Tuesday, October 4, 2011

OCCUPY WALL STREET - AN INTERVIEW NEVER AIRED


From Daily Kos:
Fellow Kossack Jesse LaGreca (a/k/a MinistryofTruth) Destroys Fox News Reporter

TRANSCRIPT
(ht middleagedhousewife)

Fox: Jesse, so Ray, your partner here, colleague, your commerade, she got, ya know, receieved a protest [unintelligible] here and elsewhere did you guys take your cue from that? Are you hungry to incite ya know certainly what is a lot of attention if not police activity? I know over the weekend, there was over 100 arrests you guys got things fired up. Are you taking your cues from international events in …
How do you want to see this end? What do you what do you if you could have it end in a perfect way, how would that be?

Jesse: Well, I don’t know, it’s really difficult to kind of answer questions leading to those conclusions. I’d say we didn’t take our cues from anybody really, it became more of a spontaneous movement. As far as seeing this end, I wouldn’t like to see this end. I’d like to see the conversation continue. This is what we should have been talking about in 2008 after the economy collapsed. We basically patched a hole on the tire and said, yeah, let the car keep rolling. Unfortunately, it’s fun to talk to the propaganda machine in the media, especially conservative media such as yourself, because we find that we can’t get conversations on the Department of Justice’s ongoing investigation of NewsCorporation for which you are an employee, but we can certainly, you know, ask questions such as why are the poor engaging in class warfare. After 30 years of having our living standards decrease while the wealthiest 1% have had it better than ever, I think it’s time for, I don’t know, some participation in our Democracy that isn’t funded by news cameras and gentlemen such as yourself.

Fox:OK, but let me give you this challenge, Jesse,

Jesse: Sure

Fox: We’re here giving you an opportunity on the record with (unintelligible) to put any message you want out there, and give you fair coverage and I’m not going to in any way

Jesse: That’s awesome

Fox: give advice about it. So here’s an exception to the case, because you wouldn’t be able to get your message out without us. [I just have to say, I could not type this without laughing!]

Jesse: No, certainly! I mean, take for instance, when Glenn Beck was doing his protests, and he called the President a person who hates white people and white culture. That was a low moment in America’s history, and you guys kinda had a big part in it. So I’m glad to see you coming around and paying attention to what the other 99% of America is paying attention to, as opposed to just the far right fringe who would love to just destroy the middle class entirely.

Fox: Alright. Fair enough. You have a voice, and an important reason to criticize myself and my company and anyone else. But let me ask you this. In fairness, does this administration, Pres. Obama, have any criticism as to the the financial situation in the country and the … [he sticks the mike in Jesse’s face]

Jesse: I think that myself as well as many other people would like to see a little bit more economic justice or social justice, Jesus stuff as far as feeding the poor, health care for the sick. You know, I find it really entertaining that people like to hold the Bill of Rights up while they’re screaming at gay soldiers, but they just can’t wrap their heads around the idea that a for profit health care system doesn’t work. So, let’s just look at it like this: if we want the president to do more, let’s talk to him on a level that actually reaches people, instead of asking for his birth certificate and wasting time with total nonsense like Solyndra (sp).

Cross-posted at Plutocracy Files.

12:37 PM PT: I've been informed by the New York Observer that the reporter who uploaded the video was Drew Grant. She worked super hard to get that information out there. So PLEASE make sure to link to her story:

http://www.observer.com/...

I hope the video goes viral, and I'm doing my small part to make it happen. Thanks to ann v for the link.

5 comments:

  1. The media narrative on these protests is that they don't have a single theme to present, and so it's too incoherent to be effective.

    Which makes me keep wondering: what was the unifying theme of the Hoovervilles? What was the single message everyone had to agree to before they could pitch another tent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks -- put it in the current Episcopal Café story - and Rmj -- some thoughts there about incoherence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mimi. I shared it on Facebook. Hope to see it everywhere. I'm a fan of Jesse's. Pity the lamestream media (and this is one term where I agree with la Palin) did not pick this up and share an articulate voice with the nation. (Oh look, a squirrel!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rmj, I tend to identify with others - to a fault. My heart was with the demonstrators because I believe the big banks and the finance marketeers do real damage. They manipulate the economies of entire countries and virtually the entire world so they get theirs now and to hell with the consequences for anyone else. But to be honest, when I thought about whether I'd be out there with the demonstrators, I knew I'd have to be clearer about goals. There it is.

    Of course, that the big media cover the demonstrations so poorly is one reason I don't know more about what's happening there. I've watched the videos, and I believe that in some cases, the NYPD overreacted far more aggressively than was necessary.

    Still, I wondered what would get me there, if I were nearer to a demonstration. I see that Occupy Wall street has now released an official statement which I will post sometime today.

    I am pleased. That's what I need. That's how my mind works. I realize that the demonstration arose before the group had time to articulate their demands. People were sick and tired of being abused and ignored by their elected officials, and they decided to demonstrate, and they did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mimi--

    You and Ann have both given me much to think about, and a reason to waste time on a blog post when I should be working.

    My thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.