Saturday, December 17, 2011

HAPPY 100TH BIRTHDAY, 'DOUCE'!

From WWLTV:


Yesterday, Grandpère and I attended a luncheon in honor of Emiline Bourgeois, who is featured in the video. Major Emiline Bourgeois, USA (Ret.) will be 100 years old on Christmas Eve. Emiline (or 'Douce', as her family and friends call her) is a friend and distant relative of mine. Douce's mother, 'Bijou', and my grandmother, Aimée, were cousins and good friends. They'd visit back and forth between Thibodaux and New Orleans, sometimes for a month or so, because travel wasn't easy back in the day.

We enjoyed a lovely luncheon yesterday, arriving a little late, after first going to the wrong restaurant - the story of our lives, and more so as we grow older.

Below is the honoree getting ready to sip her tea.


Douce is pictured below with her younger sister Cora Lee, who is a mere 95 years old. The family has good genes. Their mother lived to be 93, I believe, and their father, Emile, lived to be 99. He made a wonderful vegetable garden until well into his 90s, with not a weed to be seen. His secret to a long life was, 'Work hard, and don't worry'...words to live by surely.


The gathering at the long table of members of the party, with a few missing from the picture. You recognize Grandpère's bald pate at the far end of the table.


The youngest member of the party with an early Christmas present, which happens to be a bunny.


And a good time was had by all. In the spring, family members from all over the country will gather for a crawfish boil, which will be another birthday celebration for Douce.

5 comments:

  1. Heh, w/ those genes, I bet one day we're celebrating your 99th too, Mimi. ;-)

    All the best to Douce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JCF, I'm afraid the genes are too different mine to do me much good. If I should live that long, I'd hope to be in such good shape as Douce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He made a wonderful vegetable garden until well into his 90s, with not a weed to be seen.

    Blimey, he's doing better than me - I only wish there was "not a weed to be seen" in my veg garden.

    Douce is in remarkably good shape. Well done her!! Happy birthday, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, just realised that should read "he was doing better than I am" or some such, since he has now crossed the rainbow bridge, as it were.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy, not to worry. I leave out entire words in my comments, with no opportunity to correct without deleting the whole comment. I don't know why I even bother with the preview button.

    I meant to say '...the genes are too different from mine'.... Oh well.

    If Emile was still alive with a 100 year old daughter, how old would he be?

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.