Tuesday, November 1, 2011

HOW TO UNCLOG AN OVERFLOWING TOILET

DO NOT ASK YOUR DOG TO DO IT!

Image and advice from WikiHow.

Since the problem involved two toilets and two bathtubs, it was too big for me to handle, so the plumbers are here now trying to unclog the plumbing. Bless them for coming quickly. Unfortunately, one of the toilets had been used before it overflowed. I turned off the water supply quickly, so not too much spilled over onto the floor. Still...eeeww.

Grandpère is gone for most of the day with his cell phone turned off, but it's probably best that he's not here, since he's excitable about this sort of thing. Best to let the plumbers do their thing without him hovering over them in a state of nerves.

What a start to the holy day. Things can only get better, right? Please say, 'Yes!'

UPDATE: The problem is fixed. There was a blockage in the pipe that runs through our yard to the city line. The roots of two crepe myrtles planted over the pipe may have contributed the blockage. We have a decision to make.

We have wonderful plumbers. For minor plumbing malfunctions, they may take a while to come, because they're much in demand, but when there's a serious problem, they come quickly. It doesn't hurt that the same plumbers installed the plumbing in the house 28 years ago.

15 comments:

  1. YES!

    And, eewwwww.... and I can't think of a single smarty thing to say --so I must really sympathize!

    ReplyDelete
  2. margaret, I'm mopping and mopping to try to get rid of the germs, but I still see germs in my mind's eye. I expect I will see germs for some time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course... one could replace the whole damn floor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the plumbers could flush away the problem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've thought about it, margaret, but that would be EXTREME. One more mopping with chlorine in the water, and that's it, germs or no germs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know what they say, Mimi: if one were to suddenly vaporize, there would be left behind an exact 3D copy of your form in bacteria (etc) living on&inside.

    We have met the germs, and they are us! (Which is to say, you can stop bleaching now. "Let Go and Let God")

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and LOVE the image! Naughty, naughty dog... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. whiteycat, me too.

    JCF, you mean I'm not sterile? No, not that way. I am sterile that way, but you can't mean that I have germs! I shower every day.

    If it's a comfort to you, I gave up the idea of another chlorine mopping. Feck 'em. Let the germs run free.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is why things like PineSol were invented. The strong odor actually convinces you that all the germs are dead. They'd have to be. Who or what could survive the smell of PineSol?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elizabeth, you have a point about PineSol. The floor would probably have smelled cleaner. I had none in the house, and the smell of chlorine is pretty strong. Still it doesn't have quite the soothing effect as PineSol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate calling in plumbers but with four pipes blocked you have to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anyway, I hope your day did get better, Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Cathy. The rest of the day was uneventful, which was an improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh WOW! This is my wife's worst nightmare! Germs, germs, germs. My wife only sees germs in this situation. She would be mopping and mopping and mopping. I've seen her do it! My wife hates to call a plumber. She even hates having their truck in our driveway. You have my sympathy Mimi.

    For what its worth germs don't worry me at all. Many of them are good and quite useful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boaz, I know there are good germs and bad germs, but I see only the bad germs. I went to bed with backache, but I slept like a rock last night after all the exercise from mopping and mopping.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.