Monday, June 6, 2011

DIARMUID MARTIN - A PROPHET SCORNED

From Maureen Dowd at the New York Times:
THE archbishop of Dublin was beginning to sniffle.

He could not get through a story about “a really nasty man” — an Irish priest who sexually abused, physically tortured and emotionally threatened vulnerable boys — without pulling out his handkerchief and wiping his nose.

“He built a swimming pool in his own garden, to which only boys of a certain age, of a certain appearance were allowed into it,” Archbishop Diarmuid Martin told me recently. “There were eight other priests in that parish, and not one of them seemed to think there was something strange about it.”

Two years after learning the extent of the depraved and Dickensian treatment of children in the care of the Irish Catholic Church — a fifth circle of hell hidden for decades by church and police officials — the Irish are still angry and appalled.

The only church leader who escapes their disgust is the no-nonsense, multilingual Martin. He was sent home to Dublin in 2003 after 27 years in the Vatican bureaucracy and diplomatic corps and found the Irish church in crisis, reeling from a cover-up that spanned the tenures of four past Dublin archbishops.
....

In February, Martin held an unprecedented “Liturgy of Lament and Repentance” at a Dublin cathedral, where he asked forgiveness from God and victims of abuse and praised the courage of those who had come forward.

Wearing a simple black cassock, he helped wash the feet of eight victims and conceded that the church “will always bear this wound within it.”
....

In return for doing the right thing, he has been ostracized by fellow bishops in Ireland and snubbed by the Holy See.
....

Yet Martin, famous protector of victims, is an outlier of the club, while Cardinal Bernard Law, notorious protector of pedophiles, has a cushy Vatican sanctuary. And Cardinal Angelo Sodano, who was in league with the notorious abuser of seminarians and inseminator of women, Father Marcial Maciel Degollado, is the dean of the College of Cardinals in Rome.

Garry O’Sullivan, the managing editor of The Irish Catholic in Dublin, told me that Martin “has had a prophetic role in the church.”

I really don't get it. Cardinals Law and Sodano are rewarded for their roles in covering up child abuse. Because of the decades long cover-up, I left the Roman Catholic Church in 1996. I knew that a portion of the tithe I gave to my parish church went to the diocese, a portion of which went to fund the cover-up of child abuse, and I could no longer write a check. I'm not saying all Roman Catholics should do what I did. I respect those who remain to fight the good fight.
When he [Archbishop Martin] was growing up, his mother always told him “go serve your Mass but don’t hang around with the priest.”
....

In his brusque way, he rejects the appellation of hero.

“Nobody could have read what I have read and not did what I did,” he said as he walked me out into the windy spring day. “If I didn’t react to the stories I heard, there would be something wrong.”
(My emphasis)

Yes indeed, there would be something wrong. There is still something very wrong when a prophet and a hero is "ostracized by fellow bishops in Ireland and snubbed by the Holy See", and others in high places who participated in the cover-up are rewarded.

Thank God for Archbishop Martin!

Thanks to Ann for the link.

7 comments:

  1. You're right, and my Irish heritage rises up agains those who are harboring those who hurt children. Blessings to the Archbishop of Dublin!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martin has handled this wonderfully, but the "Holy" See still persists in believing that it can keep the lid on things - and in holding to the cause for which Becket died eight centuries ago, the immunity of the clergy to civil law.

    What's the statute of limitations in Massachusetts, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ciss B, knowing that he does the right thing must Archbishop Martin's reward, because he surely gets nothing from his church.

    Lapin, I don't know, but the thought of Cardinal Law ensconced in a basilica in Rome is repellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I'm not saying all Roman Catholics should do what I did. I respect those who remain to fight the good fight."

    The problem is most RCs don't fight the good fight. They just roll over and say "well, what can you do? That's the way it is!" If more would fight the good fight something good may actually happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. whiteycat, some Roman Catholics fight the good fight, and some don't. Some stay, and some leave. I believe people should make their own decisions. Only if a RC seems to be seeking a different path do I suggest the Episcopal Church. Perhaps I'm too timid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems to me that the Vatican, like the mafia, values loyalty above all else.

    Cardinal Law sitting it out at Santa Maria Maggiore is a glaring scandal as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Counterlight, or perhaps a festering sore?

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.