Friday, May 11, 2007

Jane Austen And Irony



Chawton Cottage



Reader alert! This post is totally self-indulgent of my great admiration for a certain lady's writing. Those of you not interested in Jane Austen can move along before reading further.

In the event that you may have wondered, I am not the person pictured on my sidebar. That is an engraving taken from the only known portrait of Jane Austen made during her lifetime, done by her sister Cassandra. You can see the portrait here. I wanted to put the picture at the top of the post, but I would have to purchase rights from the National Portrait Gallery in London. I sent them an email just to test how it's done, and here is the initial automated response to my email:

Over the next few weeks, we are implementing some changes to our systems in the Picture Library, aimed at improving the services we offer. During the interim period, there may be some delays, and it will be more important than usual for you to contact us well in advance of your deadlines. As usual, we will do our best to help, but offer our apologies, in advance, for any delays, and hope you will bear with us.

The very next day, I received a personal reply:

Thank you for your enquiry below.

If you wish to licence NPG 3630 from the Picture Library, for use on your blog, for a licence period of up to three years, we would charge a licence fee of £18.00 Pounds Sterling. If you proceed in licensing NPG 3630 from us at this cost, we would allow you to use the larger thumbnail of NPG 3630 that appears on the Gallery's own website at....

As you see, the staff member was quite courteous and sent a prompt reply, but, much as I love Jane Austen, I'm not paying the equivalent of $36.00 for the use of the picture. Yes, I'm cheap. Certain museums, such as the Vatican Museum through their Christus Rex site and the Metropolitan Museum in New York, allow free use of illustrations of their holdings.

The quotation beneath the picture on my sidebar is from my favorite of her novels, Pride and Prejudice, words spoken by my favorite character in the novel, Elizabeth Bennett. I consider the words as my philosophy of the proper use of irony.

When I was 16 years old, I read a chapter from Pride and Prejudice that was included in my English literature textbook. It was the chapter in which Darcy first proposes to Elizabeth in a haughty and insolent manner, and she, of course, refuses. The characters and the glimpse of the story captivated me, therefore, as soon as I could, I went to find a copy of the book to read the whole thing.

I adored it. She writes beautifully. Her gift for writing dialogue is unsurpassed. Make no mistake about it; I am passionate about her writing.

I rather quickly went through the other five completed novels, and I loved every one of them. P&P will always be my favorite, but the others move up and down in my list of which is my second favorite. Through the years, I have read all of her books over and over, and I never tire of them.

For a good many years I trekked to New Orleans to attend the meetings of the Jane Austen Society there, but after Katrina, new leadership took over the group, and the events were not to my taste.

One year I traveled to the national convention of the Jane Austen Society of North America held in Santa Fe, of all places. A surprising number of the folks who attended seemed to eat, sleep, live, and breathe Jane Austen. I'm a devotee, but she's not my whole life. Some wore eighteenth and nineteenth century dress to the dinners.

Sometimes I wonder if my tending toward irony is genetic, since my father was a master of irony, but he sometimes used it cruelly toward his wife and children. I hope I don't put it to cruel use. Tell me if I do. Or was it learned at his knee? Or was it learned by reading Austen's books over and over?

Several years ago, I attended a study program on Jane Austen at Oxford University. We stayed in student rooms during the summer break. It was awesome - at least to me - to stay in those hallowed halls, which I had read about and seen in movies and on TV. We took day trips to Steventon, the church where Jane's father served as vicar. We saw the house in Winchester, where she died at the young age of 41, and the cottage in Chawton on the grounds owned by her brother, Edward Knight, where she lived until she moved to Winchester to die. She is buried in Winchester Cathedral.

During one program lecture, as we were discussing irony in Austen's writing, a woman asked the lecturer to explain irony. She said that she had never been able to "get" irony. As I remember, our lecturer was a bit stunned, but, of course, he tried not to show it. He was surprised, I believe, because he must have been wondering why she had crossed the ocean for a program on Jane Austen without having any concept of irony. I can't imagine what one would make of reading Jane Austen without an understanding of irony.

