Monday, December 1, 2014

CONFLICT AT GENERAL THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY


From Kim Bobo at Religion Dispatches:
For more than twenty years I’ve supported workers who exercise their rights to organize to improve conditions in their workplaces. Workers care about their wages and benefits, but what usually moves workers to organize is either concern about their clients, concern about how they are treated, or both.

Religious workers who organize are no different. The General Theological Seminary (GTS) faculty organized out of concern for their students, the seminary and a voice in the workplace.
....

1. The faculty has serious concerns about the dean and his leadership....

2. The board disregarded faculty concerns....

3.The board fired the faculty members when they replied....

4. Replacement workers were hired....

5. The board offered to rehire the faculty and renegotiate terms with each person individually....

6. The faculty members accepted provisional jobs and agreed to a process in order to save their jobs....

This is a labor dispute. I know which side I’m on.
Read the details at Religion Dispatches.

I know which side I'm on, too.  My default position in a controversy between those in power and the powerless is generally on the side of the powerless, in this instance the faculty at GTS, unless there are one or more compelling reasons to take the side of those in power.  The work stoppage was scheduled for a day on which no classes were held, but the Board of Trustees of the seminary quickly moved to terminate the faculty who had not resigned.

The faculty speak for themselves on the GTS8 website, Safe Seminary, and provide documentation of correspondence between the faculty and the Board of Trustees.  The number of "returned" faculty  is now down to seven, because one member of the faculty, Dr Joshua Davis, chose to take severance rather than sign his new contract.
Eight of the ten active full-time faculty members teaching at General Theological Seminary, New York City, have reported very serious problems with the seminary's administration through a number of channels.  After being ignored for months, the 8 faculty wrote directly to the seminary's board of trustees about a hostile work environment created by the Dean and President, the Very Rev. Kurt Dunkle, and then undertook a legal work stoppage.  The Board of Trustees responded that they accepted the faculty's resignations, when in fact the faculty members did not resign.  The 8 faculty members are Dr. Joshua Davis, The Rev. Mitties McDonald DeChamplain, Dr. Deirdre Good, Dr. David Hurd, Dr. Andrew Irving, the Rev. Andrew Kadel, the Rev. Dr. Amy Bentley Lamborn, and the Rev. Dr. Patrick Malloy.
I've been following the story from the beginning, even before the faculty was terminated, and the many details make it a challenge to explain the series of unfortunate events that led to the present sad situation without getting lost in the weeds.  I was stunned by the response of the Board of Trustees to the work-stoppage, which unnecessarily escalated the controversy to a point that made it difficult for the trustees to back away from their position, since they would then appear to be "giving in" to the faculty.  Why didn't the trustees pay attention to the faculty's reports of serious problems at the seminary?  Why didn't the Executive Committee or members of the Board of Trustees agree to to meet with the GTS8 before the situation became critical?

The allegations against Dean Dunkle are quite serious.  It seems to me that if the Board of Trustees had done what was proper from the beginning, which was to place the dean on paid leave until the allegations against him were investigated, and the GTS8 allowed to continue teaching, there would have been much less disruption and turmoil at the seminary for both students and faculty. If the allegations about the dean were found to be baseless, then he could have returned to his position, along with a mediator who would help mend relationships at the seminary.

After more than a month, the faculty was reinstated only provisionally, not to their status quo ante; they were required to negotiate the contracts of their "return" to the seminary individually, an unfair divide-and-conquer tactic; and they lost titles and tenure.  Academic Dean Dierdre Good was demoted even before the one-day work stoppage.

The trustees called upon the law firm of Covington and Burling to investigate the allegations against Dean Dunkle, but no report was ever issued on the findings, and there was only the one statement from the Board that, "...after extensive discussion that there are not sufficient grounds for terminating the Very Reverend Kurt Dunkle as President and Dean."

I find it quite telling that after investigations of both dean and faculty, the details of which little is known, the trustees so swiftly accepted the non-resignations of the GTS7 (formerly 8), terminated their employment, stripped them of titles and tenure, even as Dean and President Kurt Dunkle was permitted to remain in his positions of power, as the board decided after "extensive discussion" that there were no grounds for terminating the dean.  In addition, the faculty and members of the Board are prohibited from discussing the details of their provisional acceptance back into the seminary community, which the faculty never left.  Of what the faculty is guilty to deserve such punishment, we have no knowledge.  How is this justice?
  
