Wednesday, December 19, 2012

END OF THE WORLD?

So real people truly think the world will end Friday? Why not Saturday? Or tomorrow? What if Mayans miscalculated by a day or so? Or a year or so? After all, the prediction was made a long time ago before computers and calculators were invented. What if Mayans themselves don't believe the world will end?
FELIPE CARRILLO PUERTO, Mexico -- Mayan pilgrims often come here to a simple church with a thatched roof to venerate the "Cruz Parlante," or Speaking Cross, which gave their forefathers guidance during a 19th-century rebellion.

But priest Alfonso Ek says lately he's being asked by curious non-Mayans about something he says has nothing to do with his people or their beliefs: the end of the world.

His response: "The world will not end."
There you have it.

Image from Wikipedia.

13 comments:

  1. Well, it's just silly. The 21st is the end of a solar cycle, that's all. If the world ends, great, if not, great, but that's not what the calendar was pointing out - it's the solstice, that's all. I consider it sort of like looking at the Prayer Book lectionary and deciding that, in three years' time, the world will end on the last Sunday of Pentecost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, may I quote you in my blog?

      Delete
    2. You may, Laurel, to whatever end. I generally find people stop listening, when I'm involved. I have a cult of anti-personality.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Laurel, I can't believe people fall for this silliness.

      Delete
  3. I expect to be around tomorrow and Saturday grading final exams while listening to Skeeter Davis sing "The End of the World" from 1963.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you're going ahead to grade your finals, Counterlight. I'd say you make the right choice.

      Delete
  4. Mimi, thanks for the link to the article and video; I've reposted on my blog with a honk to you.

    Brilliant observation from Mark up there. (But keep it quiet - what if it sparked a whole new round of craziness?! I mean, if people are going to see apparitions of the BVM in a peanut-butter sandwhich . . . .)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Help yourself, Russ. Mark is brilliant.

      Delete
    2. That's what I was a-feared of, too, Russ.

      :)

      Generally, if people ask, "Do you think the world is going to end on the 21st?" my response is, "No. As usual, I'll have to do it myself."

      Delete
    3. Mimi, I don't think of myself as brilliant. I call myself an idiot sauvage - I get enraged enough that, sometimes, I get something right.

      Delete
    4. Well m'dear, I hope you don't mind if I continue to think of you as brilliant. :-)

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.