Friday, June 24, 2011

BONNE FÈTE DE LA NAISSANCE DE ST-JEAN BAPTISTE

Caravaggio - Oil on canvas - c.1604 - Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City

From Canada, David@Montreal says:
Bonne Fête St-Jean chère Mimi
la Fête Nationale de Quebec
c'est une journé de plui ici a Montréal, mais les nationalistes feront leur defili quand-meme

je t'embrace

David
Dear David, thank you. Have a lovely day.

I've seen the magnificent painting pictured above twice at the Nelson Atkins. As soon as I walked into the gallery the first time, the painting caught my eye and left me breathless. I knew it was a Caravaggio. It is amazing to see the work of art up close.
Almighty God, by whose providence your servant John the Baptist was wonderfully born, and sent to prepare the way of your Son our Savior by preaching repentance: Make us so to follow his teaching and holy life, that we may truly repent according to his preaching; and, following his example, constantly speak the truth, boldly rebuke vice, and patiently suffer for the truth's sake; through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.
Image from Wikipedia.

4 comments:

  1. My pleasure each year is to spend a day or two in London's National gallery. I share your joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr CatOLick, I will very likely spend time at the National Gallery in London in July and zero in on the Caravaggios. I will also visit the National Portrait Gallery, which is one of my favorite London museums, as it's manageable. For the same reason, I like the smaller Courtauldt Institute and Wallace Collection. The National Gallery is great, but a tad overwhelming if you don't have targets.

    I will also visit the Tate Modern for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mimi, I grew up seeing this painting on our annual pilgrimages to the Nelson and had the same reaction as you. In a room full of magnificent paintings in a building full of life-changing art experiences, this one stands out as a personal favorite. The big-as-a-house Buddha upstairs is another fave, but I could go on for hours....

    ReplyDelete
  4. annski, I know what you mean. The Nelson is a fine museum. I love their collection of Henry Moore sculptures, too.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.