The burden of demonstrating to the wider world that justice has been done rests with those in power. Justice must not only be served, but must also be seen to be served.  Commentary by the Chair of the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees is not encouraging.  “I think the trustees felt, who are these people?” Bishop Sisk said.  The actions of the Board of Trustees and the lack of transparency as to the reasoning behind them seem unjust.  Without justice, the seminary itself is diminished as a Christian institution.  Collateral damage extends to the institution of the Episcopal Church and remains, even now, an embarrassment to the church, and to me personally, as a member.  I search for Gospel values in the decisions by the leadership of this Christian seminary, and I don't find them. How do their decisions build up the Kingdom of God?

The Lombard Mennonite Peace Center will begin to facilitate mediation at the seminary beginning in December and continue into the following year.   The faculty requested an ombudsperson to be present in the seminary Close when they resumed teaching, and I have heard that the greatly admired Bishop Frederick Borsch will be at GTS this week, available for any who wish to speak to him.  I'm not certain he is called an ombudsman, but his will be a welcome presence.

The story was widely covered by various news sources, including The New York Times, which reports the story here and here.

17 comments:

  1. Thanks, June. It is distressing that this "business" has been not only opaque, but quite clearly underhanded. Corporate Christianity. What the hell kind of Christianity is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad isn't it? How can the church speak out on justice for workers when one of its own institutions treats employees with such disrespect?

      Delete
  2. Dear June -

    I want to say, first, that I do appreciate your "default setting" for justice and "the poor". We share that "preferential option". I am not ashamed of what I have done for the gospel, including personal, professional and financial sacrifice. I am most proud of the time I've spent in jail and the fines I've paid for civil disobedience.

    I also share your outrage and anger and frustration over the way what is, essentially, a labor dispute has been handled at one of TECs seminaries. From all outward appearances, it was unnecessarily ham-fisted and ugly and punitive.

    What in heaven's name could have prompted this kind of Board response, especially in terms of the allegations made by the faculty?

    Which brings me to the point of this comment.

    I appreciate your attempt to put the "facts" of this sad case together. However, as any first year law student - or, person involved in prison ministry - can tell you, there are many people sitting in jail cells and on death row who were convicted by a deft presentation of "facts", but the truth of their story has not been told. They sit, waiting for justice, their lives on hold. Others have taken "the truth" of their case to their graves.

    Jesus was crucified and died for the "facts" presented against him; however, no one could kill "the truth" of his life and his work and his message, which lives on.

    I hasten to add that I have great sympathy and empathy with the faculty. They appear not to have been treated fairly. At. All. In fact, it is worse than not having been treated fairly. They seem to be bearing the sins of the past failures at the seminary which has brought it perilously close to financial ruin. The word "scapegoat" comes immediately to mind. That's obviously an opinion. I do not know that for a fact.

    I am, perhaps, most distressed to have learned, in the address of the Bishop of NY to diocesan convention, that "the facts" seem to have caused an unhappy division among the GTS faculty. That is a painful truth to have learned from a man who has championed their cause.

    Which raises the question: Why? The "facts" in the case as we know them (and filtered, on both sides, by lawyers) do not seem to support the working theory of "let the punishment fit the crime". It hardly seems "fair" much less "just".

    I fear there is much that we don't know, but I believe that the truth will have out. I also believe that the arc of history does bend toward justice. Indeed, I have seen it bend ever so slightly but very dramatically in my lifetime.

    I know some of the faculty. I know some of the Trustees. There is not a monster nor a demon among them. No, not one. I can not - will not - take "sides" - except that of the seminarians who are the most oppressed by this situation and treated most poorly in this case.

    All I can do at this point, in all fairness and in commitment to a pursuit of learning "the truth" is to stay open to listening to the "facts" of both sides and to remain faithful in prayer.

    That is not a task for the faint of heart. And yet, it is what I feel called and compelled to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So which "facts" do I have wrong?

      Where did I call anyone a monster or a demon?

      Elizabeth, your comment sounds very much like a personal and condescending sermon to me, calling me out for what, exactly? You've done the same on Facebook, and I have not responded at all, but I will here on my own blog.

      If you'd say what you want to say and leave out the preaching and condescending tone, I'd be more apt to try to tease out the meaning of your words.

      Of course you must do as you are called to do, and I must do as I am called to do.

      Delete
  3. Dear June -

    No one said you had any facts wrong. What I said was that facts do not equal the truth.

