Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I'm Dick Cheney, And I Approved Water-Boarding

From the L. A. Times:

Vice President Dick Cheney said Monday that he was directly involved in approving severe interrogation methods used by the CIA, and that the prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, should remain open indefinitely.
....

Cheney's comments also mark the first time that he has acknowledged playing a central role in clearing the CIA's use of an array of controversial interrogation tactics, including a simulated drowning method known as waterboarding.

"I was aware of the program, certainly, and involved in helping get the process cleared," Cheney said in an interview with ABC News.

Asked whether he still believes it was appropriate to use the waterboarding method on terrorism suspects, Cheney said: "I do."


Shameless, with no moral compass, or a compass that is woefully out of whack.

Waterboarding involves strapping a prisoner to a tilted surface, covering his face with a towel and dousing it to simulate the sensation of drowning.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! The procedure does not SIMULATE drowning. It IS drowning. The torturers have to bring them back from drowning, resuscitate them.

11 comments:

  1. I often wonder what Eleanor Roseveldt would have said?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandmere --I thought of you and this post as I read this...

    http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/12/15/rumsfeld/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry --I thought I was doing a live link.... I still don't know how to do that in the comments....

    sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is to weep. It is to rage.

    I know I should not curse but I wish him no peace and no rest until he repents or is brought to justice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Salon piece was sickening, as are Cheney's brazen admissions to putting torture policies in place. If Obama wants to make a fresh start, there will have to be investigations, and, very likely, trials. War crimes were committed. There's no question about that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Grand'mère, another Nürnberg is needed to cleanse the name and image in to World of the US.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this at Andrew Sullivan's too.

    We've lost our way, as a country.

    I hope we find it again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jonathan Turley, a constitutional law professor from Georgetown University, made the point that people have been tried all over the world for these very procedures.

    Lord, have mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder how he'd feel about the process if, well, someone did it to him? I'd add "or someone he loves," but the jury is still out on that whole "Does Rove have a functioning heart?" thing.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.