Saturday, December 10, 2011

WRONG SIDE OF HISTORY?


From Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori's sermon at Christ Church Cathedral in St. Louis:
I am profoundly struck, however, by the parallels between the Occupy movement and Jesus’ band of homeless wanderers.

“Whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace to this house!’” It seems to me that most of these bands of campers have done just that. “Remain in the same house, eating and drinking whatever they provide, for the laborer deserves to be paid. Do not move about from house to house.” The Occupiers have shared food, cared for each other, and challenged the rest of us about justice in the size of paychecks. Now those who have been evicted are struggling with how to continue their global demonstration.
From Bishop George Packard at his blog Occupied Bishop:
I've been doing reluctant shuttle diplomacy between the Occupiers and Trinity Church and in a moment of pique I posted this on Trinity's Facebook page:
I have this great worry that this venerable parish will be on the wrong side of history in a few weeks. Surely there's some consummate wisdom in the leadership that can offer Occupiers a chance to express their prophetic destiny in these days. It's a matter of record that the church is good with the provision of service and succor for the neighborhood; they are unable, it seems, to understand their dynamic needs. Plainly said, this means looking afresh at lease arrangements for a season regarding the Duarte property. Think of it as offering hospitality to travelers from our future who bring the message of "no injustice, no more." If we really saw OWS for who they are rather than putting up roadblocks in their path we'd truly delight in their coming!
I thought it was fairly innocuous but apparently they didn't think so and deleted it an hour later. I'm actually sympathetic because who wants a rabble rouser in the system? But actually, I thought, wouldn't this kind of conversation be active in the parish?
As I said in the comments at The Lead, I agree with the bishop. What I'd suggest is that Trinity negotiate with the Manhattan Cultural Council, which owns the lease for Duarte Square, for the Occupiers to use the square until spring when the council installs their exhibit, a suggestion which I'm certain is not original.

That Bishop Packard's comment was deleted at Trinity's Facebook page is surprising and disturbing to me. Whatever side you take in the debate, squelching dissent does not seem wise.

George E. Packard retired as Episcopal Bishop to the Armed Forces and Chaplaincies in May 2010.

Image from the Occupy Wall Street Facebook page.

H/T to Torey Lightcap at The Lead for the link to Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori's sermon.

H/T to Nicholas Knisely at The Lead for the link to Bishop Packard's blog.

6 comments:

  1. It's remarkable that the most politically charged act these days is to pitch a tent.

    Perhaps because so many people make a golden calf out of property rights. Those rights are certainly important, but they don't trump all other rights. It seems to me that churches should understand this most of all, since Christianity's founder "trespassed" on private property all the time and owned none Himself.

    Many Occupy supporters here in New York circulated petitions to get Trinity to make itself available, especially now that Liberty Plaza/ Zuccotti Park is now as clean as death. So far, to no avail. I think it should be deeply embarrassing to the Episcopal Church as well as to Trinity if we had a repeat of the St. Paul's fiasco in London here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless the folks at Trinity change their collective mind, I believe history will judge the decision as a missed opportunity to follow the way of the Gospel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, speaking of censorship: at Episcopal Cafe/The Lead, I called the letter by Trinity's rector (and a comment approving the letter, BOTH bashing Occupy) "ugly", and overnight, my comments were edited out.

    I don't get it.

    Something about Occupy turns otherwise (seemingly) faithful followers of the Gospel into reactionary BigWig-defenders... O_o

    [Maybe you're right, Doug. Something about a tent (Hey, pre-Solomon, it was good enough for G_d! ;-/)]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think about it. The Tea Party is allowed guns at their rallies. I guess there is something about tents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You´re not alone. I´ve written FIVE, count em, five emails to Episcopal Cafe regarding my inability to sign in (I have no problem elsewhere) and comment. It´s seems I´ve been swept clean (during the night, no doubt)...I intend to occupy and keep my campaign to ¨comment¨ from dying the death of the silenced (Ann Fontaine assures I´m not being ¨blackballed¨ and Torey Lightcap doesn´t know why I´m locked out and Jim Naughton says he passed my request to comment on to more savvy tecfolk for help...I await, it´s been over six months).

    ReplyDelete
  6. JCF...censored?

    Leonardo...silenced for six months?

    Cruel and unusual punishment, indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.