Wednesday, February 13, 2013

ASH WEDNESDAY - THE LIGHTNESS OF LOVE

It is necessary that at the beginning of this fast, the Lord should show Himself to us in His mercy. The purpose of Lent is not so much expiation, to satisfy the divine justice, as a preparation to rejoice in His love. And this preparation consists in receiving the gift of His mercy—a gift which we receive in so far as we open our hearts to it, casting out what cannot remain in the same room with mercy.

Now one of the things we must cast out first of all is fear. Fear narrows the little entrance of our heart. It shrinks up our capacity to love. It freezes up our power to give ourselves. If we were terrified of God as a terrible judge, we would not confidently await His mercy, or approach Him trustfully in prayer. Our peace, our joy in Lent are a guarantee of grace.

And in laying upon us the light cross of ashes, the Church desires to take off our shoulders all other heavy burdens—the crushing load of worry and guilt, the dead weight of our own self-love. We should not take upon ourselves a “burden” of penance and stagger into Lent as if we were Atlas, carrying the whole world on his shoulders.

Perhaps there is small likelihood of our doing so. But in any case, penance is conceived by the Church less as a burden than as a liberation. It is only a burden to those who take it up unwillingly. Love makes it light and happy. And that is another reason why Ash Wednesday is filled with the lightness of love.

From Seasons of Celebration by Thomas Merton.

The emphasis is mine.  The words in bold text struck me like a thunderbolt because they are so very true and wonderful as applied to the beginning of the season of Lent.  Let us pray that our hearts may open to receive the lightness of God's love.

And then from my friend, Marthe: 
Ash Wednesday

Rituals, meant to teach, can become
public piety, for show
gloom, dismal fasting, tests to divide,
exclude, not repair the breach
greed and error tears in mortal souls
too weary to hear blessing.
Let these ashes signal life, not threat.


Marthe G. Walsh
Amen and amen. 

6 comments:

  1. Dang it, one of my FAVORITE quotes re Ash Wednesday is by T Merton, and this ain't it. I'm pretty sure it's from "The Waters of Siloe" (his continuation of 7 Storey Mountain, re his early years in the Trappist monastery), but Google is failing me. I wrote it down long-hand years ago, and stuck it in my prayerbook (in the AW liturgy, natch), but I don't have it on me.

    I'll try again later...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JCF, I hope you thought this Merton prayer was nice, too.

      Delete
    2. It's a little heavy on the thinking---and not comfortable in the way my familiar quote is.

      After much looking I've found . . . *part* of it online. Well, you can see all of it, and more, here at this Googlebooks link: http://bit.ly/12CL5Kv [I was wrong re the citation, it's from "The Sign of Jonas"]

      I'll give you the whole quote (the one I keep in my BCP). I'll stick an asterisk from where I'm typing it out! ;-)

      [And yet Ash Wednesday is full of joy.] In a minute we will sing None and go barefoot to get ashes on our heads to remember, with great relief, that we are dust. The source of all sorrow is the illusion that of ourselves we are anything but dust. God is all our joy and in him our dust can become splendor. * The great sorrow of mankind is turned to joy by the love of Christ, and the secret of happiness is no longer to see any sorrow except in the light of Christ's victory over sorrow. And then all sorrow contributes somehow to our happiness.

      "And that's what it's all about, Charlie Brown!" Hope you like, Mimi---a blessed Lent to you.

      Delete
    3. Mimi, I'm really sorry my first comment, above, came across so harsh. I wasn't upset w/ you, or your choice of Merton quote . . . only that I just wanted to *respond* w/ my fave and, being w/o my BCP copied-quote at the time, I was unable to find it via the Google! Frustration! :-X

      Delete
    4. Actually, what I posted is not a prayer but a meditation. No, I was not upset, JCF.

      In the sermon last night, Ron spoke of how it was fine to be happy during Lent. We don't have to pretend to be mournful for 40 days.

      Delete
    5. PS: I do like your Merton. I wish you a blessed Lent.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.