Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Here He Is!

On Sunday, I picked Paul up at his apartment, and we headed down to S. Carrollton and St. Charles to board the St. Charles streetcar. Of course, I was introduced to Belle and Maggie and we took an instant liking to each other. They are feisty girls, and I like girls with spirit. We headed out with the girls tucked away in Paul's brief case.

Here is Paul, the BB on the streetcar. Alas! I have only a very few pictures of Paul. When I enjoy a person's company, I don't think much about recording the moment, because I'm into the moment right then. I had forgotten how noisy the streetcars are clattering down the tracks with the windows open to catch the breeze. It makes conversation a bit difficult, but we persevered and managed to carry on.

Lovely houses and trees line St. Charles Avenue for much of the way. Two are pictured here. Of course, to own and maintain these houses, one must have money, in no small amount. The old oak trees took a beating during Katrina, losing many limbs, but they are coming back nicely.











We got off the streetcar at Canal Street and walked to the Palace Café a couple of blocks away. Pictured below is the balcony, which is an attractive feature of the interior of the restaurant.


Due, no doubt, to his evangelical background, Paul had never had a Sazerac. As he noted in his post on our day together, it is not our official state drink, but nevertheless, he wanted one. I had my usual glass of wine, but I took a sip of his Sazerac, since the last one I had was many long years ago. My conclusion is that it is better in the sipping than in having a whole glass of it to drink.

I won't bore you with the details of what we ate at the brunch, but it was tasty. Paul and I had wonderful conversation during the brunch ranging over many subjects. Below is a picture of the adorable Maggie "testing" out Paul's drink. He posted a similar picture, but I had to have my own.



I now present the handsome Paul standing before the lovely staircase at the Palace, which we then left behind to walk to St. Louis Cathedral. His glasses are a little sparkly, but, nevertheless, he looks good. This post with pictures took me so long to finish that I will leave part two about our walk, our time in the French Quarter, and more pictures for another day.



Paul's post is so much better than mine. If we don't agree, then I leave it to you to decide who's telling the truth.

21 comments:

  1. What fun! Thanks for sharing, esp. the pictures. But I don't even know what a Sazerac is--guess I'll have to google it. I never heard of it before either. (sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, here's a recipe via our dear friend Dennis from an earlier post that I did on the Sazerac cocktail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would always trust Grandmère to tell the more accurate story. I grew up in a family that likes to "embroider" our tales. Maggie and Belle certainly have their versions too. They seemed to have a good time, though they do find my briefcase rather stuffy.

    I eagerly look forward to the next installment as our own Dixie Diva cum raconteur (raconteuse?) tells more of our adventures.

    Thanks, Mimi. Your descriptions of me are always most charitable and set a high bar for me to live up to.

    I so enjoy romping with you!

    Hugs and kisses,
    the BB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul, I was tempted to make the title "Here he is! Mr. America!" Remember the Miss America song sung by Bert Parks? Or are you too young?

    What about this "romping"? Moi romping!

    Hugs and kisses back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my- I am so damn jealous. I love you both and want to hang out with you both.

    And Mimi, you know I think you are beautiful, but you are "not my type."

    Paul is gorgeous.

    In addition to my married status, I suspect I am not "his type" either.

    Deep sigh. He still looks dreamy to me... and he seems so very nice.

    BTW - romping? I had the same reaction.

    Paul you naughty boy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are both gorgeous - there!

    I loved reading both accounts.

    And Mimi, when I come to NOLA (it will be when, not if) I want me one of them Sazeracs. I saw Dennis's recipe back then, but I think the drink will gain by being drunk it its native habitat, so I am willing to wait.

    Note: Mimi, I thought of you tonight because I had a glass of Shiraz for the first time in many many weeks. With a dinner involving a quantity of fresh garlic.

    As for romping -- you admitted to having an inner trollop, so I think romping is well within the realm of possibility.

    So glad you are enjoying each other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such lovely pictures, Mimi. I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear. I know some folks think of racier things when they hear the word "romp," but I have long used the term for a fun outing. For that matter, any outing. If I went off wandering into bookstores and strolling outdoors, my ex would refer to it as "a bear romp," me being his bear, of course. I would lose track of time, as one should in a good romp, simply enjoying oneself and letting go of preoccupations.

    So if I speak of romps, please don't let the horses be startled. I could never forget that Grandmère is a lady (though I might occasionally forget that I am usually a gentleman).

    I even zippered up the briefcase when turning onto Canal Street to protect my girls from improper influences (or kidnappers).

    [And I know y'all are teasing.]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paul is a joy to be with, and if he wants to call our day a romp, who am I to say it isn't so?

    Thanks to all for the kind words. We had a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do believe that Paul *is* Mr. America---and I echo everything that Fran said. (Well, I'm not married, but you get the drift...)

    I also second Jane---it's a "when not if" thing for me, as well. Beware, Mimi--one of these days, you are going to face an invasion of blogoids. Won't Grandpere be surprised?! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maggie (who comments occasionally, but does not have her own blog) and I have made a pact to come down and visit you. I respectfully request a visit to Domilese's at the corner of Annunciation and Tchoupitoulas, please.

    Best. Shrimp Po'Boys. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Y'all are catching on, Jane and Doxy. Domilese's it is for po-boys, but I may want an erster po-boy myself.

    Hi, Maggie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The blogosphere rallying to do its part in the rebirth of New Orleans! The people are wonderful here. Next thing you know it will be some huge jambalaya jamboree with bloggers from all over.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah do think somethin' be happenin' heah.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My previous job used to take me to N.O. several times a year, but now I haven't been back since '96. I miss it like the dickens!

    I think a romp with Grandmere & the Bloggers sounds delightful!

    Add to my wish list: muffuletta in the courtyard at Napoleon House.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooohhhh, Muffulettas! Lisa, you MUST come and join us.

    I want to have a roast beef sammich at Mother's, and breakfast at the Camellia Grill. And beignets, natch.

    Mimi--which restaurant makes the best jambalaya, IYHO? Because I want to go there too.

    I asked Dear Friend today if he would come along, and he said "When do we leave?" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Paul and I looked in at the Napoleon House on Sunday. When I was in college we used to hang out there. It was a cool place for wanna-be "intellectuals", students, graduate students, and young instructors. Back then, they had the old basket-covered wine bottles with candles in them on the tables and classical music playing in the background.

    The Camellia Grill and Mothers are necessary stops. I confess to ignorance on the place that serves the best jambalaya, but my first thought would be a soul food restaurant.

    All I can say is, "Let's do it!"

    FWIW, muffalettas from Central Grocery are known as the best.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, Camellia Grill and beignets at CDM for sure!

    And I really can't visit N.O. without a pilgrimage to the zoo in Audubon Park.

    It's only 800 miles from here. And I haven't had a good road trip in about three years.

    OCICBINO!

    What about a pilgrimage to the Shrine of the Blessed Mimi? (It's only another hour.)

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.