Monday, July 7, 2008

Waterboarding Is Torture

Over the past several years, I have disagreed with Christopher Hitchens on many occasions, especially in his support of the Iraq War. When the situation in Iraq turned very bad, he continued to defend the decision to go to war, saying only that the aftermath of the invasion had been catastrophically bungled. On the fifth anniversary of the beginning of the war, he insisted that the invasion was the right thing to do:

From The Australian:

We were already deeply involved in the life and death struggle of that country, and March 2003 happens to mark the only time that we decided to intervene, after a protracted and open public debate, on the right side and for the right reasons. This must, and still does, count for something.

Our opinions on the Iraq War, as yet, diverge, but I now find myself in agreement with Hitchens in another matter. He has voluntarily submitted to having himself waterboarded, and here is his account:

Here he is in Vanity Fair:

Here is the most chilling way I can find of stating the matter. Until recently, “waterboarding” was something that Americans did to other Americans. It was inflicted, and endured, by those members of the Special Forces who underwent the advanced form of training known as sere (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape). In these harsh exercises, brave men and women were introduced to the sorts of barbarism that they might expect to meet at the hands of a lawless foe who disregarded the Geneva Conventions. But it was something that Americans were being trained to resist, not to inflict.
....

You may have read by now the official lie about this treatment, which is that it “simulates” the feeling of drowning. This is not the case. You feel that you are drowning because you are drowning—or, rather, being drowned, albeit slowly and under controlled conditions and at the mercy (or otherwise) of those who are applying the pressure. The “board” is the instrument, not the method. You are not being boarded. You are being watered.


You may have noticed that the title of his piece is "Believe Me, It’s Torture". I think we must believe him and the others who say that it is not "simulated" drowning, but actual drowning, from which you may be revived - or not, when things go terribly wrong. But then, a procedure like this is terribly wrong and shameful when sanctioned and put into operation by any country that calls itself civilized. I am told that the decision to allow waterboarding came from the very highest levels of government.

14 comments:

  1. It's good to see that Hitchens had a lucid moment. I used to read him regularly in The Nation, but like you, for the last few years have been in disagreement with a lot of his thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that only a knave or a fool would deny that waterboarding is torture. I hope that one day Bush and his accomplices are brought to justice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see Bush/Cheney and their cohorts on trial. I want to see them have the fair trials that they have refused to so many prisoners. I want to see them brought to justice. But I believe that will not happen. However, they may not be able to leave the country, once they're out of office. That's probably the worst of it, and they may not care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dennis Kucinich has drawn up articles of impeachment on both W and Cheney. Your elected representatives have taken the matter to committee where I imagine it will die.

    I think a full-on televised trial would be cathartic for the nation and send a strong message to the next president that he(and it will surly be a HE) is not above the law.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, Lindy. The articles of impeachment will be left to die.

    ReplyDelete
  6. however gruesome, I thank Hitchens for voluntarily undergoing this and saying what we have believed to be true. Will it help? don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diane, who knows if it will help, but we know silence accomplishes nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw the video- while not liking Hitchens much, he did a public service.

    God help us all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this. What a world we live in eh?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's Hitchens' in his typical grandstanding and self-promotional style, but in this case for an excellent cause, so I'll take it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being born in the 50s I grew up with the notion that Americans were the good guys. The older I get the more I see that is just a big lie. It makes me so sad. Who on earth ever believed we'd have to say, "torture's bad, mm kay?" I really hope I never come face to face with W. I'd end up in jail for slapping the living sh*t outta him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Being Peace, the US government has been implicated in aiding and abetting torture for a good many years, but at least we thought of it as something shameful to be hidden away. Not that that changes our responsibility for having done evil. However, this maladministration seems to do it's torture proudly in the name of defending us from terrorists

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know...I had friends and classmates who were in Viet Nam. There's just something about finding out those things that makes me feel violated.

    BTW...I've "borrowed" your line, THIS BLOG IS NOT WINDSOR COMPLIANT for my blog. If that is not okay let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Being Peace, I am honored that you want to use them. I believe I borrowed the words from elsewhere, but I can't remember where.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.