I give you the first words from Pride And Prejudice:

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

Reading the words literally, with no understanding of irony, what does one take away? I talked to the woman afterwards, and she declared that she truly loved Jane Austen's writing. I didn't have the nerve to follow up and question her about what attracts her to Jane Austen's works. I suppose that it's like reading Trollope; one can read simply for the story.

Over the next couple of days, I will have only intermittent access to a computer, so posting will be light or not at all.

Have a lovely weekend, my pretties.

27 comments:

  1. I have never been able to get "into" Jane Austen - you encourage me to try again. Maybe it is the "irony." The current generation of our kids' ages are adept with irony. It drips from every sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just ignore 'em, they're not going to bother you, particularly over the thumbnail. Do you have this, more sombre, image?

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65454617@N00/493713893/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoever you are, Anonymous, thanks. If you'd make up a name, and sign your posts, I'd like that.

    No need to register.

    I don't feel right about using pictures under copyright and/or without permission.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, one solution would be to ask Brother Causticus to auction a license for you on Ebay. But wouldn't it be nicer to pool all the bids and give all in excess of the license fee (and proper postage for the cheque -- don't ask ++ABC how much to put on) to a worthy cause? something for Katrina rebuilding in New Orleans or the scholarship for Gayle? Even the license fee goes to the National Portrait Gallery, right? Just a thought.

    BTW, I liked this from the article today at Episcopal CafĂ© - "Effective philanthropy isn’t about asking for money, it’s about linking passions."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mimi--I too am a Jane Austen and P&P fan.

    I would even go so far as to suggest that the heated conversation between Elizabeth and Lady Catherine de Bourg is the single best piece of dialogue in the English language.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doxy, wasn't that absolutely the best? Jane's dialogue is unsurpassed.

    Of course, to speak like that in a general conversation, one would have to take long pauses between phrases to get anything approaching that quality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodness for the internet. I had Emma nearby but was not sure which shelf or household had P & P. It is available at various locations online, but of course I picked the one in La. at Beauregard Parish Library
    The dialogue begins on p. 245. I'd forgotten, I'm afraid, how extraordinary it is. To think that I stayed away from Austen when I was young because I was put off by the idea of a woman writing about marriage and finding a suitable husband. What a woman indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thought I was signed in when I sent the picture. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Klady, thanks for the link and the idea for the auction. I'll consider it.

    Imagine finding the link in a library in Louisiana.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lapin, now I can thank you personally. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read Jane Austen in so long; you make me want to dig into the stacks. I loved her when I was in college.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I was in my early teens and reading Austen a little too soon, I didn't get most of the irony, but I loved the perfection of the language--like written Mozart--and the clearly drawn characters. Now I read for the irony as well, and can be heard to laugh aloud.

    The first time I finished Persuasion (now my favorite), I cried because I had read all the Jane Austen there was. I didn't realize then that there is always more to find in her work.

    I worry that the kids today have too much irony; can they speak from the heart, do they know their hearts? Austen has that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Missy, I hope that you dig into the stacks. You won't be disappointed.

    Nina, I suggested Pride and Prejudice to my daughter when she was assigned an English novel, and she started it and said, "Give me another name. I don't like this at all." I was crushed. Austen's not for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wouldn't worry so much about that. My own daughter is just 13, and devours books, but she loves contemporary young adult fiction, and my gentle suggestions of Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte (not to mention Robt. L. Stevenson) have so far been politedly rebuffed, which I think is fine.

    I doubt that I would have taken to Jane Austen at that age. I would not have "gotten" her, I am sure.

    And there is a difficulty, for young people, in reading about another time, even one so close to us, relatively speaking, as the Regency. As we get older that becomes part of the attraction of books from other ages, that ability to enter into another world, to say, "Oh, what a different life they led!" And to then, on reflection, with the passage of time, to say, "But also how just like ourselves!"

