Wednesday, February 28, 2007

On Being A Semi-Recluse

My diocese will have its convention at the end of this week. I wanted to attend to see if I could hear a word of reaction from anyone in my diocese as to the happenings in Tanzania, and TEC, and the Anglican Communion and also, perhaps to catch a glimpse of what the Windsor bishops are about. I am not a delegate, so I would go as a simple person-in-the-pew observer.

But, I find that I am so thoroughly drained by the recent court proceedings pertaining to my son's divorce, that I can't comtemplate getting myself there. Since September, when the family uproar began, I have been in semi-recluse mode. I am not rebuffing contacts, but I am not initiating contacts either. I stay home more, and it requires more of an effort on my part to get out, except to do my granny duties with my two grandchildren.

I feel totally cut off from what my bishop is about, except that I know that he is involved in working on recovery from Katrina with various groups. I was pleased to hear Bishop Katharine's suggestion in her talk this morning for more creative solutions for those in the affected areas, such as services conducted in homes, with eyes on the early church for models. The church is not a building, but a gathering of the people of God.

In addition, I feel cut off from the wider church, except for news reports and internet contacts, and I am truly grateful for the internet contacts. I'd be going crazy (crazier?) without them.

Tomorrow evening we begin our Lenten Evensong program, followed by soup and sandwiches and teachings from the Alpha series. Perhaps the discussions after the teachings will serve as an opportunity for exchanges with others in my own church community about what is going on. We shall see.

11 comments:

  1. You aren't being a recluse.

    You are just modeling your life on the pattern of the desert mothers and fathers.

    Just don't go sit up on top of any towers for twenty years or so. Or if you do, make sure that your laptop has good reception for an internet signal up there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo! Mimi. Taking care of yourself by conserving your energy is not being a semi-recluse. We need you in this blogsphere. So, kick back and get your questions ready for the Alpha discussions. We are already doing home church for health reasons, but there's nothing like good music and a rousing sermon and unison prayers. So, let us say in unison, "Our Father..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dennis and Share Cropper, you make me smile. My husband dragged me out tonight to the dinner of an organization to restore the Louisiana coastline. They do good work, but I've had about enough of the the dinner and speech affairs. I said to him, "Next time go without me, please."

    "...For thine is the Kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll bet you're on your way to Lenten Evensong, food and discussion. Just want you to know that you're in my thoughts and prayers. Post what you can about the session. We'll be interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take care of yourself, dear Grandmere

    ReplyDelete
  6. John, thank you. I am. It's better since the court business is over. I'm laughing at myself now about all the care I gave to deciding on my court dress, since I never got on the stand. I'm thankful for that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gran'mere, we cannot take care of others unless we take care of ourselves. Sometimes knowing that we need to stop and recharge is very important. when we are ourselves in need, we hope that our friends can help us (and fill in for us). I know that the divorce proceedings have been hard for you. I know, being tough as an ol' alligator skin, you will rebound t your previous self. I know that your blog-friends are willing you their strength when you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry, that last was IT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. IT, thanks. The prayers and concern of my blog friends helped get me through. I guess I am pretty tough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you mentioned this:The church is not a building, but a gathering of the people of God. That bit of the PB's talk in which she responded to the person whose church got destroyed in the hurricane made me like her more than just about anything else. She could have been bureaucratic -- "there are initiatives..." but then she went on to be creative. More of that kind of loose-brain thinking and the Spirit might get us out of some of our troubles.

    FYI -- I wandered over from MP's happy looney bin. Assume you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jan, I'm glad to have you visit. Why would I mind? I'm one of the lunatics that rave over there.

    The church is not a building, but try telling that to the members of my congregation about our 162 year old historic church.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.