Friday, December 6, 2013

ARCHBISHOP DESMOND TUTU ON NELSON MANDELA

I disagreed with him a number of times, firstly over his government's decision to continue to manufacture and trade in weapons and over Parliament's insensitive decision to grant itself big pay increases soon after coming to power. He attacked me publicly as a populist, but he never tried to shut me up, and we could laugh over our tiffs and remain friends.
....

The world is a better place for Nelson Mandela. He showed in his own character, and inspired in others, many of God's attributes: goodness, compassion, a desire for justice, peace, forgiveness and reconciliation. He was not only an amazing gift to humankind, he made South Africans and Africans feel good about being who we are. He made us walk tall. God be praised.
Read the tribute in its entirety.

The many tributes and eulogies thus far speak far more eloquently than I ever could about the great man.  I especially admire and respect Archbishop Tutu's words on the life and achievements of Nelson Mandela. The two men knew one another well and participated simultaneously in the struggle for justice and equality in South Africa. That Mandela spent 27 years in prison and came to freedom without bitterness is a testimony to his great strength of character.  Who better to speak the tribute than his friend Desmond Tutu?

May Nelson rest in peace and rise in glory. 

Photos from Wikipedia here and here.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the link to this excellent article by the Abp. I have linked to it on my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Russ. One thing I admire about Desmond Tutu's tribute is that he is quite clear that Mandela is human, one with the rest of humanity, yet a man who accomplished great things.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting this, Mimi. I have met Desmond several times. He and my bishop, +John Walker, were good friends. He came to celebrate +John's funeral in '91. I appreciate his sanguine evaluation of the character of Mandela. I like people who can argue but still respect one another. We need more of that. I am disgusted with some of the younger peoples evaluation of Mandel which often just plain racist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muthah, I'd love to have met Desmond Tutu, but it's not likely that I will.

      I like people who can argue but still respect one another. We need more of that.

      Indeed, we do.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.