    I was recently looking at a memoir of Jane Austen by her nephew James Austen-Leigh. It provides an interesting perspective:

    "Of events her life was singularly barren: few changes and no great crisis ever broke the smooth current of its course. Even her fame may be said to have been posthumous: it did not attain to any vigourous life till she had ceased to exist. Her talents did not introduce her to the notice of other writers, or connect her with the literary world, or in any degree pierce through the obscurity of her domestic retirement....I was young when we lost her; but the impressions made on the young are deep, and though in the course of fifty years I have forgotten much, I have not forgotten that 'Aunt Jane' was the delight of all her nephews and nieces. We did not think of her as being clever, still less as being famous; but we valued her as one always kind, sympathizing, and amusing. To this I am a living witness...."

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read Pride and Prejudice in high school (long long ago) and didn't "get it." I could not understand the economic circumstances of the people. Consequently, their motivations were incomprehensible.

    Then I grew up and became more complex and reveled in all of Jane Austen in my 20s. I think many of us simply live in too small worlds as young folks to quite "get" Austen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been dozing at the wheel on this one. The stipple engraving is the frontispiece to James Edward Austen-Leigh's 1870 "Memoir". It is long out of copyright in the UK and has never been in copyright in the US. The earliest reciprocal copyright treaty dates, as I recall, from the mid-1890's. The NPG owns the original drawing by Cassandra, for use of which payment would be appropriate, but it has no legal right whatever to the engraving, beyond any which might relate to the two individual impressions in their collection. So go to it. I've posted a large-ish copy on my flickr site, which you can lift and download without guilt. Maybe you might use for the immediately adjacent scan on my page.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65454617@N00/495529967/

    Years back I read "Pride & Prejudice" in the three-decker, Egerton first edition. It was an interesting experience.

    ReplyDelete
  17. In 1983, when I was in the 8th grade, I found a copy of Pride and Prejudice on the floor under a table in the food court of our local mall. I started reading it and fell in love with the book and with Jane Austin. Within a year or so I had read just about every one of her books. They were way over my head at the time but I loved them anyway.

    I might be an Episcopalian because of Jane Austin, in a way. Austin led me to the books of other 18h and 19th century English writers like Anthony Trollope. My senior year, while I was attending an Episcopal high school, it dawned on me that the school chapel services I had been hating so much were somehow the same thing as the church from the world of Austin and Trollope and Dickens and others and somehow I started really liking them. And then at 18 (in 1987) I moved to Scotland. By accident I wandered into the chapel when an Anglican service was just about to begin. I figured I'd stay. It couldn't be any worse than the chapel services at high school. Within three months I was confirmed.

    It was the realization that the world I loved to read about in Austin and Trollope and other English writers still had a church in the here and now that opened my mind to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Janinsanfran, perhaps some fans of JA come to love her books later, and I understand why. I was smitten at 16, but by then I was already reading English novels like those of the Brontes and Dickens.

    Rick, I'm not losing sleep over my daughter not liking JA, but I was crushed at the time. She's 37 and has never read her books, so I guess it won't happen.

    I'd take what her nephew says about her life with a grain of salt, especially this:

    "Of events her life was singularly barren: few changes and no great crisis ever broke the smooth current of its course.

    She loved and lost Tom Lefroy because of money - not enough on either side. Then there was the curious incident of her getting engaged to Harris Bigg-Wither one day and then breaking the engagement the next morning - while she was staying at his house, no less - necessitating a speedy departure.

    The nephew's memoir was the bowdlerized version of her life, not that there was much of anything that needed cleaning up. He makes her sound rather dull.

    Lapin, isn't the picture on my home page a version of the stipple engraving? I wanted to use Cassandra's original portrait at the head of this post, but it was not to be.

    Dennis! Eighth grade? That is young for taking up JA.

