Monday, January 19, 2015

WHAT TO SAY ON MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY

Icon of Dr King by Tobias Haller.

Today I'm sad that racism is still such a presence in our society. What would Dr King think if he looked around today? I expect he'd be sad, too. Though voters elected President Obama twice, the presence of an African-American in the Oval Office seems to have forced racism from the dark crevices and corners where it always lurked into the light of day in a way that surprised many of us. I don't know what else to say, for the few words I've written came very hard.

Collect for the Feast Day of Martin Luther King
Almighty God, by the hand of Moses your servant you led your people out of slavery, and made them free at last; Grant that your Church, following the example of your prophet Martin Luther King, may resist oppression in the name of your love, and may secure for all your children the blessed liberty of the Gospel of Jesus Christ; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. As with other forms of fear/hate that ¨lurk¨ (and they do and those of us who ¨pass¨ for plain white probably have heard/seen versions of it on the ïnfected¨ end from birth), I really like that prejudice/difference discrimination is exposing itself. Better to see/hear the dread in public. There seems few places left for this nasty infection to hide...it builds, it oozes out and is a posioness to the body of infected. Let it open naturally and drain (or be lanced with fresh information) it makes no difference to me as I think healing will eventually come...worse=better. I love the Mart Luther King Jr icon, thanks Tobias Haller. I notice some of the determined self-righteous NOW claim that others have infected them...what a hoot: FINALLY the self-confusion/delusion ¨better than you¨ sing-a-long is falling flat. Speaking of which, even I WAS embarrassed for Louisiana yesterday with your Governors CNN spew in London...politically demented, he may have lost any hope of a run for President.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leonardo, you make many good points. No one is born racist. Some of us are taught racism from an early age, and I admit that I'm not yet entirely free of the lessons I learned as a young child, and I will probably never be free in my lifetime. At least, I am aware of my problem; I know it is wrong; and I deal with it as best I can.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.