Monday, May 7, 2007

The Fatal Dick Cavett Show

Dick Cavett was my favorite talk show host ever. His was the wittiest and most literate of the talk shows. He'd get in his sly, dry witticisms, but he appeared not to have a large ego. He'd let his guests have the floor in all their brilliance, silliness, egotism, and wildness. Recently, Cavett wrote a piece in The New York Times titled "When That Guy Died on My Show". I'm sorry, but only those with access to "Times Select" can read the whole thing.

I did not remember the incident he writes about before reading the piece, possibly because, quite understandably, the show never aired. Here's what Cavett says:

When I’m doing an appearance somewhere and taking questions from the audience, I can always count on: “Tell about the guy who died on your show!” I generally say, “I will, and I promise you that in a few moments you will be laughing.” (That gets a laugh.) I go on: “First, who would be the logical person to drop dead on a television show? A health expert.” (Laugh.) I go on to explain that he was Jerome I. Rodale, the publisher of (among other things) Today’s Health Magazine. (Laugh.) The irony gets thicker.

My late father-in-law was a great fan of Rodale's and of Adele Davis, whom I view as health food pioneers. I remember his breakfasts of what we jokingly called his "compost heap". The mix included wheat germ, dessicated liver (vile-tasting), brewer's yeast, (not tasty, either), prunes, and other assorted health-promoting ingredients.

However, I do remember my father-in-law speaking of trans-fatty acids as not good, 40 or so years ago, back when no one else was talking about them. He would not eat foods with trans-fat in them. He read labels closely. He lived to the age of 91 with very little attention from doctors, getting their ministrations only in crisis situations. But I digress.

Back to Cavett's show:

He [Rodale] was extremely funny for half an hour, talking about health foods, and as a friendly gesture he offered me some of his special asparagus, boiled in urine. I think I said, “Anybody’s we know?” while making a mental note to have him back.

I brought out the next guest, Pete Hamill, whose column ran in The New York Post. Rodale moved “down one” to the couch. As Pete and I began to chat, Mr. Rodale suddenly made a snoring sound, which got a laugh.

....


To this day, I don’t know how I knew [he was dead]. I thought, “Good God, I’m in charge here. What do I do?” Next thing I knew I was holding his wrist, thinking, I don’t know anything about what a wrist is supposed to feel like.

Next, in what felt like a quick film cut, I was standing at the edge of the stage, saying, “Is there a doctor in the … (pause) … audience?”

....

I went home and looked up Robert Frost’s poem “Out, Out —,” which contains the words, “… And they, since they/ Were not the one dead, turned to their affairs.”

....

Months later, Katharine Hepburn asked me to stop by her house in Manhattan to talk about her possibly coming on my show....Her first words were not “Hello” but “Tell me everything about the man who died.” Her dad was a doctor and she loved, and pretty much practiced on her fellow actors, medicine.

When I got to the part about asking for a doctor, I said, “Why did I take that awkward pause after saying “Is there a doctor … ?”

“Because you knew,” she said, “ ‘Is there a doctor in the house?’ would get a laugh.”


It's funny, but it's not funny, if you know what I mean, but I was reminded of how much I enjoyed Cavett's show, and that there's no one like him on TV now. Too bad.

17 comments:

  1. I missed that show, but I once saw an anthology show which had a clip of Cavett and his guest, a young Robin Williams, improvising mock-Shakespeare on the spot. They were both brilliant, and Cavett was just as funny and quick as Williams. It was exhilarating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that show as well--and would LOVE to have a CD of it--do you know if it's available anywhere? I've done Google searches and came up empty! I'm especially interested now that Robin is with us no more! May his soul RIP!

      Delete
    2. Sea, sorry I can't help you with the Cavett/Williams TV show. Robin will be greatly missed.

      Delete
  2. Nina, there is little left of that sort of exhilarating brilliance on TV any longer. I think it's moving to the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TV is just not a ground-breaking medium anymore. I think there are just too many channels, which makes for lots of imitation and repetition.

    With the exception of my two boyfriends, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PJ, you have competition. Jon and Stephen are my boyfriends too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loathe television, but I remember Dick Cavett with great fondness.

    Mimi--we need a place to hang out while MP is on vacation. In response to a comment that Lapinbizarre left on my blog, I have nominated you.

    Please don't ban me now....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doxy, any and all are welcome to hang out here. I had thought that there was a plan afoot from what MadPriest said in his comments about something hush-hush involving a bad dog, but, so far, nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think he was counting on Clumber to keep us all safely shepherded while he was away---but Clumber is going to be gone as well.

    Bloody Brits---they ought to work 24/7/365 like the rest of us...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mad Priest is on vacation NOW?

    He didn't give us much notice, now did he??

    ReplyDelete
  9. MP asked clumber to take over for a couple of weeks but, alas, the old dog is apparently also away. MP suggested a topic to discuss each day to which we could respond.

    I agree that Mimi is probably the best one to host such. But this blog is so dignified.

    Maybe one of us could set up a new blog - While OCICBW is inhibited... - or something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I found, just by accident, the temporary shelter for our crowd. Not sure who did this but it looks almost the same. "Of Course I Could Be On Vacation..." It is obviously too close to the original to be a coincidence.

    Mimi, did you do this?

    http://notquiterevjph.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dennis, you well know that I do not have the technical mojo to to this. But I have an idea who the guilty part is. It's brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No wonder! I've gone back to MP's pad a few times today wondering what happened!

    D'oh! He just mentioned vaca the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The mother of all commentators. Well!
    I guess that makes me one of the lost generation in between. Mimi, would you mind emailing me? (email link on my profile page from my blog). Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Klady, the powers kept telling me that commenters was misspelled. I suppose that's not really a word, although it seems better suited to blog comments than commentators.

    On the other hand, the powers keep telling me that your blog name is misspelled.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah! The scene of the crime at last!

    Aint nuthin' good as it used to be.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.