Friday, September 12, 2014

DIANA - FEBRUARY 21, 1997 - SEPTEMBER 12, 2014

Diana with St Francis

Today we made the difficult decision that Diana's quality of life had deteriorated to the point where it was time to let her go. She was still eating but not enough to keep her weight. Her usual weight varied between 30 and 34 pounds, and she was down to 22 pounds.  She had only one eye, but her eyesight in the eye was very poor.  She was deaf, with severe arthritis, and failing kidney function.  She'd take her medications for arthritis and kidney function only concealed in a piece of hot dog, and she was refusing the hot dog, so she was no longer getting relief from arthritis pain from the anti-inflammatory.
 
Our kind veterinarian, Dr Scott, at Ridgefield Animal Hospital agreed we were not making the wrong decision, that Diana had only a short while to live, and it was unlikely that she would have good days, along with bad days, as had been the case a few weeks ago.


Diana was with us for 17½ years, a good long run for a dog friend, and we are thankful for all the years together.  She was my companion on my walks until a couple of months ago, and I will very much miss our walkies together, but I have been missing her already.

Last Friday, I expressed my grief publicly on Facebook.  For me, Diana's life with us was pretty much over then.  Here's the picture I posted and what I said:

Tom and Diana in her better days
We are watching our dog Diana, who is 17 years old, deteriorate slowly. It's painful and depressing to see our once lively companion in such a sad way. She sleeps most of the time, but she still eats, drinks, and potties outside. She's losing weight because she eats much less than when she was healthier. Diana is deaf, has only one eye, and is nearly blind in the one. She has severe arthritis, but we give her anti-inflammatory medication every day, and she doesn't seem to be in pain. She's also on medication for failing kidney function.

Our benchmarks are if she stops eating, or can't get up, or can't walk, then it's time. Also, the weight loss is a concern. Most likely, we will pay a visit next week to one of our wonderful and compassionate veterinarians for an opinion about her weight.

Diana is in love with Tom at the moment. On the days when he works at the boat museum, she is obviously depressed, doesn't eat, and sleeps most of the day until he comes home in the late afternoon. On the days he's home, she eats better and follows him around wherever he goes until she decides it's time for a nap.
Tom and I are both at peace with the decision, though we know there will be sad times ahead. We will spread her ashes in our yard and garden, which has become a virtual pet cemetery for our dog, Rusty, and the several cats who have shared our lives over the years, but, this time, Tom wanted to be spared the burial.

St Francis, Diana, and azealeas
Rest in peace, Diana.

16 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss! I've made that same decision, and even though it's the right decision, it isn't easy. Saying goodbye is never easy. RIP Sweet Diana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melanie. We waited too long when Rusty was ill from lymphoma, and I did not want to make the same mistake again. Although Tom tends to take longer to make the final decision, he was with me today.

      Delete
  2. I know what it means to lose a devoted companion like that - all my sympathies to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear June, I'm so sorry for your loss. It is an awful thing to lose such a friend. I'm so glad you had each other for the time you did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peace and love and light to you, Grandmere Mimi. Holding you all in prayer and in my heart.
    yours in the struggle,
    Molly (aka Max)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Russ, Lauralew, and Max, thank you for your kind and lovely comments. We were fortunate that Diana was with us so long. We will miss her, but I know we did the right thing today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. June, you and Tom gave Diana a wonderful long life! Helping ease her across the frontier is the last loving act, so hard but so right. Bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary Clara. When I saw just now the last picture in the post of Diana turned away from us toward the azalea bush, I saw it as a metaphor for us letting her go, though I did not at the time I chose the picture. Sometimes we do things without knowing why, and the meaning comes later.

      Delete
  7. Diana, enjoy your Golden Tail, sweet girl. Wag Howdy to Mitzi and Sasha and Bro and Smoky...

    Mimi, :-(...

    {{{Diana's Pack}}}

    ReplyDelete
  8. June I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry for your loss, Grandmere Mimi. What a beautiful, if sad, tribute to such a loving companion. Prayers for peace and comfort as you grieve the loss of Diana.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry for your loss. Been through this and it is never easy.

    Sam Kincade
    Leesville, LA

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your kind words. Today I have the feeling that something's missing and there are things I should be doing. I was not at all sure yesterday when we left for the vet's office that Tom would agree it was time. As much as I miss Diana, I would have been very sorry if we had postponed the inevitable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. keeping you in prayer. Echoing what everyone else has been saying.


    ((((June)))))

    ReplyDelete
  13. I draw-like-a-‘nom-de-plume’ our long-years-of-faith to decipher the voracious dynamic to make a perfectly cognizant, fully-spectacular, Son-ripened-Heaven… yet, I’m not sure if we're on the same page if you saw what I saw. Greetings, earthling. Because I was an actual NDE on the outskirts of the Great Beyond at 15 yet wasn’t allowed in, lemme share with you what I actually know Seventh-Heaven’s Big-Bang’s gonna be like: meet this ultra-bombastic, ex-mortal-Upstairs for the most extra-groovy-paradox, treasureNpleasure-beyond-measure, Ultra-Yummy-Reality-Addiction in the Great Beyond for a BIG-ol, kick-ass, party-hardy, robust-N-risqué, eternal-warp-drive you DO NOT wanna miss the sink-your-teeth-in-the-rrrock’nNsmmmokin’-hot-deal. YES! For God, anything and everything and more! is possible!! Meet me Upstairs. Cya soon…

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.