Sunday, May 6, 2007

Un Embarras De Richesses

At church today, we had a visiting priest, because our priest is on vacation. He was not old - or so it seemed to me - but he was quite stiff and limited in his movements - I'm guessing arthritis - however, he gallantly did a splendid job with the liturgy. He gave a spirited sermon, choosing as his passage from the Gospel of John in which Jesus says, "Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

He made the distinction between liking and loving and that we have the power of the Spirit to aid us to do what we cannot do on our own. He said that the world needs what it has always needed - love, like in the song, "What the world needs now is love, sweet love." I can't really do his sermon justice, as I don't have it before me.

I know its not according to the rubrics in the prayer book, but at the end of the service, he proceeded to ask a young boy who was celebrating a birthday to give the dismissal. The boy loved it, and did a good job of it, and the congregation gave a spirited response.

Yesterday, I had read MadPriest's wonderful sermon in which he preaches from the same passage in John and says this:

Jesus came to earth to tell people one thing: “God loves you.”

That was the gospel of Jesus. It was the good news that he, himself, while he was with us, preached. Not the good news that later Christians would see in the Christ event, but the good news.


And this:

Look, I’ll be honest with you. There are some people in this church who I don’t “lurve.” In fact, some people annoy me a little bit at times. I am certain that some of you feel the same about me. That’s life. But, I’ll tell you something. If any of you are ever in trouble or sick or dying or feeling that your world is so awful that death would be a release, then I will take the loving option and I will be there beside you. It won’t be perfect - I’m only human - but it will be the best that I can do.

Then this afternoon I read Tobias Haller's sermon on the same passage, in which he channels the same Spirit as MadPriest, from a somewhat different viewpoint:

What is vital is that the Spirit of love — God’s Spirit — should be with us even when there is strong disagreement. And if we find we cannot truly love at all times — for we are imperfect creatures and those we love can be so unlovable sometimes, and surely we ourselves are not always sweetness and light! — if we cannot truly love at our best at all times then it is important that we at least act as if we loved at all times.

....

...The wonder is that if even a simulated love can become genuine, how much more can a real will to love, an enduring, patient love that bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things? This is the hard love, a love that weighs something, and it is often not easy to bear. But it is important, so vitally important that we bear it — that we bear with each other.


What riches! Three sermons in two days, and I will probably read more before next Sunday comes. I suppose that not everyone would agree that it is riches to have three sermons of a weekend. However, each, it its way, sheds light on Jesus' call to love both the lovable and the unlovable among us. The Gospel call to love one another has little to do with our "feelings" toward each other, for what Jesus calls us to do is the work of the Kingdom of God, whatever our "feelings". By the grace of God we do what we must do, and if it involves "acting as if", then so be it.

I think of the members of my congregation, whom God has called together to love one another, to bear each other's burdens. Sometimes the going is smooth; other times I'm rubbing against their rough edges, even as they rub against mine. We're a motley crew, but God has summoned us to be his people of love in this place and this time.

Alleluia! Thanks be to God.

9 comments:

  1. Mimi, today I was struggling with God's love, our sin, forgiveness, and wondering where God's justice comes in. Is God's justice different from ours? We're still in the punishment and reward stage of justice. We're still into rights. God has moved past that. And, where is judgment? Is judgment connected to justice? I believe that God loves me whether I choose to do right (to love) or wrong (to withhold love)....ah, I'd better continue this on my own blog or I'll be writing a long response. Loved the sermons, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Share Cropper, yours are profound questions. Is God's justice different from ours? I'd say that it probably is.

    Is judgement connected to justice? I believe that it is.

    God's love for us has nothing to do with whether or not we love or whether or not we do right. He just loves us.

    We may not always be able to see it, but I believe that the Gospel way that Jesus taught is the right way, in the end, even from a selfish viewpoint. It's the hard way, and we are imperfect humans and often don't live it out, but even if it could be proved to me that Jesus is not God and that Christianity is all illusion, I believe that I would want to live my life according to the teachings of Jesus, as best I could.

    I believe loving, according to the way the two sermons talk about it, is an imperative, as is forgiveness. For myself, it is only with time and God's help that I can get even approach loving and forgiving certain people, but it is vital to hold on to the ideals and to admit that "acting as if" is sometimes the only way to move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said: "For myself, it is only with time and God's help that I can even approach loving and forgiving certain people, but it is vital to hold on to the ideals and to admit that 'acting as if' is sometimes the only way to move forward."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missy, thank you, and thanks for dropping in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Acting 'as if' is one of the most challenging aspects of loving others and living in community. Mad Priest's and Haller's words brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cynthia, I was pleased to share. I found the sermons quite moving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear GM,
    Thanks for the note, and I await the onslaught of visitors!
    peace and joy,
    tobias

    ReplyDelete
  8. No church for us this weekend. My partner's 91-year old grandmother died this week, so we left green Seattle to drive through cattle, sage brush and wheat field country to the furthest southeast corner of Washington State. I cannot put enough "veries" in front of rural to express how rural that area is and I was a fish out of water, trying to be invisible, providing vague answers when asked my connection to the family as Grandma G belonged to an evangelical church.

    During the service, I realized how Anglo-Catholic I've become, missing the liturgy and the visual symbols to which I've grown accustomed.

    One savvy lady saw through the situation and made a point of engaging me in conversation. She quickly made it clear that she was an Episcopalian by birth and loved being Episcopalian since no one worried about what you believed.

    Ahhh... A little bit of home and love in very, very, very, very very, rural Washington.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kj, please extend my sympathy to your partner on the death of his grandmother. She lived a full life.

    How many times did you actually have to say, "Oh, I'm not with him"? I'm pleased you found that one nice Episcopal lady.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.