Friday, April 15, 2011

R. I. P. LINDA LAHME - WE LOVE YOU


Linda, our missionary who worked in Zambia, passed away yesterday afternoon in her beloved Zambia. We received the news last night at a meeting at church.

When Linda left to return to Zambia she said:
“I’m going back because I can’t get any medical care here,” she said Friday.
....

But last week, she said she had run out of options. Medicaid had found out about a bank account she set up in Africa to pay for Kunda’s [Linda's adopted daughter] education and said the asset made her ineligible for the program, Lahme said. Lahme refused to tap into the account, opting to return to Zambia and limited medical care rather than compromise Kunda’s future.

“To qualify for Medicaid, I would have to spend all the money I set aside for my daughter’s education,” Lahme said.

There's our health care system for you.
Into your hands, O merciful Savior, we commend your servant Linda. Acknowledge, we humbly beseech you, a sheep of your own fold, a lamb of your own flock, a sinner of your own redeeming. Receive her into the arms of your mercy, into the blessed rest of everlasting peace, and into the glorious company of the saints in light. Amen.

May her soul and the souls of all the departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

My earlier posts on Linda are here and here.

11 comments:

  1. When I was practicing law, I had to help a very kind woman divorce her husband so he could qualify for Medicaid. He was practically an invalid, and she worked cleaning houses and such menial jobs, so she wasn't exactly "wealthy."

    I did the whole thing for free, but it broke my heart. She was a very religious person, and had to work herself up to accepting it wouldn't be a sin to keep living with her husband without being married to him.

    And that was 20+ years ago. The minor cruelties of our "safety net" go so often unnoticed and unmentioned.

    May her soul and the souls of all the departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rmj, it's heartbreaking. Costs count, but people don't, as you pointed out in the wise words in your post titled The Waters of Oblivion that included a reflection on Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal.

    I'm off now to reread Swift's satire that bites to the bone. (No pun intended, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rest in peace, rise in glory, Linda.

    This side of heaven, I'm glad she had Zambia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandmere --I am so sorry for your loss.

    This story strikes home for me on so many levels.... What an example of blessed living/dying she has set for us all.

    I, too, am glad she had Zambia and a big heart for her daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JCF and Margaret, thank you.

    Linda had the victory in the end. She's a saint but not of the saccharine, meek, pious variety. Linda was strong-willed, and she did not suffer fools gladly. She's one of the bravest women I know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry about the death of your friend. She lived and died on her own terms, that's for sure, and that cannot be said about many people. Still, it is a crying shame that our medical dellvery system is so sucky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. May she rest in peace - she sounded like a remarkable woman. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda was remarkable. She loved Africa and its people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rest in peace and rise in glory, Linda, and may your spirit remain with those who mourn your death.

    WV: avion... airplane in French... kind of odd, like being heaven-ward?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mimi, I didn't see this till today - I'm so sorry, and really sorry to hear that Linda has died. She did indeed sound like a remarkable woman.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We knew Linda's passing was coming and that it would be soon, but it's still hard when it happens. I'm so thankful she made it back to her beloved Zambia.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.