Monday, July 26, 2010

NOT DRIVING MISS DAISY


Miss Mimi will leave on August 8 to fly across the ocean to join her favorite adopted niece, Miss Cathy, to travel by car in the West and Northwest of Scotland. Miss Cathy smokes cheroots, swears like a modern girl, and makes a habit of furtively concealing small silver flasks of strong liquor about the car when she thinks no one is looking. In truth, she is exactly what a favorite niece should be, what, in the olden days, was called "fast". As to Miss Mimi, you already know all you need to know about her - no description necessary.


Miss Cathy on the left

Their first choice for a driver was Hoke, Miss Daisy's driver, but he could not make the trip. To their great surprise, MadChauffeur stepped in and volunteered to drive them. For a split second, Miss Mimi considered that having MadChauffeur drive them might be quite mad, but the moment passed, and, after a brief discussion with Miss Cathy, they concluded that having MadChauffeur drive them was an excellent idea. Since MadChauffeur knows Scotland like the back of his hand, they'll be getting a twofer, a driver and a tour guide. They know that MadChauffeur possesses all the proper skills, because he once drove for a living, hauling far heavier loads than Miss Cathy and Miss Mimi. For a spell, MadChauffeur will be back in the professional driver's seat once again.

Miss Mimi on the right below (I am not kidding!)


Places where they'll stay include the following:

Oban

Mull

Mallaig

Skye

They'll take day trips from those locations, including one visit that Miss Mimi insists upon, to Iona. Miss Cathy checked out staying at the Abbey, but the folks there like guests to stay for a week, and neither Miss M nor Miss C thought they had enough time to spend a week.

MadChauffeur must leave Miss C and Miss M on the last leg of their trip, at which time Miss C and Miss M will wave a sad and teary good-bye. Once their grief eases, they'll hire a car, and Miss C will assume the role of driver. Be assured that Miss M will not risk getting behind the wheel to drive on the wrong side of the road, just as surely as Miss C would not get in the car with her, if she did. Miss M insists that there will be no smoking of cheroots inside the car and no furtive nips from the flask while driving, because Miss M will be watching closely. As to the swearing - Miss M is not entirely innocent herself, so how can she demand abstinence of Miss C?

Miss Mimi thanks Miss Cathy for her hard work in making arrangements for lodgings, car hire, train tickets, etc., and Miss C and Miss M both thank MadChauffer for undertaking the chore of driving and for his expert travel advice on what to do and what to see in Scotland. However, after following his advice, if they're not pleased with what they find, they'll complain long and loud.

Miss Mimi credits Miss Cathy for her description of her own character, and she gives MadChauffeur full credit for his own pseudonym and half-credit for the "Driving Miss Daisy" angle, because he insists upon it, but she's not sure he quite deserves it. However, being the generous person that she is, Miss M allows the credit.

Miss Mimi will return home on August 26.



Photo of Mallaig from blackcountrystalker at YouTube.

UPDATE: How could she? Miss Mimi forgot to mention that the travelers will number four, rather than three. The group will include the canine companion of MadChauffeur. If Miss M told you the name of the dog, she would give away the identity of MadChauffeur, so she'll just say the dog is a border collie.

UPDATE 2: Miss Mimi regrets to inform you that their canine companion will not, after all, accompany the travelers to Scotland.

35 comments:

  1. Bon Voyage, Mimi!

    Be sure to tell us all Wot Trouble you 3 get up to! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great trip - sounds fab - and I can vouch for MC -he drove us all about Oban and Mull and environs. We stayed at the hotel on Iona - only toured the Abbey - but lots of great walkabout there (no cars except locals allowed). The photo on my blog is taken from the front yard of that hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JCF, thanks. I'll be around for a few more days. And what makes you think we'll get into trouble?

    Ann, you know. MC knows not just the places, but the history, too.

    The hotel looks wonderful. Cathy started looking for places to stay back in May, and some were already booked up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have the locals been warned?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have the locals been warned?

    We thought we'd surprise them, Paul :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No. The locals have no idea about what is soon to be inflicted upon them. And the travelers want to keep it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun you three, and Mimi, hang on to your wallet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here we go! Susan, I will try. I had enough of that kind of excitement last time around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will Miss Mimi be blogging in the gloaming?

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...blogging in the gloaming?

    Ormonde, I think not. The thought of lugging my laptop through security is far too daunting to contemplate. How about if I tell you all about our adventures when I return?