    I was pretty well steeped in Anglicanism from high school age on. In the end, all those English novels may have resulted in my joining the Episcopal Church and feeling at home so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Comparison of your engraving and the one I just posted indicates that there are two engravings, or maybe an engraving and a lithograph. For quick comparison, there is more detail in the folds of the sleeve on the left-hand side of the portrait I posted, and a larger view of the chair back. It's more than likely that the 1870 engraving was copied for editions published later in that century & in the early 20th c, but life's too short, to me at any rate, to follow up that one.

    Far more interesting is the decidedly sour expression on the face of the original drawing, "improved" for publication. It does not suggest that Miss A. relished the time spent sitting for her sister.

    ps In fact, there are more than two engravings. There's an even more gussied-up one here:

    http://www.talesforallages.com/patricia_pics/jpegs/jane_austen.jpg

    plus there's a decent reproduction of the drawing - better than the one on the NPG site, at any rate - here:

    http://mars.gmu.edu/dspace/html/1920/999/JAFace.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  20. When I saw the portrait at the NPG, I was surprised by its small size. I purchased a reproduction of the portrait which is quite good, very like the original. The portrait is unfinished, but for the face and hair.

    Many fans are disappointed that the picture suggests that Jane was not a beauty, but how good a likeness it is, we don't know.

    The engravings have tended to alleviate the prim set of the lips in the original.

    Thanks for the information. That's about as far as I want to go, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good morning, Mimi. Like you I'm a JA enthusiast (although I'm a heretic in that I think 'Emma' to be better than 'P&P'), so it was great to read this post. I also love George Eliot and think 'Middlemarch' to be the finest novel in the English language. Are you also an Eliot fan?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tim! Good to hear from you. I've forgotten about you since you became a world traveler. No. In reality, I'm jealous and trying not to pay attention.

    Emma is a wonderful book, and I love it. It often takes second place in the canon.

    Eliot is another of my favorites, and Middlemarch is her best. The course of Dorothea's marriage to Casaubon is nearly unbearable to read. I find myself physically recoiling in certain passages. It's powerful writing.

    I would suggest two rivals for best novel in the English language: Pride and Prejudice and Henry James' The Ambassadors. I'd leave Middlemarch in the running.

    It's odd, but I thought I'd get few to no comments on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I posted the last response in error before I had finished editing it. It was a bit of a mess. Try again.

    "James the Old Pretender" seems a strange choice for one who, one assumes, appreciates Miss Austen for the sharpness and precision of her style, an achievement all the more remarkable when you compare her writing with the output of many of her contemporaries. Many years ago I owned a copy of the two-decker first edition of "Confidence", widely believed to be James's worst novel. It had been presented by James to Turgenev, during a trip to Paris, and contained Turgenev's book-label. Interesting provenance. I bought it for rather less than it was worth and sold it, three or four years later, for far, far, far less than it would now be worth. We live and - I hope - learn.

    Assumed that the Winchester tombstone had served its purpose when you downloaded it. No ideological reason for deletion. Will gladly it back up if you wish.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lapin, there's no accounting for taste. I have never had a look at Confidence. James once said that he had "the imagination of disaster". I have it too, so perhaps I see him as a kindred soul.

    The brother of a good friend of mine, Joseph A. Ward, wrote a critique of James called The Imagination of Disaster. He presented me with an inscribed copy, which I treasure until this day.

    Ward was a professor of English, and he presented the book to me when I was in college, my first inscribed copy of a book. I was totally grateful and awe-struck that he gave me the copy, I suppose because he knew that I already loved James back then.

    Ward's book is quite accessible, not filled with academic jargon, and I have read it and enjoyed more than once.

    Yes, the picture had served its purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Austen ephemera - from the "Old Foodie" blog, bookmarked on today's page.

    http://theoldfoodie.blogspot.com/2006/11/ox-cheek-and-dumplings.html

    When I was a kid we cooked them weekly for dog food (lucky dog, in retrospect).

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lapin, I checked the link to Jane Austen's comment on cooking ox-cheek. I think I'd rather leave it to the dogs.

    She must have been referring to an inside joke in the letter to Cassandra.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.