Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Four And Twenty Elders


The Four and Twenty Elders Casting their Crowns before the Divine Throne - William Blake

And whenever the living creatures give glory and honour and thanks to the one who is seated on the throne, who lives for ever and ever, the twenty-four elders fall before the one who is seated on the throne and worship the one who lives for ever and ever; they cast their crowns before the throne, singing,

‘You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honour and power,
for you created all things,
and by your will they existed and were created.’


Revelation 4:9-11

The imagery and the prayer from "Revelation" captivate me now and have done so for many years, and I love William Blake's representation of the passage. To me, it's the image of true worship, the attitude of the heart with which we approach the throne of grace. This post is for me and for anyone else who enjoys it.

5 comments:

  1. Nice Blake, Mimi.

    Yes, I'm (I hope)--for about an hour now, so where's the party?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The party's right here, my friend, and at your place, too. For a while, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used this Blake last night on EfM Online.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's powerful, Ann. Were you reading the story of the murder of Abel?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Grandmere. I needed this. I usually shudder when it comes to this Book --but I so easily forget it's other powerful imagery.

    We did a really good study of this book last year --used the text: Conversations with Scripture: Revelation by F.W. Schmidt, published by Morehouse, 2005. I was surprised at the number of folks who took the class because they had such negative experiences with this Scripture shoved at them.

    Again, thank you Grandmere.

    --margaret

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.