    Thank you. You gave me my best laugh of the day, thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  11. MadChauffeur possess all the proper skills, because he once drove for a living, hauling far heavier loads than Miss Cathy and Miss Mimi.

    I must remember to keep off the carrot cake between now and then so this stays true.

    PS - Mimi, I am bringing my laptop, so you probably can sneak in a blogging moment or two if you like ... ? Assuming we can get the wireless connection to work in remote Scotland?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wireless in the gloaming! What a thought! Well, we'll see. If I can squeeze in the time.... I make no promises.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Traveling mercies. And what an adventure! Have fun and give MC a hug for me. Hope you can find some wifi along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This should be a hoot of a trip. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Piskie, thanks. The adventure should be great fun, if all goes as planned, which, of course, never happens. But if things go wrong, the only thing to do is...

    ♫...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again.♫

    ...singing all the while.

    For some strange reason, I find it hard to believe that faraway trips will actually happen until I'm there. When I'm on the road in Scotland, I'll believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. And what makes you think we'll get into trouble?

    Um, because I'm conscious? ;-/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Take a picture of the Isle of Skye as my mother's family is from there. Pretty picture.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well! Thanks a lot, JCF,

    Caminante, I will. A pretty picture of Skye for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes- the hotels on Iona book earlier -we only got in because it was off season and between events at the abbey. There are only 2 hotels and one B&B

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's a great trip you've got planned. I'm sure you and Cathy and the Madchauffeur will have a great time. I loved my short stay and do intend to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, how delightful: Miss M., Miss Cathy, & MC do the best of Scotland! What a trio: all in period 20s attire, a la Miss Marple & friends at a country estate weekend. Be sure to provide MC with an appropriate cap for driving. Will the collies get to come on the trip too?

    Have a wonderful time. With all your combined wit and skills, I'm sure y'all will be entertaining us with stories and photos for a long time. Bon voyage. Wish we all were tagging along, but don't think the isles could support such a huge rowdy fan base.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thelma and Louise do Scotland. Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ann, I'm so grateful to Cathy for doing the hard work of booking hotels and B&B's. August is the height of the tourist season, so she had to do quite a bit of maneuvering.

    Amelia, I enjoyed your account of your travels. I loved Whitby last year, and it was good to see your pictures. I wish I'd had time to ride the steam train.

    Your account of your time in Scotland gave me a little preview of some of what we will see.

    ReplyDelete
  24. ginny, if I could photoshop, I'd have given you a picture of MadChauffer in his cap. I wanted to - badly.

    I am so looking forward to my time at the country estate. Since our estate is not far from Balmoral, we'll likely be having tea or even dinner with the Royals.

    I hear the Scots can be pretty rowdy themselves sometimes, so we may fit right in.

    Counterlight, Miss Cathy and Miss Mimi, being two against one, had to sign a document promising not to bully MadChauffeur, before he would make the final commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Two words:
    Single malt.
    Have a great time!

    Bruce/Canon Itchy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Counterlight - I did propose to Miss Mimi and MadChauffeur that in honour of Thelma and Louise Mimi and I could perhaps shoot bullets at MadChauffeur's car to see if it would blow up (since he is a former heavy lorry driver so that would seem appropriate). However Mimi's feeling was that we should probably leave anything like that till the day he planned to go home, since we need the car up till then.

    Bruce - my thought exactly - you're a man after me own heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. MadChauffeur's border collie will be playing Toto to Miss Mimi's Dorothy, while MadChauffeur will be twiddling the knobs, setting off the explosions and lurking behind the curtain talking in a big booming loud frightening voice in his role as the Wizard. I will be that nice blonde witch that behaves impeccably compared to everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Two words:
    Single malt.


    Bruce, I tried. Truly, I did. I did not care for single malt, but I will try again. Just for you. I doubt that Miss Cathy and MadChauffeur will let me get away with not trying.

    Cathy, although it's not mentioned in the contract, no shooting, please!

    And Cathy and I wish all to know that although some might consider their chauffeur of the servant class, we will bump MadChauffeur up and make him one of us, just as though he came from the same class.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Soyéz sages! et amuséz-vous bien ;=)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I hope your trip was fabulous (since I arrive here to late to wish good journey BEFORE you left!)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Mimi, I hope you are back safely? ...

    Ciss B - speaking for myself, it was completely fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ciss, I be home. The journey was fantastic, fabulous, and breathtakingly beautiful, with the plus that I have a lovely new real-life BFF in Cathy.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.