Sunday, July 11, 2010

PRIMATE MADE ME DO IT


Picture and headline "borrowed" from Andrew Sullivan at The Daily Dish.

The link to Christopher Ryan's article in Psychology Today is worth a read.

First off, chimps aren't "our closest primate cousin," though you'll need a sharp eye to find any mention of our other, equally intimately related cousin, the bonobo in most of these "news" stories. Like a crazy relative who lives in a shed out back, bonobos tend to get mentioned in passing-if at all-in these sweeping declarations about the ancient primate roots of war. There are plenty of reasons self-respecting journalists might want to avoid talking about bonobos (their penchant for mutual masturbation, their unapologetic homosexuality and incest, a general sense of hippie-like shamelessness pervading bonobo social life), but the biggest inconvenience is the utter absence of any Viking-like behavior ever observed among bonobos. Bonobos never rape or pillage. No war. No murder. No infanticide.

Our bonobo cousins could teach humans more than a few lessons. Not a new thought, I know.

Disclaimer: Neither Andrew nor I is responsible for stray thoughts that pop into your mind from viewing the picture and the headline out of context, which thoughts have nothing whatsoever to do with Andrew's post. :-)

14 comments:

  1. but the biggest inconvenience is the utter absence of any Viking-like behavior ever observed among bonobos. Bonobos never rape or pillage. No war. No murder. No infanticide.

    "Man is the only creature that blushes. Or needs to."--Mark Twain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, palm cockatoos blush. They have a featherless patch on their cheeks that goes bright red when they are agitated or excited.

    The males also attract nearby females by holding a stick with one foot and drumming it rhythmically against hollow tree trunks, which I think is pretty cool.

    They're beautiful, fabulous birds, I go nuts for them whenever I see one in a bird zoo, or wherever.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Cockatoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. But do the cockatoos blush with shame, Cathy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I'm going blind! Never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, I'm so sorry you're going blind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anent your "stray thoughts", I posted a similar idea about the monoepiscopate over at Tobias's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I get to trot out my story about entertaining a visiting South African bishop's 10 year old daughter and taking her to the Museum of Natural History. Wandering around, we passed the Hall of Primates. She asked, "What's a primate?" I answered, "Primates are animals closely related to humans, like apes, chimps, monkeys... and archbishops." She laughed out loud. No 10 year old should get that joke.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny how I've only just discovered what a bonobos is and now here is a story about them on your blog. I hope you don't mind me using it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paul (A.), with a little help from Babel Fish translator, I see what you mean - maybe. Something like monomono? Of course, I could be wrong!

    Wilfried, a wonderful story. And you're right. No 10 year old should get the joke

    Each time I read a story about primates processing in full ecclesiastical regalia, my imagination runs wild.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Petty, I don't mind if you use the story, but it's not mine. Christopher Ryan and Andrew Sullivan get the credit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are way too many archbishops association with which I would not want to insult the noble bonobo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. JCF, I had a similar thought as I was writing the post.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.