Wednesday, September 22, 2010

KITCHEN TIPS - MARTHA AND MAXINE



Martha says: Stuff a miniature marshmallow in the bottom of an ice cream cone to prevent ice cream drips.

Maxine says: Just suck the ice cream out of the bottom of the cone, for god's sake! You are probably lying on the couch with your feet up eating it anyway!



Martha says: To keep potatoes from budding, place an apple in the bag with the potatoes.

Maxine says: Buy Hungry Jack mashed potato mix.
Keeps in the pantry for a decade.



Martha says: Brush some beaten egg white over pie crust before baking to yield a beautiful glossy finish.

Maxine says: That kind of unnecessary crap isn't in the Mrs. Smith frozen pie directions.



Martha says: Cure for headaches: take a lime, cut it in half and rub it on your forehead. The throbbing will go away.

Maxine says: IF the lime is from your third margarita!



Martha says: Don't throw out all that leftover wine. Freeze into ice cubes for future use in casseroles and sauces.

Maxine says: Leftover Wine, Martha?????? HELLO!!!!!!!

Thanks to Doug.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great laugh this morning. Maxine is so hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, except for the marshmallow in the bottom of an ice cream cone, I've actually done those things. Even as we speak there's an apple sitting among my potatoes. And, if that's not bad enough, next week I'm making my own lavender and oatmeal soap. Somebody stop me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, Martha snatched your body! Say it ain't so!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know the marshmallow trick but if you have pre-schoolers - they bite the end off the cone first thing and the marshmallow would only encourage them to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Maxine! Left over wine, left over wine, hmmmm....

    FWIW
    jimB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann, with the preschoolers, there are no solutions to keep them from getting messy with ice cream cones, except, "Don't give them ice cream cones", which is surely far too draconian.

    JimB, are you now James? Oh dear! We have another James.

    ReplyDelete
  7. God bless her. In a pinch, I'd pick Maxine over Martha any day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Maxine's advice! I rarely have left over wine. Only the stuff I don't like and wouldn't bother to save that for cooking anyway. Rock on Maxine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no! I'm more of a Martha than a Maxine! I'm a nerd!!! I need help. Mimi - please???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who leaves good wine for leftover freezing?!

    Erika, you and Lindy need help quickly! You need to organize an online recovery group now, before it's too late. And you really shouldn't look to me for help, because, as I said, I'm a Maxine person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I turned a box o' red wine, into red wine vinegar, when I couldn't drink it all in time.

    As soon as I saw the word "lime", I KNEW the word "margarita" would follow! ;-D

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.