    You did not call anyone a monster or a demon. Neither did I. I simply said that, in my perspective, there were no monsters or demons on either the BoT or the faculty.

    Unfortunately, taking sides as you have done sets up a zero-sum game, which is one I refuse to play. I'm not "calling you out". I'm refusing to play in a game with "sides" set up to win or lose.

    In my experience when people refuse to play a zero-sum game, they are predictably chided and dismissed as being "condescending". However, when they state their opinions with some passion and conviction, they are chided and dismissed "angry and bitter". It's one of the oldest rhetorical tricks in the book. And, it's predictability speaks volumes.

    As you say, you must do as you are called to do, and I must do as I am called to do, which, for me, is to err on the side of caution and generosity of spirit. Not to worry about hearing from me again on this matter. I will continue to wait and watch and pray that more information will be disclosed and the truth will eventually have out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for summing things up so well Grandmère. I came from a Church where the Laity couldn't question Authority, and I'm glad I left. If the Board is keeping the students and the institution as their top priorities, they've certainly kept it a secret. Seems that General will be lucky to survive, not that I'm any expert. But who would want to go there now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wade, sadly, I fear there will be no winners whenever this sad situation at the seminary is resolved. As Christians, we are called to be a people of hope, so I will continue to pray for everyone in the seminary community.

      Delete
  5. Could you please tell me how this was a "legal" work stoppage? I read the NYT article and it said that these faculty members sent a letter to the Board saying that they were willing to discuss the various issues only after the Board fired the President. When the Board refused to fire the President, the faculty didn't show up for work. That's a "legal" work stoppage? Give me a break grand-ma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, give me a name, any name, and I will have a conversation with you. The name does not have to be yours. Make up a name, as per the request on my sidebar.

      Delete
    2. Since other anonymous comments showed up, I decided to respond to your comment, Anonymous.

      The GTS8 wanted a meeting with the Executive Committee which did not happen. Perhaps you'd like to read the letter the faculty sent to the trustees.

      Also, what Kim Bobo says in the article:

      This situation represents a clear denial of workers’ rights to organize and engage in collective bargaining and retaliation for workers’ exercising those rights. The Episcopal Church has clear principles supporting workers rights to organize and engage in collective bargaining. But somehow, they don’t seem to apply here.

      Also, the attorney representing the GTS8 would not have advised them to proceed with the work stoppage if it was illegal.

      Signed, Grand-ma (but not your grand-ma)

      Delete
  6. Elizabeth Kaeton—could you please cite where in Bp. Dietsche's address he said that "'the facts' seem to have caused an unhappy division among the GTS faculty. That is a painful truth to have learned from a man who has championed their cause." I have just re-read the good Bishop's address at diocesan convention about the seminary and I couldn't figure out what you thought supported your conclusion. If you quote his words, then maybe I would see what you're getting at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's correct June. This doesn't seem to allow me to post except as Anonymous unfortunately.

      Delete
  7. Thank you June Butler for this wonderful piece. I am also concerned about the comments made by Elizabeth Keaton about Bishop Dietsche, She seems to be saying there is a division between him and the faculty or she is saying that + Andy is saying there is a division between the faculty and neither would be correct.

    ReplyDelete
  8. June - that last comment was made by me - Ellen. I frankly do not understand EK's two postings. Is it the Board that is waiting for "justice"? Is it the Board that is waiting in "prison"? Is it the Board waiting to be "crucified"? What is she called to do that is not for the faint of hear? Will she be finding theses "facts" and reporting back to us? And what facts are not known and what truths are not known: are they that tenure was not taken away, tenure contracts were not voided, the Dean did not write the new contracts, the faculty were not rehired on a provisional basis? I don't get it. I wish she would be clear on the items that she does not consider to be facts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As troubling as any other aspect of this story is the many outside the actual events to take sides. I have been on the campus of General exactly once. I simply do not have the information needed to make an informed judgement, do not see how the church will benefit from my making any judgement, and have been silent on the issue.

    I think I shall stay quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, I've only been on the Close only once myself. From what I know, the leadership has acted unjustly, and obviously I have taken a stand on the side of the faculty. I understand if you prefer to wait for further information.

      If "outside agitators" had not spoken out and supported the faculty, I doubt the Lombard Mennonite Mediation group would be at the seminary, and I doubt Bishop Borsche would be present, so, in that way, outsiders may have helped. I also wonder if the faculty would have even been rehired at all if there had not been an outcry about their termination.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.