Saturday, August 8, 2009

"The Episcopal Church Has A Life" - 2

The article by Fr. Tom Ehrich, which I removed from my blog, because it was available only through purchase is now available at the IndyStar:

Now that the Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, has slapped my church's wrists for refusing to marginalize gays and has threatened to have us become second-class citizens in the Anglican Communion, I say this to Archbishop Williams:

The Episcopal Church has a life. Not a perfect life. In fact, a messy one, a life that could be more than it is. But we do have a life.

That life preceded the formation of the Anglican Communion. That life will survive our being marginalized within the Anglican Communion.
....

If it's any consolation, Archbishop, I don't like some of the changes in my church, either. I think we have rewarded institutional tinkering and stopped dreaming. We depend on style and not substance. We worry about inherited property and not about the world outside our doors. We fuss about who is ordained when we should be nurturing healthy congregations.

Fear abounds. Fear of offending longtime members and deep-pocket givers. Fear of speaking freely and dreaming grandly. Fear of trying hard and maybe failing. Fear of preaching a Gospel more radical than anything we've said.

But many are determined to get beyond fear -- by taking one brave step at a time, learning to be nimble and to listen, learning from our failures, taking risks.

The dilemma facing Episcopalians is that "soon, and very soon we are going to see the King." Our buildings may crumble, our endowments may tumble, and all we have left is each other and our faith.
....

I think our best days lie ahead. I doubt that our future will bear much resemblance to our past. But we will discover, once the burden of inherited overhead is lifted, that we have much to give.

And so, Archbishop, rather than try to stir even more fear in a church struggling with fear, I suggest you join Jesus in the commandment he actually did give: "Do not be afraid."


The article is very good. I'm pleased that all may read it now. For what it's worth, I agree with Fr. Tom that our best days lie ahead. We will be forced to get back to the basics of Christianity.

As I said in the comments at Fr. Jake's:

Does schism concern me? Somewhat. But I won't mourn what Rowan Williams wants to make of the Anglican Communion.
....

But I see communion in the form of relationships continuing, with or without the top-heavy structures, and perhaps the communion will be the better for it. I hope that we in TEC take special care to maintain relationships with fellow Christians in countries where the people are poor and even destitute.

In the long term, I see the decline in the mainline denominations continuing until the time for the death of the church, as we know it, arrives. Perhaps we'll see merging of denominations, which could be a good thing. I see hard financial times ahead.

But none of this causes me to despair, because the church, the Body of Christ, the Kingdom of God on earth, will surely prevail. I envision the model for the church resembling the very early years of the Christian church.


Thanks to Ann for the new link.

18 comments:

  1. I love Tom Ehrich. His daily On A Journey meditations are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erika, aren't they available only through paid subscription?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erm.

    Actually under natural law you are all second class citizens because you are foreign (not English).

    I think you'll find this gay thing makes you third class citizens in the Anglican Communion.

    It's just a technical point but it is something you will want to correct before some other English person deigns to visit your quaint, colonial blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, MadPriest, the words in the quote are not mine to correct, but perhaps Tom will deign to visit my quaint, colonial blog and read your comment and make the correction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where's the like button? Oh, wait, this is not facebook ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan! You have to say something here or at least leave a smilie or a frownie.

    I'm about talked out on the subject of perkiness over there. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is too trivial to post at Facebook. I do get my laughs there with my friends, and I'm grateful for that.

    We do serious stuff, too, like fixing the big internet attack yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Göran and I fixed it double-handedly, which is truly miraculous, since I can't think of any two others who know less about technology than my Swedish friend and me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Add me to that category! I had to get my boy to set me up on FB!

    So, did you decide it was the Russians?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mimi
    yes, they are. I have subscribed to them for the last 2 years and still find them worth reading.
    At $24/year (35 if you include the weekly essays) it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan, it was the Russians, and we fixed them, too.

    Erika, I'm sure that they're good, but I probably won't pay. I'm cheap, and there's good free stuff around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Göran and I fixed it double-handedly, which is truly miraculous, since I can't think of any two others who know less about technology than my Swedish friend and me."

    Oh, so true ;=)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that you and Göran had dealt with the internet problems could you please address Central Asia and the Middle East? I know you can do it.

    Thanks for persevering and making this available to us. Hear, hear!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Automated out of office reply: Mimi and Göran are unavailable at the moment. As soon as they have fixed the Central Asia and Middle East problems they will get back to you. Please leave a message.

    ReplyDelete
  14. PS: Anonymous is me, Erika. Google won't recognise me:-(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Paul, the Middle East and Central Asia are our next big projects.

    Thank Ann for the link

    Erika, whom Google won't recognize, thank you. Imagine the messages when we return!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.