Wednesday, September 26, 2007

My Response To The HOB Statement

Last night, I reacted to the statement of the House of Bishops in the comments of other bloggers, such as Richard at Caught By the Light and Fr. Jake at Fr. Jake stops the World. In the light of the morning, what I said last night deep in the comments does not look bad, so I hope that Richard and Fr. Jake don't mind if I steal my own words.

From Caught By the Light:

Grandmère Mimi said...

"Richard, I spent today in a glum mood, because the number of troops that have died in Iraq turned the 3800 corner and because I expected the statement that actually did come out of the HOB meeting.

They cannot have it both ways regarding our LGBT brothers and sisters.

They cannot say this:

We proclaim the Gospel that in Christ all God's children including gay and lesbian persons, are full and equal participants in the life of Christ's Church.

and this:

'to exercise restraint by not consenting to the consecration of any candidate to the episcopate whose manner of life presents a challenge to the wider church and will lead to further strains on communion.' The House acknowledges that non-celibate gay and lesbian persons are included among those to whom B033 pertains.

and this:

We, the members of the House of Bishops, pledge not to authorize for use in our dioceses any public rites of blessing of same-sex unions until a broader consensus emerges in the Communion, or until General Convention takes further action.

and expect us to believe that the first statement and the two latter statements can be true at the same time.

That they probably could not have done very much more, makes it no easier to swallow.

Just as with the war in Iraq, in which only the troops and their families and friends pay a price and are asked to sacrifice, with the rest of us living our lives as usual, so too, with the HOB. What sacrifice do the bishops make, even as they ask their GLTB brothers and sisters to bear the brunt of the sacrifice?"

8:15 PM, September 25, 2007

And then, when I read at Fr. Jake's that some of my virtual gay and lesbian friends felt that this was the last straw and that they would be heading out of the Episcopal Church, I issued this plea from my heart. I don't blame them at all, and I have no right to ask them to sacrifice themselves, but I did anyway:

From Fr. Jake Stops the World:

"...all of you GLTB folks here, you should not have to ask for recognition of your humanity. It's unconscionable. And that this request comes from those who are responsible to God as your shepherds makes it all the worse.

I won't tell you what to do, but I will tell you that I need you to stay. It's your choice whether to stay or whether to go, but I will be diminished if you go.

I believe this fight is for now and for those who come after. Time is on our side - maybe not enough time for many of us as individuals - but as MLK said, 'The moral arc of the universe bends at the elbow of justice.'

We need your help in the fight. You are witnesses as I can never be a witness. I have not ever experienced cruelty or prejudice as you have. I have only your words and your presence to bear witness for me."

Grandmère Mimi | Homepage | 09.25.07 - 9:53 pm | #

14 comments:

  1. Yet again -- you have the words of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mimi, thank you for expressing what I feel and believe. I am so disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both comments are beautiful and well said.

    Though I have to admit that if I was a gay man in TEC right now, I'm not sure what I'd do. While I see your point and agree with it on many levels, staying would be a hard choice to swallow, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good words, Grandmère, made all the better because they are true.

    Jarred, like Mimi, I hesitate to say what I've said elsewhere, but I'm going to recycle my material anyway. Do I have to use quotes if I'm quoting myself? Anyway, this morning at OCICBW I wrote:

    I'm free! I'm free! And they can't take that away from me. I don't need TEC to be free, but I think that it needs me for it to be truly incarnational. I think those that follow us need us where we are, being who we are, as they will have different battles to wage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no right to ask GLTB members of TEC to stay, nevertheless, I do ask, because I know them and love them - in real life and virtually - and I need them to stay.

    What these cherished brothers and sisters do is up to them, and whatever they decide, I will not criticize them.

    I believe that KJ says it quite well:

    I don't need TEC to be free, but I think that it needs me for it to be truly incarnational.

    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear GM., they most definitely should have left out the words "full and equal."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heartbreaking - thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tobias, then it would have read:

    We proclaim the Gospel that in Christ all God's children including gay and lesbian persons, are participants in the life of Christ's Church.

    thereby giving themselves a bit more wiggle room.

    When is "full and equal" not really "full and equal"? Now we know.

    Fran, it is heartbreaking, but we have hope.

    We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

    ReplyDelete
  9. Romans 8:28 is one of those passages I passionately believe, but only on a very large scale and over a vast timeframe. I don't mean that the small items are overlooked or insignificant, they all play a part, down to subatomic events. I just have trouble seeing it consistently proven on our limited scale. Still, I believe it. Thanks, Grandmère for reminding us of it.

    Thank you also for your comments here. And for adding me to your blogroll. That shamed me because I visit you at least once a day and had not listed your blog on mine. Now done!

    I think you are sweet no matter what MP says about you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tobias said:
    Dear GM., they most definitely should have left out the words "full and equal."

    I've been playing with this thought all day.

    I'm glad they said "full and equal." But they left something out:

    We wish we could live out as well as proclaim the Gospel that in Christ all God's children including gay and lesbian persons, are full and equal participants in the life of Christ's Church. However, our hands are tied and we feel constrained not to untie them (although we could.)

    It is almost thirty five years since Bishop Paul Moore told a group of women deacons who presented themselves for ordination to the priesthood that his "hands were tied." It was a voluntary tying then and so it is now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paul, you're right about the passage from the other Paul. No proof, but there is that hope that springs eternal and keeps me going.

    As for the mad one, you should see the latest indignity:

    I was rather hoping this whole thing was a "hallucinatory dream." Including you, you (officially) evil bit of stuff!

    He was addressing ME. How's that for nastiness? Thanks for thinking I'm sweet. MP's ungentlemanly behavior takes its toll.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have so worried when reading his vicious attacks on you. Then again, life is so dull when he's on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah yes, Allen, the "my hands are tied" defense. They didn't try that one.

    I was expecting what came out from the meetings, but I hoped for something better.

    A little honesty would have gone a long way. Do they think that we won't notice contradictions?

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.