Tuesday, March 22, 2011

ARCHBISHOP TIMOTHY DOLAN - GENIAL ENFORCER OF ROME'S CONSERVATIVE WRIT


From NewsBusters:
On Sunday's 60 Minutes, CBS correspondent Morley Safer interviewed New York Catholic Archbishop Timothy Dolan and pressed him on the his commitment to traditional Church teachings: "No question that you're conciliatory, that you like to have dialog, but underneath that you're an old-fashioned conservative. I mean, in the sense of right-wing conservative."

Dolan turned Safer's characterization around: "I would bristle at being termed 'right-wing.' But if somebody means enthusiastically committed and grateful for the timeless heritage of the Church, and feeling that my best service is when I try to preserve that and pass that on in its fullness and beauty and radiance, I'm a conservative, no doubt."

Our neighbor called to tell Grandpère to watch as Morley Safer interviewed Archbishop Dolan. GP called me into the room, and I wish I hadn't gone, because I felt a little ill during Abp. Dolan's performance during the interview. In my opinion, Safer went easy on the archbishop, however Safer did say:
Despite the jolly open demeanor, he's about as conservative as they come....He is unwavering on what he calls the 'settled' questions: abortion, birth control, ordination of women, gay marriage, and celibacy."

And that is that! All settled and done.

The "jolly open demeanor" was very much in evidence. Abp. Dolan smiled and laughed often, nudging and patting Safer on the shoulder. I told GP that he seemed very much like a salesman to me, which I suppose is what an archbishop is called to be in these troublesome times for the Roman Catholic Church, especially an archbishop who was recently elected president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. The thing is, I'm not buying what he's selling.
SAFER: What do you make of the Church's response to the abuse scandals?

DOLAN: When you think of what happened, both that a man who proposes to act in the name of God would've abused an innocent young person, and that some bishops would have in a way, countenanced that by reassigning abusers, that's nothing less than hideous. That's nothing less than nauseating. The second story, Morley, is the Church's reaction to that, which I think has been good. It's been strong. It's been rigorous.
(My emphasis)

I found the caveat, "in a way" quite troublesome. You either countenance child abuse, or you do not. There is no "in a way" that diminishes countenancing child abuse. The entire interview disturbed me a good deal. The phrase that ran through my mind as I watched and listened was, "De Nile is not just a river in Egypt." - not very original, I know, but there it is.

Abp. Dolan again:
Yeah, there would be – yes, I think there would be changes in the Church. But I don't think they're the ones you have in mind. I don't want to see changes in the Church when it comes to celibacy or women priests or our clear teaching about the sanctity of human life and the unity of marriage between one man and one woman forever. I'd love to see changes in the Church in the very area that you're hinting at over and over again, in the perception of the Church as some shrill scold. We need to change that. (My emphasis)

Well, for crying out loud, archbishop, the church needs to stop scolding! If the hierarchy would stop threatening with excommunication the Roman Catholics who disagree that the issues you mention are "settled" once for all, then the church might not be perceived as a "shrill scold".

After I wrote the words above, I saved them and left them, partly because I was quite busy with other matters. Then, too, when I departed from the Roman Catholic Church, I promised myself that I would not be a bitter ex-Catholic, obsessed with ranting against the church I left. I confess that I have not always been successful in my determination. My reaction to Abp. Dolan was visceral, and I know that we must examine our visceral reactions closely before we settle into their meaning for us. However, I also believe that to ignore our instincts is perhaps not the wisest path to follow.

For those reasons and because, as I've said, I was quite busy yesterday, I never completed the post. Then, through a link from MadPriest, I was led to Jan's post at A Church For Starving Artists on the interview. Jan's wise words, which I quote below, impressed me greatly.
One of the biggest spiritual issues of our day is the need to be with people in the throes of Real Life. It's tempting to be "the entertaining pastor" or the "funny pastor" or merely "the smart pastor." But the 21st C Church is sorely in need of the equipping pastor who models servanthood and compassion, the pastor who is unafraid to grapple with the deepest issues of our lives, the pastor who sees people with the eyes of Jesus.

Jan's entire post is well worth a read. I thank her for the push to complete the post - for better or for worse. If for worse, the responsibility is all mine and not Jan's.

More on the interview at CBS News.

Photo above from the New York Times article from February of this year on Abp. Dolan's election as president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. The article states:
Archbishop Dolan also does not outright deny the sacrament to dissenting Catholic lawmakers, but he is genial enforcer of Rome's ever more conservative writ.

