Sunday, August 3, 2008

Bishop Charles Jenkins Of Louisiana From Lambeth

The Bishop's Blog

Lambeth - Friday - Aug. 1st
Dear Friends,

The last several meetings of this Lambeth Conference shall soon be over. The anxiety here is greater than I expected. No matter the outcome, I wish to express my gratitude to the Archbishop of Canterbury and other leaders here for providing us with this opportunity.

The format of the Conference has been much discussed and disrespected. It seems to me to reflect the work of the Holy Spirit in the miracle of Pentecost. This is to say that all have been given a chance to be heard and understood. Voices from the “edges” of the English speaking world have been heard. In the Indaba to which I am assigned, these voices have been from the Church in India, the Sudanese Church, and the south American Church. I have been taken again to the very roots of my Christian belief by the words and actions of the Church in Japan, the Church in the Indian Ocean and the Church in Burma. These voices which might not enter the fray of debate have proved powerful. This reflects the work of the Holy Spirit in Pentecost. No matter the outcome, this process has been the right thing.

I do not share in the anxiety so easily touched around here. I am optimistic that the mission of God shall continue in and through the Anglican Communion. In the final analysis, this is God’s Church and we have not been brought so far to be abandoned now.

Pray for us and rejoice.

+Charles


Had Bishop Gene Robinson's voice been heard, I'd be more kindly disposed to the Lambeth process. I meant to post Bishop Jenkins words without commentary, but I simply could not stay silent, because I believe Bishop Gene's exclusion was so very wrong. I continue to pray for the bishops.

15 comments:

  1. I'm with you Mimi.. I know the voices of the other parts of the world are important but this Bishop wasn't there just to be edified by that- maybe at a later date he will say how he put forth a voice of where this part of the world is and so influence hearts and minds.. and maybe not, I don't even know where this Bishop stands on any issue.. the geo-political issues are huge from the other countries but on our one issue (I know small by comparison to the famine, etc of 3rd world countries but important nonetheless) he said nothing.. on the 3 legged school blog a not very good sounding document was quoted from Lambeth so I think he's not saying anything because there isn't anything in that regard good to say.. Anyway I noticed Fr. T. hasn't had a posting in awhile I hope he's OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, Grandmere, we must always pray for the bishops - even those who drive us to absolute despair at times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every voice is important - every voice should be heard - every voice sound be counted. Each and every ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just between you and me, Mimi (koff) I think we'll be subjected to quite a bit of post-Lambeth hot air.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fran, Bishop Jenkins voted against consenting to Bp. Gene's consecration as bishop. As to where he stands on the issue now, I won't speak for him. I don't believe that Terry-Jake means to post every day. He wants to listen.

    All voices should be heard, and we must continue to pray.

    Mike, do you have a cold, love?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fran and Mimi,

    I am impressed that someone mentioned Pentecost - as long as "they" don't throw me under the bus. "My" voice is a new voice to so many. God grant that new tongues are also heard. The exclusion of +Gene remains an outrage. And Fr. T. is listening so intently that I am flubber-busted, God bless 'im. (He will break out when he has heard enough to define the next topic, I'm absolutely positively sure. Or else he is on vacation in transition. LOL. Thanks, Terry.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scott, the mention of Pentecost is indeed good.

    I'm concerned about the use of the label "church" for the Anglican Communion. The AC is not a church.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right the AC is not a Church.

    The Anglican Church is the Church of England, but the ABC has been using the term Anglican Church to describe the AC for the past two weeks and the Bishops are probably imprinted with it.

    We'll just have to de-program the Bishops at our up-coming Conventions, Deanery Meetings, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gerry, I have printed the ABC's Concluding Presidential Address. It's long, nearly four closely-spaced pages in Wordpad. I will tackle that tomorrow. In it he speaks of "a global church of interdependent communities". When did the AC become a church? Was a resolution passed to that effect? Must we stop calling ourselves the Episcopal Church? I believe that you're right about the de-programing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Actually, according to the New Testament there are only two justifiable uses of the word 'church'. The first is the one universal church throughout the world and throughout time. The second is the local church round the corner to which you belong. Use of the word 'church' to describe a national entity is every bit as unbiblical as using it to describe something international but not universal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this. His is an important voice that must be repeated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tim, thanks for that word. So we should not call ourselves the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Church of Canada? Interesting.

    BAE, you're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mimi. I'm sorry I haven't visited much lately. My life has been a bit crazy but ALSO... I don't feel it's my place to comment a whole lot about Lambeth. I will say that I feel badly about where the AC seems to be heading. It must feel a bit like watching the 2000 election all over again in slow motion: "Noooooooo…"

    We progressive types, in both politics and religion, must be specially "blessed." We seem to be well-equipped to put aside despair and fight for another day.

    On the other hand, it ain't over till it's over!! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It seems that +Gene's exclusion has actually had the ironic side-effect of making him every bit of a rock star that the British press and the bishops are making ++RW out to be. By all reports his witness has been very powerful.

    Of course, his exclusion remains travesty. I'm just trying to see how God is using +Gene's exclusion to bring more people in ... maybe I'm grasping at straws and seeing silver linings where there is only dross ... but hey, i'm young and foolish, so i guess i can be forgiven if i seem a bit naive.

    ReplyDelete
  15. PJ, take off your hair shirt. I have been quite remiss in visiting the blogs of my friends lately. And I'm glad Lambeth is over.

    RB, Bishop Gene was a more powerful presence at Lambeth in his exclusion by the ABC, than if he'd been allowed in the meetings. Now, as you say, he's a rock star. I'm with you. His is a voice of hope.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.