Wednesday, June 11, 2008

They're Talking About Gov. Jindal's Exorcism

Talking Points Memo has taken note of our governor's participation in an exorcism (or so Jindal called it):

Bobby Jindal, the 36-year old governor of Louisiana, is being taken seriously by the national press as a candidate on the shortlist to be John McCain's Vice President. No one doubts that he's a political prodigy -- his impressive resume includes stints as president of the state university system, a Congressman and now governor.

But one of Jindal's job titles hasn't gotten much attention -- and it just might prompt a few questions if his Veep candidacy gains steam: Exorcist.


What impresses me most about Jindal's resumé is his nearly 100% loyal support of all of Bush's mad schemes, both at home and abroad, while he was in the House of Representatives.

I have no doubt that this wider notice of his participation in an exorcism will lessen his chances of becoming McCain's running mate, if he ever was a serious contender. The word of the exorcism has been around locally for some time, but it didn't seem to make much difference to Louisiana voters in the House race and the gubernatorial election. However, in a national election, the story of the exorcism could be a tad radioactive.

TPM failed to take note of the local bloggers who have talked about the story for years, except for one link to The Daily Kingfish, added in an update.

Thanks to Oyster for the tip.

UPDATE: Time Magazine's blog has picked up the story, and the full article from the New Oxford Review is available now, probably only for a limited time, but I printed a copy.

8 comments:

  1. Compared to the antics of some of our previous governors, exorcism seems pretty tame, especially since he was a college kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ormonde, it's a weird story, but one that Jindal thought was important enough to publish at the time. I know that it's old, but still....

    What I can't figure out is, if he truly thought he was contending with the devil, why didn't he call a priest?

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the version I heard, they eventually called in a minister. Or perhaps they called in a minister, but the minister wouldn't help out. My memory is a little hazy on the point, and to be perfectly truthful, it's not important enough for me to go back and look up. I won't be voting for McCain no matter who his VP pick may be.

    However, the exorcism story may be a plus--provides his bona fides as a member of the Too-Religious Right, and therefore make him a good choice as a way of courting them.

    I had thought he was born into a Catholic family, but it seems he's a convert from Hinduism. Some former neighbors of ours were Indian Catholics (Malabar Rite, isn't that the correct term?).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kishnevi, I read the account in the New Oxford Review, but it was a while ago. If you buy access, you can post the article, but only for a couple of days. One of the Louisiana bloggers had it, and I meant to make a copy, but I never did. Of course, if you copy it from someone else's site, you can't post it. I can't say for sure whether a minister was called or not.

    When Jindal converted to Catholicism, has family was extremely upset, but they finally came around.

    I have heard Jindal speak, and he's a strange fella. I think he's a big phony, just another politician, posing as reformer.

    What amazes me was that so many folks here in Louisana saw him as the Second Coming, including members of my family, who now are beginning to concede that I was right. Apparently the Second Coming reputation is spreading around the country just as the folks in Louisiana are becoming jaded.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I have heard Jindal speak, and he's a strange fella. I think he's a big phony, just another politician, posing as reformer."

    Bingo. Like you, I know a lot of people who came under his spell, but they are coming around very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mimi, from what you've shared about the man, I'd carry holy water if I went anywhere near him. Remind me to bless a gallon for you before I return permanently to New Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kishnevi, I reread Jindal's article. One of the girls in the group tried to get a minister to come, but he would not. Jindal thought of calling a priest, but he feared that whatever the priest would do would not work. Jindal apparently suffered a crisis of faith that evening but came through with his faith intact. Whatever happened that night, Jindal was greatly affected and frightened by it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul, we cross-posted. I'll have my jug of water with me next time.

    Apparently, Jindal was in a relationship with the girl at one time, a fairly close relationship, but they had agreed to no physical touching whatsoever - not even chaste touching. No holding hands, no arm around the shoulder, much less kissing. He was sometimes chided by his friends for being emotionally detached and distant.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.