Sunday, September 6, 2009

Bill Moyers - "Mr. President, We Need A Fighter"



Bill Moyers gives us the truth instead of truthiness on health care reform.

Here's a suggestion, Mr. President: ask Josh Marshall to draft your speech. Josh is the founder of the website talkingpointsmemo.com. He's a journalist and historian, not a politician. He doesn't split things down the middle and call it a victory for the masses. He's offered the simplest and most accurate description yet of a public insurance plan; one that essentially asks people: would you like the option — the voluntary option — of buying into Medicare before you're 65? Check it out, Mr. President.

This health care thing is make or break for your leadership, but for us, it's life and death. No more Mr. Nice Guy, Mr. President. We need a fighter. "

Watch it if you haven't seen it. It's a little over 5 minutes. You can do it. Or read the entire text of Moyers' special comment to President Obama.

Today many of us will write to the president about health care reform. Remember President Obama gives his big speech on Wednesday. Here is the link to send a letter by email, or you can sign one of the many petitions circulating on the internet. Sorry to be late in posting.

H/T to Jane R. at Acts of Hope. Jane said, "Do it!" so I had to do it.

UPDATE: I'm angry now. Not that it does any good. Why must we beg for decent health care reform from a Democratic president?

11 comments:

  1. I sent my letter! Thanks, Mimi and Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sent my letter, too, Paul. Jane is an inspiration to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just sent mine. Moyers is right on target. Thanks to you both. It got me out of procrastination mode.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sent mine to one of our senators, and representative already and just sent an email off to the White House.
    (Thanks for the Moyer's piece. It said so much what I feel!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had written earlier this morning to the President- I had written to my senators already. I am glad to know that lots of letters are going out. I live with universal health care and it is great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all. I had already written to my Congress critters, too. Let's hope we get through to the Prez.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've written several letters but I fear this president is going to do to Health Care Reform what he's doing to Marriage Equality. What was it Moyers said? " . . .split things down the middle and call it a victory for the masses".

    I am so disappointed. Then again, I don't get death threats every five seconds. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elizabeth, even if Obama splits things down the middle or capitulates entirely, the death threats won't stop. Much of the hate is for who he is, like LGTB folks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Moyers is brilliant. Of course that makes him unsuitable for the Sunday Morning Shows he correctly describes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brian, James Wolcott described the Meet the Press gang of old wise ones as resembling a poker game for mummies. Moyers is far too good to be in their company

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your update question is so spot on.

    It's all very discouraging, isn't it?

    Bill Moyers, of course, is a national treasure.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.