Saturday, March 10, 2007

Alpha - Part 2

Part 2 of Alpha was better than Part 1. I didn't get the feeling of watching a Billy Graham event this time. I have nothing against Billy Graham, but you can't say that he is Anglican, and I did not find the first Alpha Anglican. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Nicky Gumbel's presentation is low-key compared to the TV evangelists. The subject of this program was "Who Is Jesus?" What followed was a teaching on Jesus as God and man. I'd rather not give away too many details, because some reading this may do the course. I'd rather focus on my impressions.

One thing that puzzled me is that last week we were led in the prayer to accept Jesus into our hearts. Seems to me that Part 2 should have come first, especially for those who were not knowledgeable about Jesus. Before you invite Jesus into your heart, wouldn't you want to know a bit about him?

As the program is pretty basic, I was not sure what those of us more familiar with the basics of the faith are to take from it, except perhaps some sort of renewal of faith.

What caught my attention this time was the slick production style demonstrated in the series. The lectures take place in Holy Trinity Church Brompton in London. The camera focused on the audience (or should I say congregation?) from time to time, and every person shown was raptly attentive. If there were any who were bored-looking or fidgety, we did not get to see them. The church makes for good background for the cameras. Here's a picture if you want to have a look at the interior. Sorry, I don't know how to do pictures on my blog.

13 comments:

  1. My! Holy Trinity has certainly been spiffed up since I was there in 1963.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allen, how about that bright, BRIGHT peach color?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Save the photo from the internet - put your cursor on the pix and then right click if a PC or drag it to the desktop if a MAC. Then go to your blog where you create your posts - there is a little picture up in the left hand corner (next to the ABC - spell checker). Click on that - upload your photo - check the small, medium, large box and the placement (right, left or center) box --- add picture - voila - the program does it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann, I tried, and it didn't work. Then I looked at Blogger's instructions, which stated that one needs permission to use images from another web site.

    I am technologically challenged. That's why I tend to keep things simple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mimi,
    THe peach sure is bright. So is the white of the columns and the vaulting. Since the columns look like wood, I suspect the vaulting is merely decorative and not functional. But it looks good and I like the colors. I wonder if the lighting is special for the picture, or if it is always that brightly lit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann, I do thank you for trying to help. I'm fortunate to have gotten as far as I did with the simple technology of the blogging process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Allen, I'm thinking the lights were bright for the filming. I can't imagine that the church is that brightly lit all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, as long as the production value is slick! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. KJ, have I lost my open mind?

    Those raptly attentive listeners were a definite distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No Mimi, you have not lost your mind. Those are the same looks on faces you will see during any taped program. I see them on PBS all the time during pledge week. Just the other day I was clicking past a Suze Orman show about how to save money, make money, etc. It was the same look. I think they hire those people to sit there and look slightly goggle-eyed. ;-) Have I just been cynical???

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have I just been cynical???

    Absolutely, Susan. And so have I.

    In a comment to my previous post on Part 1, KJ had teased me about saying that I was trying to keep an open mind. I was asking him if he thought I had any right at all to continue to claim an open mind.

    I don't really think I have lost my mind - at least not more of it than was lost before the Alpha course - but, the open mind? Perhaps that's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oops! I misread your "have I lost my _open_ mind?" Didn't mean to imply that you had lost your whole mind! I just don't read as carefully as I should. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. No apology necessary, Susan. You're among friends, most of whom have lost a little bit of our minds, right?

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.