Monday, February 27, 2012

IF WE PAY, WHY CAN'T WE PLAY?


As I understand, the Anglican Communion Office and the Anglican Communion News Service are funded by all of the churches of the communion. The churches have been tasked with deciding whether or not to adopt the proposed Anglican Covenant. One presumes a choice here, whether to adopt or not. Why then do the ACO and ACNS provide only pro-covenant material? It seems to me that the proper and fair thing to do would be to provide both pro and con information, so that the dioceses and the various churches in the communion are better able to make informed decisions.

It's not as though well-reasoned statements against adopting the covenant are non-existent. The No Anglican Covenant Coalition website offers such material from voices of members of different churches throughout the communion, and, in addition, offers pro-covenant material, including a blatantly anti-American paper by Peter Doll, Canon Librarian of Norwich Cathedral, which was sent out to all Church of England bishops by Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams. Why can't those of us who have serious doubts that the covenant is the solution to the present troubles and disagreements in the communion have our voices heard through the ACO and ACNS? Publicizing only pro-covenant material prejudices the vote in favor of the covenant, and the actions of the ACO and ACNS are not right and not fair.

12 comments:

  1. Madam,

    Did you raise your hand to speak?

    Did Dr. Williams recognize you and allow you to have your say?

    Apparently you are simply one of those ¨incoherent¨ troublemakers who want to actually *discuss* important stuff at the Anglican Communion.

    We were told there were a few of you, now look, presto/change-o, you actually think you have a *right* to question the Archbishop of Canterbury (and his do-too-ers)?

    What´s the World coming to? Next thing you know there will be Female Bishops in England and Nigeria too (and the odd, homosexual rushing about at Church).

    Put your pencil down, close your notebook and behave yourself -- remember, you´re *American* and Southern, and really know not what you do.

    Lord have mercy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Grandmere..... Have missed you recently.. I would be very very interested in what you are presently reading... Actually each time I visit someone one of the first things I do is check out their library to see who their textual friends are. I wish everyone would post book suggestions from what they are presently reading. God bless you. Joel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Len, I come from a long line of uppity Southern women, and I often forget my 'place' and misspeak as though I had rights.

    Joel, I'm reading two books: Christianity: the first three thousand years by Diarmaid MacCullouch and The Prophetic Imagination by Walter Brueggemann. Both are quite good. MacCulloch's, at a hefty 1100 pages, will keep you occupied for a while.

    God bless you and margaret in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You inspired me:

    http://leonardoricardosanto.blogspot.com/2012/02/grandmere-mimi-to-archbishop-rowan-if.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bruggeman? Prophetic Imagination?

    You're gonna inspire me to drag that one off the bookshelf, Grandmere....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rmj, it's excellent. I read the book some years ago, and I'm enjoying my second read.

    I recommended the title to a clergy friend who works with Occupy Wall Street.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From the ACO:

    Dear Upstart in America,

    Thank you for your questions. We do so enjoy the idea of ignoring you. Now, run along and do whatever it is you Yanks do, and please stop contributing to the confusion about our most magnificent Covenant. Really, you are no better than an "ecclesiastical BNP."

    ReplyDelete
  8. SCG, I'm heading back to the kitchen in my bare feet, where I belong. Unfortunately, I'm too old to be pregnant.

    Mark, I have a fuzzy memory, too...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes I wonder just how long it will be before I get so tired of being mistreated, misrepresented, and ignored by the ABC that I will just throw in the towell on the whole Anglican Communion project.

    Who knows, someone might just make that decision for me because if the covenant passes it will only be a matter of time until (as Episcopalians) we will be thrown out of the AC.

    If that happens, it will be interesting to see how the ABC replaces the funding once provided by TEC. Maybe he can give +Duncan a call....

    ReplyDelete
  10. David and John, it's not just us; it's the other churches in the communion that are crowded out of decision-making, too. The AC headquarters people are taking on the functions of the Vatican even without the covenant.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.