Thursday, November 6, 2008

More On Gene and Barack From Ruth

More background on Ruth Gledhill's blog to the article to which Fr David Heron linked:

[Bishop Gene]: 'I was actually sought out by his campaign. He had quite an extraordinary outreach to the religious community. By that I mean all religious communities. And through those contacts I had the opportunity to speak to him. And I must say I don't know if it is an expression here in England or not but he is the genuine article. I think he is exactly who he says he is. And I serve on the church pension fund board at the national level and I serve with someone who has been his friend since Barack was in college and says what you see is exactly who he has been for as long as I've known him.

'He is impressive, he's smart, he is an amazing listener. For someone who's called on to speak all the time when he asks you a question it is not for show, he is actually wanting to know what you think and listens, or at least gives you that impression. I think we've had eight years of someone who has listened to almost no-one. So the thought of having a president who gathers the best people around him and then listens to what they have to say to him, especially the things he doesn't want to hear I think he will be open to, that is very refreshing. So I'm absolutely delighted about him.

'To see the tears in the eyes of African-Americans, it's just been a profoundly, I would say religious, experience, very exciting.'

I asked him how they greeted each other.

Bishop Robinson said: 'The first words out of his mouth were, 'Well you're certainly causing a lot of trouble!' My response to him was, 'Well that makes two of us!'


Read the whole post. Ruth includes a link to a tape of the interview, if you care to listen.

Bishop Gene was in London to receive the "Hero of the Year" award from Stonewall.

Thanks to Canada Tim for the link. The English-speaking foreigners are taking over my blog.

12 comments:

  1. The English-speaking foreigners are taking over my blog.

    Only because you're such a hospitable host!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bishop Robinson said: 'The first words out of his mouth were, 'Well you're certainly causing a lot of trouble!' My response to him was, 'Well that makes two of us!' +VGR

    That, is hysterically funny! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, of course, Tim. I'm hospitable to anyone who sends me good material. I believe that it's great that Obama consults widely and genuinely listens and wants to learn. Quite a contrast to the present incumbent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all realize that there is no such word as foreigner.

    I know what you meant. But it got me to thinking how much I dislike that word. Nothing is foreign to God.

    Bless you for what you do and for your blog. j

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many wonderful presents this week...
    Is it Christmas already?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm English Grandmere. You're the foreigner

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leonardo, I loved that, too.

    Counterlight, it surely feels like Christmas.

    Jay, thank you. Thanks to the foreigners, too. Whoops! Can't say that, can I?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honestly, grandmere, I'm so grateful for this election (I was among the many who completely broke down at 11 p.m. - the transformation of Grant Park since 1968 was stunning, among other things...)...however...

    Was this Pilate asking for an interview with Jesus...again?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Obama is Pilate?

    Scott, I'm not sure I'm following you on this one. Is it about Obama saying he's against gay marriage?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree. That was wrong. I fear it was done from political expediency, although I can't see inside Obama. He's a flawed human, like the rest of us. Would we want the alternative? We had to choose, and I'm going to be happy with the flawed Obama. He's not the Messiah, and I never thought he was. My default position on politicians is distrust. "Prove yourself trustworthy," I say to them. Of course they don't hear me.

    I don't forget what Bishop Gene said to Ruth, "One of the things Barack and I did talk about when we were together was just the experience of being first and the danger of that and we talked about being demonised by one side and, I don't know if the word is angelicised, by the other."

    We must not lay the burden of being the Messiah on Bishop Gene either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know. That's why I have moved on with my most recent post.

    A new post is coming soon.

    Thanks, grandmere, we agree.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.