Friday, February 10, 2012

A SHOUT-OUT TO ROMAN CATHOLIC BISHOPS

From the comments to an earlier post at Wounded Bird:

Tobias Stanislas Haller said...
I keep trying to remind these folks of their beloved Double Effect doctrine, but they clearly don't want that as a way out. The actual use of contraception in the cases in point are so far removed from their actual agency or action that it should not pose any moral qualm at all -- except for the reality that they don't want it no how, no way, by none!

church sponsors, supervises, etc. school > school provides health insurance > health insurer covers contraception > insured takes advantage of coverage and has contraceptive prescription > person fills prescription and > uses contraception. Only the last step is (under their concept) morally objectionable.
Sounds good to me. How about you, bishops?

Tobias Haller blogs at In a Godward Direction.

6 comments:

  1. Tobias, you're quite welcome. I wished for a RC bishop to respond, but in lieu of a bishop, it's good to have you here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I wonder at how the RCC has survived all of this.

    In the UK, things are much simpler, if you want or need contraception your family doctor will prescribe it.

    No need to involve your priest or conscience. And, surely not a matter for confession.

    I can well recall many years ago, when I only had two children, a priest saying sneeringly to me, "Someone is being very clever".

    Which summed up for me the attitude of Roman Clergy. He didn't know us, didn't ask about two miscarriages, didn't have any compassion or humanity to spare for someone, who in his judgement was a sinner.

    Sorry to post as anon, but I need to protect the innocent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous, I wonder, too. My alliance with the RCC was uneasy for a good many years before I finally made my departure at the age of 60, and it was still a wrench. Of course, at the same time, there's much that I'm thankful for in my 16 years of RC education. It wasn't all bad. Fortunately, I knew some good priests along the way.

    After 3 babies in 4 years, I struggled to come to the decision to use birth control, which, looking back, was made unnecessarily painful by the teachings of the church in which decisions were made by celibate old men. What did they know about the struggles in family life?

    Thanks for leaving your comment.

    At times there are good reasons for folks not to post their real names, but it's possible to make up a name that no one would recognize as you, which would make it easier to distinguish one Anonymous from another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the attitude of Roman Clergy. He didn't know us, didn't ask about two miscarriages, didn't have any compassion or humanity to spare for someone, who in his judgement was a sinner.

    Yeah, like that @sshat "FrMichael" who sometimes posts at Elizabeth Kaeton's.

    He said [paraphrased] of HIS OWN FLOCK "We [priests] know they're in mortal sin: they've missed Mass!"

    Assurance ("Jesus is Mine") may be blessed, but certitude ("You're sinning!") is demonic. There, I said it.

    [Whitman: "Do I contradict myself? So I contradict myself!" ;-/]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I've seen Fr Michael's commentary around and about. His mind is closed to any other opinion but his own. He thinks he's always right and that God stands stands with him in his righteousness.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.