Wednesday, January 30, 2013

SPEAKING OF NIGHTMARES

John Fuseli - The Nightmare
Early this morning, I had not one, but two nightmares.  The first is all but forgotten, but it involves a head-and-shoulders picture of a young woman with reddish-brown hair, wearing a green dress or blouse.  In some way, the picture is vitally important in my nightmare and causes me great anxiety, but why I don't remember.  I woke up, went to the bathroom, and went back to bed.  The question as to whether I dream in color is definitively answered.

I slept again, as I was worn out, only to begin another nightmare.  The second nightmare is one that recurs.  Grandpère hurries me to leave to catch a plane to somewhere or other, and I realize that I've forgotten to pack several vital items, which I cannot do without.  Anxiety, sturm und drang, GP saying, "We have to leave now!", and me saying, "No, we can't!  I have more to pack!"  The items included, medications, vitamins, and a jacket, among other things.  There I am scrambling ineffectively to gather up what I need to stow in the suitcases, with GP saying all the while , "We have to go!  We have to go!" and me saying, "Wait!  Wait!"

Because I am chronically late, and GP usually hurries me along whenever we go anywhere together, my second nightmare is somewhat of a replay of real life, except that the scene plays out with me intensely fearful and anxious. Then, as usual, I woke up with the entire scenario unresolved and me exhausted already, and having to face the day ahead.  What kind of rest is that?

Some of the experts on dreams say that we dream in metaphors, and the key is to discover the significance of the metaphors.  Others, Jungian types, say all the people in our dreams are aspects of ourselves.  Whatever.  Two nightmares in one morning is too much.

Image from Wikipedia.

12 comments:

  1. yes - 2 is too many -- when our son had nightmares we bought him a special anti-nightmare pillow -- but I think you have to believe in it to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the pillow only works for believers. :-) I've had recurring nightmares such as my front teeth falling out, and being chased and lost, but the two this morning were filled fear and anxiety out of proportion to the events of the dream. Well, of the first with the picture, I remember so little, but the atmosphere reminded me of the old movie "Laura".

      Delete
  2. The second is a variation on a classic type. SRSLY, Mimi, we ALL have this one, in one iteration or another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JCF, it's certainly one of my classics, but only since I've been married, which I must admit has been for a long time.

      Delete
    2. It has to be Tom's fault then, it seems to me. You can tell him I said so, if you like, Mimi :)

      Delete
    3. I believe you're right, Cathy. I'll do it.

      Delete
  3. Our friend Kent Steinbrenner posted an article on his Facebook page about sleep and memory: http://t.co/MfwtQfo9

    In my 80s I seem to dream all night -- going to sleep is like waking up in another life that's a stew of previous experiences. I'm usually working on some sort of project like those I did before retiring, with people from all through the years -- co-workers, family (living and dead, at all ages), classmates I haven't thought about in years. Not tiring, and it's a relief to wake up and leave behind the problems I was dealing with in the dream -- but I wonder if my experience is usual. I used to read that people dreamed during REM sessions, with the slow-wave periods of the article more common. Far as I can tell, I dream from sleep to wake. Sometimes, like right now, I don't go back to sleep after a bathroom break. That's annoying.

    Hope you had a better night, and a good Thursday, Grandmère.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Murdoch, the article is interesting. Brain shrinkage from aging. Aarrgh.

      The only dream I remember from last night was being at my daughter's house, and Ann (up there) came to visit with her daughter and perhaps her son. I had minor concerns that the house was not in good enough order, but I would call the experience a dream rather than a nightmare. I was not anxious and worn out when I woke up.

      I usually go back to sleep after a bathroom break, unless I allow myself to drift into worrying.

      Delete
  4. I hope you sleep better tonight too, Mimi, and that your sleep is a nightmare-free zone. xoxo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy. I had a busy, but mostly pleasant, day today, but I need a good a good night's sleep.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciss, please forgive me. I read your comment on my smart phone and accidentally deleted it. Here it is rescued from my email:

      Ciss B:

      Sounds like me lately! Hope you do sleep better tonight!


      Thanks for the good wishes. I'm heading to bed now.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.