Wednesday, March 7, 2012

FURTHER ON THE ANGLICAN COVENANT...PROF. DIARMAID MACCULLOUGH


There are other ways forward, and I urge you if you have anything to do with this process, make sure that this Covenant is voted down.
Diarmaid MacCulloch is Professor of the History of the Church at the University of Oxford and Fellow of St Cross College, Oxford. He was knighted for his service to scholarship in January 2012.
"I was ordained Deacon [in the Church of England]. But, being a gay man, it was just impossible to proceed further, within the conditions of the Anglican set-up, because I was determined that I would make no bones about who I was; I was brought up to be truthful, and truth has always mattered to me. The Church couldn't cope and so we parted company. It was a miserable experience."
From Wikipedia.

MacCulloch's two latest books are Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years and The Reformation, both of which I've read. They are excellent, and I recommend the two publications highly.

4 comments:

  1. Prof. MacColloch is my new fave!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine too, susan s. He speaks with such clarity, as opposed to someone else I'm thinking of. No name, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of him before, but I like the way he talks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Russ, I learned of MacCulloch through his book on the Reformation. He talks as well as he writes.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.