Sunday, November 30, 2008

First Sunday Of Advent

From Trinity Wall Street:

Advent is a season of expectation and hope as Christians around the world anticipate the celebration of Jesus’ birth. In that spirit, Trinity Wall Street has created an original online Advent calendar that reveals a new message of hope every day during Advent.

Beginning November 30, 2008 and running through December 25, 2008, The Light Shines in the Darkness: An Advent Calendar of Hope uses music, video, photography, scripture, poetry, and more to show how everyday people are finding hope in unexpected places. Listen as a father uses song and photographs to tell how he finds hope in a morning commute with his young daughter; learn why one unique senior citizen finds hope in Star Trek; and how an inmate at Sing Sing has found direction, faith, and, most importantly, hope behind the bars of a maximum security prison. The calendar can be viewed at www.trinitywallstreet.org/advent.

The link to the Advent Calendar from Trinity Wall Street will remain on the sidebar during the season. Click on the words below the calendar to go to Trinity's website, where you will find a "message of hope" for each day.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, very cool! The Trinity blog (today's entry) helped me track down my old friend Mark Bozzuti-Jones, whose old e-mail hasn't worked in a while. He's the Rev. in the Episcopal Church, but I knew him when he was a young Jesuit ;-). He married a nice Catholic girl (she was Bozzuti, he was Jones, and they both hyphenated) and they both became Episcopalians, up in the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts. Knew him in Berkeley when he was studying theology and kept in touch later. He's a character, and a wonderful one. He's Jamaican by birth. You would love him. Great dancer, too. I have good memories of a Zydeco dance (a church benefit - in Oakland church benefits, Catholic ones at least, are either Zydeco dances or luaus!) which he and another young Jesuit and I attended together. So you two could dance together. He would love you, too!

    Gotta go preach. More later. Thanks for this. Check out the Episcopal Diocese of Washington Advent calendar too. I'll post a link at my blog later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, I wanna dance with Fr Mark! So. You was a'dancin' with the Jesuits? What wickedness!

    I used the Diocese of Washington's calendar last year, so I thought I choose a different one this year. I like the inclusion of a blogger in the message, especially a blogger who uses poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that Trinity Advent calendar. Thanks for the link, Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Mimi, honey, I started dancing with Jesuits in the 1970s, two decades before the expedition to the Zydeco church benefit in deepest Oakland. Now you know all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane, I promise I won't tell your committee.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.