Saturday, January 28, 2012

JONATHAN CLATWORTHY ON THE PAPER DOLL

At Modern Church, Jonathan Clatworthy, General Secretary to the organization, wrote an excellent response to Peter Doll's inaccurate and downright insulting essay on the Episcopal Church in the United States and its relationship to the Anglican Communion and to the proposed Anglican Covenant. Doll is originally from the US, but he has served in the Church of England since his ordination. Still, Doll claims to know the church which he says nurtured him well. Peter Doll is Canon Librarian at Norwich Cathedral in England, therefore one would expect the fruits of his personal knowledge and research to exhibit a result that paints an accurate and evenhanded picture of the Episcopal Church, rather than the biased views expressed in the essay.

Keep in mind that Clatworthy is English and that it is entirely possible to arrive at a more realistic and balanced view of the Episcopal Church from across the big pond in the Green and Pleasant Land. That Doll's paper was sent to all the bishops in the Church of England with the stamp of approval from Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams is astounding to me.

Wait! On second thought, as I remember certain of Rowan's statements about the Episcopal Church, I am not so surprised, because Doll and Rowan come to seem more like birds of a feather, which makes me even more grateful for Clatworthy's admirable rebuttal.

I met Jonathan when I was in England, and we had a wonderful, long, chatty lunch in London between his trains, and I speak from personal knowledge when I say that he's all right.

Disclosure: Jonathan and I are both members of the No Anglican Covenant Coalition.

Jonathan Clatworthy lives in Liverpool and is Modern Church General Secretary. He has worked as a parish priest, university chaplain and lecturer in Ethics.

7 comments:

  1. Doll's paper doesn't seem to me to take us anywhere we haven't been before. It reads to me as a further confusion of unity and uniformity with an affirmation of americans as stroppy and arrogant buggers. (A peculiar sin in which I don't believe you have a monopoly.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. theme, you're right, of course. Still, Doll's essay raised my ire, and I'm probably not done with it yet. Before I'm finished, I expect I have an angry rant to get out of my system, in the full knowledge that my rant will do no good for anyone but myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure it's worth your ire but do indulge yourself. I've sent it to the two ex-USA clergy in C of E orders that I know, for their opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like someone is just jealous of The Episcopal Church, ... jealous people always go on rants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. theme, if you can, let me know what the two ex-pat clergy say.

    David G., if I rant, will it mean that I am jealous of Peter Doll?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps God had it in mind for Doll to write his wretchedly false paper so that Jonathan could write his brilliant rebuttal.

    I'm grateful for Jonathon's skill and ability.

    Turns out, Doll is just a Paper Doll. You can dress him up in whatever you like. He's still just a cardboard Episcopal priest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth, I couldn't resist the paper Doll bit. I don't even recognize the church Doll describes. Can such gross ignorance be invincible?

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.