Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"What joy? Whose joy?"

Another good read on the Anglican Covenant by the Rev. Dr. Gregory Quinn at the Daily Episcopalian.

Excerpts here, but there's more. Do read the entire article.

A revolutionary aspect of the English Reformation was placing the Bible in the hands of the people (“Laity” is another missing word in the Covenant). The current draft (1.2.4) speaks of the Bible, but its interpretation is primarily left in the hands of bishops and synods. Guess where that leads.

I noted with disapproval the missing mention of the laity.

The draft Covenant appeals to tradition (1.1.2). But carefully read the footnote. Tradition is not the via media that is Anglicanism’s balanced, delicately wrought heritage, but the 39 Articles and 1662 English Prayer Book (never adopted in Scotland or the United States).

Obviously, I did not read the footnote, because this came as a surprise to me. The footnote reads:

The Thirty-nine Articles of Religion, the 1662 Book of Common Prayer, and the Ordering of Bishops, Priests, and Deacons

Mercy!

Lesson: Read the footnotes.

Note to self: Brush up on the Thirty-nine Articles and the 1662 English Prayer Book, just in case....

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the preview, with footnotes, of the full article. I'll go read it.
    Every time I think of this Covenant nonsense, I hear the Kyrie elesion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The current draft (1.2.4) speaks of the Bible, but its interpretation is primarily left in the hands of bishops and synods.

    Interesting, the relentless desire for power, the ceaseless effort at control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandmere, if you read the 39 and 1662 just once, that is more than enough. Remember, those documents wouldn't/couldn't have a place for a woman that could read....

    ReplyDelete
  4. SCG, I know what you mean.

    Rmj, it's a constant struggle for the rabble. We can never let our guard down.

    Margaret, I've read the 39 articles more than once. I'm one of God's odd children, and I'd probably love using the language of 1662, but the theology is another matter. I do not believe that's the way to go.

    Those in charge of writing the Covenant seem to want to go back in time to what they fantasize as the halcyon days of Anglicanism, that never really existed. It won't work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those in charge of writing the Covenant seem to want to go back in time to what they fantasize as the halcyon days of Anglicanism, that never really existed. It won't work.

    That was never as clear to me as this article makes it (so thank you very much for that!). Something about "modernism" is driving a lot of people collectively mad. Maybe it's the loss of influence of "the church" in Western society, and a longing for whatever authority Xianity has in, say, Nigeria; or Islam, in several countries.

    Me, I dunno. I think the loss is a good thing, as it returns Xian doctrine to what it should be about: discipleship, not maintaining hierarchies. I'm all for communities and even traditions. I'm not much for bosses and rules about who can, and who cannot, be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something about "modernism" is driving a lot of people collectively mad.

    Indeed!

    I'm all for communities and even traditions. I'm not much for bosses and rules about who can, and who cannot, be.

    Then you're a man after my own heart, Rmj.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've posted about this essay myself. I'm amazed that Richard Hooker seems to be so rapidly disappearing from the Anglican tradition, as Dr. Quinn points out.
    The Via Media that he advocated to try to heal the bloodshed of 16th century English Christianity appears to have been discarded by all the anti-moderns who want "bloodie and extreme like the Holy Ghost."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Counterlight, the disappearance of Richard Hooker from the discourse is much to be regretted. There is no middle way. TEC is in heresy. We must be grateful that we are no longer under threat of burning and beheading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We must be grateful that we are no longer under threat of burning and beheading.

    True as far as it goes, but some of us are still at risk for being hung from a fence post in Wyoming, or condemned to prison in Nigeria.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WP, I know. And that's horrible. That's one of the reasons I want no part of the Covenant. It will be used to discipline and punish.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.