Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Bacon Sandwich Cures Hangover

From the Telegraph.

A bacon sandwich really does cure a hangover - by boosting the level of amines which clear the head, scientists have found.

Researchers claim food also speeds up the metabolism helping the body get rid of the booze more quickly.

Elin Roberts, of Newcastle University's Centre for Life said: "Food doesn't soak up the alcohol but it does increase your metabolism helping you deal with the after-effects of over indulgence. So food will often help you feel better.


When you wake up the morning after an overdose of the drink, wishing you had died in the night, have someone who still cares about you prepare you a bacon sandwich, or, failing that, get your arse out of bed, or off the floor, or wherever you wake up and fix yourself a bacon sandwich. The scientist says so.

Thanks to Lapin.

11 comments:

  1. Mimi, I'm going to make myself a BLT to celebrate the Vermont senate (26 to 4) and the house (100 to 49) OVERRIDING the governor's veto. Marriage Equality has now been legislated by the people of Vermont, who found that the notion of civil unions was not really equal.

    Of course, this is CIVIL marriage, and no church or clergy have to perform any marriage ceremonies contrary to their religious belief.

    Just thought you'd want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crapaud, I'm pleased to know. That's worth a BLT celebration.

    Civil unions are not marriage. It's like the old school segregation. Separate is never equal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I thought EVERYONE knew that! ;-)

    (Doxy's Unofficial Motto: "A day without bacon is a day without sunshine!")

    I'm so incredibly happy that VT did the right thing!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doxy, did you note that the scientist is from Newcastle? Could it be Professor MadPriest in disguise?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who can eat bacon when they have a genunine hangover? Have you people all got stomachs made of steel?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I generally go for a big greasy burger and fries. I believe the fat traps & neutralizes the alcohol molecules. I wonder if bacon is even more efficacious?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erika, you could give it a try. You can't know until you try.

    Lisa, I don't know. You'll need to do a comparison test of the two cures the next two times you overindulge and see which works best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mimi
    when I had my first very bad hangover my mother sweetly offered me a cooked breakfast. I KNOW!!

    If I get through a glass of water and a slice of try toast I do well!

    Not that I have much experience, you understand.... mostly just guessing....

    ReplyDelete
  9. All right, all right, Erika! I concede. You can't do the bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's the problem, Erika - you don't get drunk often enough to be able to handle the symptoms and function.

    The rest of us, by contrast ......

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.