UPDATE: Ann V. alerts me to the article in the Washington Post on a poll by the Post and ABC News:
The question was straightforward: “Do you think it should be illegal or legal for gay and lesbian couples to get married?” In February 2010, an astounding 55 percent of white Catholics said "legal." In the current poll, the number jumped 8 points to 63 percent.

My question is what about non-white Catholics?

Not that the poll will change any minds amongst the hierarchy.

17 comments:

  1. He's all about the "perception" changing. "Get me better Agit-Prop!" the Great Dictator demanded.

    I felt like Safer built towards something, but just couldn't bring himself to "sum it up" at the end. Something like "You can wrap poison in sugar, but if you swallow it, it's still poison."

    [But in bashing Dolan some more, I'm violating my "merciful" promise to Fran, so I'll shut up now. ;-X]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure whether my post is a rant by a bitter ex-Catholic, or not. Perhaps I'd best leave the judgment to God and to others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DOLAN: When you think of what happened, both that a man who proposes to act in the name of God would've abused an innocent young person, and that some bishops would have in a way, countenanced that by reassigning abusers, that's nothing less than hideous. That's nothing less than nauseating¨

    To Dolan, Best to send a memo to the Pope on this...no doubt the Pope will send out a pastoral letter detailing HIS very own ¨hideous¨ and irresponsible behavior when dealing with ¨clergy sexual abuse¨ at Church...no doubt all will be forgiven if he, the man, a mere flawed man, comes forward and announces his sin(s)-- forgiveness will come more readily if Benedict stops avoiding his very own deceptive ACTS and LACK of accountability in front of his fellow humanbeings! Truth will set in when the Pope stops playing a ongoing game of denial and pretend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW: The Pope can stuff the ongoing blame and shame too--no wonder the Archbishop of Canterbury can´t make heads or tails of right vs. wrong when he ¨admires¨ such a man...when does this gaggle of religiouslike ¨intellectuals¨ incomporate the use of the common sense God gave ém?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Leonardo, common sense? Now that is an extreme suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mimi, I love your new photo! Filled with life and lustre--it´s good to be alive...verdad?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Genial and jolly indeed. What's the old line about "a man may smile and smile..."?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww thanks, Leo. The picture was taken by Cathy on a ferry to somewhere in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Tobias! That's only true in Denmark. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a nice piccie :)

    I won't comment on the Archbishop, since I didn't see the interview, but your observations are in no way the rantings of a bitter ex-Catholic, Mimi - what you have said is exactly the sort of thing that needs to be said.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a nice piccie :)

    Proof positive of how jolly the archbishop is, Cathy.

    Thanks for the kind words. I learned much that was good in my years in the RCC. I've said that time and again, and it makes me sad that the leadership is still in denial.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No the piccie of you Mimi!!!!! LOL! The archbishop looks like a creep!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhhh! I see. I thought you were being sarcastic about the archbishop's pic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just a fast comment re: dissing the
    RCC. I went in with stars in my eyes, realizing a dream of becoming a Religious educator as Vatii unfolded. But I had my Episcopal-formed ideals of what was wrong and what was right especially regarding justice and altruism. I found much to love, especially in the area of community and education on the parish level. I gradually more and more appalled by the decisions of the diocese and what seemed total denial of the welfare of the community (sending mentally ill clergy, punishing good guys who were "liberal independent thinkers, etc) and total disregard of the welfare of lay workers, esp. women.
    It is not negative ranting to hold such sometimes criminal behavior up to the light of day, it is merely stating reality.

    It won't get better until reality sinks in (if ever)that NO ONE is above the laws of ordinary decency and fairness, especially an organization that regularly uses the words "justice, community, love,Jesus". Speak out and on, Mimi!
    Nij
    Peace, Nij

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nij, thanks. I needed that, especially from another who has been there. What hopes we had after Vatican II! Alas, only to have them dashed to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  16. To limit God to one denomination (aka the "one TRUE church" is the ultimate arrogance. There are still many good things in the RCC but they sure aren't coming from the hierarchy in Rome or locally.

    God reveals him/herself in an infinite number of circumstances and will survive in spite of, not because of, the power structure.

    Like you, Mimi, I thank God that I "crossed the Thames."

    ReplyDelete
  17. whiteycat, if I had not departed from Rome in 1995-1996, I would have left by now several times over.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.