Friday, November 26, 2010

THE WORD FROM CARTOONIST ROZ CHAST


"Anxiety has just always been a part of my life," Chast says. "I cannot even imagine what a life without it would be. You make that decision to get out of bed in the morning, and you know that before you get back into bed at night, you're just going to have all kinds of things you're going to have to deal with. You just hope that it's not so crippling that you don't get out of bed."

For years now, I've enjoyed Chast's cartoons in The New Yorker. I'd love to post a cartoon, but all are under copyright. One of my favorites is the "Poet in Hiding" weatherman.

Quote from SFGate.

Picture from Wikipedia.

4 comments:

  1. I'm a big Roz Chast fan, too. She's a certain kind of funny. My husband doesn't have the same appreciation for her, but then again he doesn't much like New York, either, and I think there's a certain New York sensibility that Ms Chast embodies....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny, I love New York, and Tom loves New York, too, but he does not "get" Roz Chast's humor at all. We're together on NYC, but we don't appreciate the same humor. I show him jokes and cartoons, and he wants me to explain them, but when you begin explaining jokes and cartoons, the humor disappears. In the end, Tom never bursts out laughing after my explanation. And he never says, "Oh, I get it now. That is hilarious!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. My all time favorite Roz Chast cartoon and book of the same title is "Parallel Universes."

    We have a local NPR talk show here in New York hosted by a man who sounds too much like a grad school professor for my taste. Ms. Chast was his guest, and she proceeded to cheerfully cut him down to size after his rather ponderous introduction. She's never been invited back, but I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Counterlight, I'd dearly love to have heard that broadcast.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.