Wednesday, April 20, 2011

FRONTLINE'S "THE SILENCE"

Did you watch PBS Frontline's "The Silence" on child abuse last night? I did, and it was one of the most difficult shows to for me to sit through ever. The show focuses on years of abuse committed by a Roman Catholic priest, Fr George Endal, and a "volunteer", Joseph Lundowski, on Native American children in the small village of St Michael in Alaska. I wanted to turn away from the horrifying stories of the abuse by the adults who suffered at the hands of the two men when they were children. To say I was shaken is an understatement.
"I was just a kid," Ben Andrews tells FRONTLINE of the years of abuse he suffered at the hands of Father George Endal and Joseph Lundowski, a layman who was training to be a deacon. "Father Endal and Joseph Lundowski, they couldn't stop molesting me once they started. It was almost an everyday thing. Father Endal kept telling me that it would make me closer to God."

"I'm still having nightmares of Joseph Lundowski molesting, having sex with me," says Peter "Packy" Kobuk. "I get up sweating, angry, feel like I could hurt somebody, but I never meaned [sic] to get angry at my children, but the anger went on my children also."

Since some of the victims of abuse have not come forward, no one knows the number of children who were molested over the years, but the estimate is as high as 80% of the children in the small village.

After the litigation settlement, when he was free to talk to the survivors, the present bishop of the Diocese of Fairbanks, Donald Kettler, finally met with the group of people in St Michael who had come forward. When he heard the stories and saw their suffering, he seemed to grasp the grave harm done to the people. In some cases, the abuse continued into the next generation, as those who were abused, abused their own children.

Ben Andrews told of the occasion when he told his father of the molestation. His father beat him, went out and got drunk, came home and grabbed a gun which he pointed at his wife, and shot and killed another son who was standing near his mother. Ben sees himself as responsible for his brother's death because he told his father about the abuse.

What a wrenching 30 minutes! If you have the stomach for it, you can watch the segment from the link above.

Endal and Lundowski were not the only representatives of the RC Church who were molesters. It seems that the Diocese of Fairbanks may have been one of the chosen locations to send priests who had been in been in trouble elsewhere for abuse of children and young people.

Lord, have mercy! I know that other denominations, including my own, have their share of clergy who abused children, but the appalling policy of the RCC of covering up to protect the institution, rather than moving to protect the children, allowed widespread abuse to take place over so many years.

16 comments:

  1. I watched it.

    Horrifying. You understand why some experts call child sexual-abuse "soul murder." How else could you describe these tortured children, now in adult bodies?

    [Begs the question of whether the molesters were molested, too. The cycle of abuse is nothing less than a Moloch, demanding new child sacrifices. With Rome as the Cult of Moloch...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. JCF, "soul-murder" is indeed a realistic description of child sexual-abuse.

    When the child abuse scandal broke in my Roman Catholic diocese, I remember that as the cases kept coming to light and I heard of a diocese in western Louisiana with the same kinds of problems, the light dawned, and I realized that it was not just one or two priests who operated under the radar of the authorities in the two dioceses, but that the authorities knew, and cover-up was the POLICY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was that way in the Episcopal Church until women started being ordained and said - this is not right and a few bishops listened and a few brave people took the church to court.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's shameful that the churches had to be coerced into protecting the children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is human nature I think to protect the institution rather than the people. Sad indictment of organized religion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately the cover up continues. If you are familiar with Philadelphia, you know what I mean. All very, very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. IT, I guess, though we expect better of the church.

    whiteycat, I'm aware of Philidelphia. I wrote about it at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My wife and I ,both RCs, were shocked at the program. But when you take a group of men (clergy)and tell them they never can have any sexual experiences, indeed, any sex thoughts, you are asking for trouble.

    I must also say that of the many RC clergy we know almost none have any feeling for children. Aftetr all these men give up in advance having physical relationship with a women, and give up the possibility of ever having the deepest relationship (parents)with a child or children.

    Certainly the RC clergy we know are pleasant and, yes, mostly nice.At social gatherings, I can talk sports with them. But no family, wife, or children.They, obviously, just don't get it.

    There are many fine things about our RC religion. But its doctrines on sex, celibacy, all male clergy, the superiority of male over female, are a real impediment to understanding people as they really are.

    I'm in the upper seventies now. My wife is 65. Great relationship. But, and blast me if you want,so much of our lives is 'living through our grandkids.' Alan

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are many fine things about our RC religion.

    Alan, I was a Roman Catholic for 60 years. I attended RC schools for 16 years, and I agree with your words. I learned and experienced much that was good in my time in the church.

    But its doctrines on sex, celibacy, all male clergy, the superiority of male over female, are a real impediment to understanding people as they really are.

    Exactly. What planet are they on? Although I don't always succeed, I try hard not to be a bitter ex-Roman Catholic.

    I have no desire to blast you and your wife. On the contrary, I very much appreciate your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alan, I agree with much of what you say too, but I have to add that I don't have a spouse or children and yet I hope you and your wife might consider it possible to converse with me on topics a little more in-depth than sport.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mimi, the documentary you refer to hasn't been shown in the UK so I can't comment on it, but the honesty of the approach, as you describe it, is totally necessary, it seems to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can vouch for Cathy. :-) I talked to her about family quite a lot when we traveled in Scotland last year. Family members are people.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mimi, I did read your post on Philadelphia. My comment was intended for your readers, some of whom may not be totally aware of the Philly situation.

    I agree, musch to love in the RC church. Views on celibacy, sexuality, women priests, etc. ... definitely not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cathy, the segment on the abuse is only 30 minutes, and, as of now, it's still available on video at the link in the post.

    whiteycat, all right then. Thanks for taking note of the news which just recently came to light in Philidelphia. Here's the link to my post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Mimi. More often than not when people in the US post vids to their blogs I get a message on the link saying I'm not allowed to see it over here, but not in this case. I will watch it but not tonight - it's a little late.

    Thank you for vouching for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cathy, I was not refering to single people in any way.My favorite cousin and many of our friends are single. The single people I know have not taken a pledge never to have a sex thought nor never under any conditions to have children. Alan

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.