Saturday, August 29, 2009

Feast Of John Bunyan


From James Kiefer at the Lectionary:
Bunyan was born in 1628 near Bedford, in the agricultural midlands of England. He was the son of a tinker (a maker and mender of metal pots). He had little schooling. During the English Civil War, he served in the Parliamentary Army. He underwent a period of acute spiritual anxiety, and finally found peace in a Baptist congregation. He became a lay preacher, while earning his living as a tinker.

After the Restoration in 1660, Bunyan (under suspicion for having fought on the anti-Anglican side) was ordered to preach no more, and, since he refused to desist, he was several times sentenced to jail, where he spent his time studying, preaching to his fellow prisoners, and writing. His first substantial work was an autobiography, Grace Abounding To the Chief of Sinners. This was followed by other works, of which by far the most read and most loved is his The Pilgrim's Progress From This World To That Which Is To Come, usually called Pilgrim's Progress. The work recounts in allegorical form the experience of a person (called Christian), from his his first awareness of his sinfulness and spiritual need, to his personal conversion to Christ, to his walk as a believer. He is shown as a pilgrim in this world on his way to the "Celestial City," which will be his true home forever. The work was an immediate sensation, and its popularity endured. For a century and more thereafter, there were many English-speaking Christians who were thoroughly familiar with only two books, The Bible and Pilgrim's Progess.
I love The Pilgrim's Progress. Bunyan's Puritan theology is not my theology, yet I love his book. Amidst Christian's awareness of the Wrath to Come for those who are not saved, are many references to God's love and tender mercies. To me, there's a sweetness about the book that shines through and overcomes the ever-present sense of impending doom. And humor, yes humor. The description of poor Mr. Fearing in the Slough of Despond brought a smile to my face the first time, I read it, and it still does today.
THE HISTORY OF MR. FEARING.

GREAT-HEART. Why, he was always afraid that he should come short of whither he had a desire to go. Every thing frightened him that he heard any body speak of, that had but the least appearance of opposition in it . I hear that he lay roaring at the Slough of Despond for about a month together; nor durst he, for all he saw several go over before him, venture, though they, many of them, offered to lend him their hand. He would not go back again neither. The Celestial City, he said, he should die if he came not to it; and yet was dejected at every difficulty, and stumbled at every straw that any body cast in his way. Well, after he had lain at the Slough of Despond a great while, as I have told you, one sunshine morning, I do not know how, he ventured, and so got over; but when he was over, he would scarce believe it. He had, I think, a Slough of Despond in his mind; a slough that he carried everywhere with him, or else he could never have been as he was.
The passage is sad, but it's also funny. It's a classic description of a depressed person, but Bunyan's manner of expressing it as "the Slough of Despond in his mind; a slough that he carried everywhere with him" is so perfect as to perhaps give even a depressed person a smile. Of course, I could be wrong.

Folks say, "How can you read that? It's so dull and boring and out of touch with the times." But it's not to me. There's much in it that is good and wise and still
The Golden Rule

‘In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets.

The Narrow Gate

‘Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road is easy that leads to destruction, and there are many who take it. For the gate is narrow and the road is hard that leads to life, and there are few who find it.


Matthew 7:12-14
PRAYER
God of peace, you called John Bunyan to be valiant for truth: Grant that as strangers and pilgrims we may at the last rejoice with all the faithful in your heavenly city; through Jesus Christ our Savior, who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Image from Wiki.

9 comments:

  1. I thoroughly agree, Mimi. I think Bunyan has a very accurate understanding of the psychology of the Christian life and he portrays it brilliantly throughout the book.

    Interestingly enough, C.S. Lewis, who was no puritan, rated 'Pilgrim's Progress' very highly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. A couple of years ago I was asked to conduct the funeral of an English professor at the University of Alberta. He had been a great Bunyan scholars, and there was a definite 'Bunyan' feel to the funeral, including the reading of Christian's arrival at the Celestial City at the end. It was a grand event!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a grand event!

    Oh Tim, I'm sure it was! You know that's a thought. I'll have to read that passage again. I may want it for my grand celebration. I can't find my copy of the book - no surprise as my books are not well organized - but I'm sure I can find it online, just as I found the passage on Mr Fearing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always confuse him with Paul Bunyan - the one with the Blue Ox.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann, I don't get the two men confused, but I do stop and think so I don't type Paul instead of John.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a Free church (Calvinist) teacher in 4th grade who read Pilrim's Progress and sang funny songs to the guitarr...

    I hated every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Göran, did you hate the book or the funny songs?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both really... and the poor teacher too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe it was the translation also. The fellow was from the inland and didn't know any English (my mother had a session with him before each lesson). Maybe the translation current in Evo circles was simply bad. Booring as it was.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.