Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Feast Day of Lancelot Andrewes


From James Kiefer at the Lectionary:
Lancelot Andrewes (1555-1626), Bishop of Winchester, was on the committee of scholars that produced the King James Translation of the Bible, and probably contributed more to that work than any other single person. It is accordingly no surprise to find him not only a devout writer but a learned and eloquent one, a master of English prose, and learned in Latin, Greek, Hebrew and eighteen other languages.

Before the day was done, I had to write about Lancelot Andrewes - and don't you love that extra "e" in his family name? - because I read a wonderful book called God's Secretaries, by Adam Nicolson, on the history of the writing of the King James Bible.

In my humble opinion, the KJB is a literary masterpiece. I'm told by those who know more than I that the translation is not as accurate as later versions, and I believe them, but the literary quality of the language is unmatched by any subsequent translation.

Imagine! A literary masterpiece written by a committee! However, the author says that the masterpiece came forth precisely because of its being written by a committee of scholars.

As Nicolson says:
The translation these men made together can lay claim to be the greatest work of prose ever written in English. That it should be the creation of a committee of people no one has ever heard of - and who were generally unacknowledged at the time - is the key to its grandeur. It is not the poetry of a single mind, nor the effusion of a singular vision, nor even the product of a single moment, but the child of an entire culture stretching back to the great Jewish poets and storytellers of the Near Eastern Bronze Age. That sense of an entirely embraced and reimagined past is what fuels this book.

Thanks be to God for Andrewes and the fellow members of the committee. The KJB served the church well for many a year. Now we have superior translations, but nothing even close to it in quality of expression.

READINGS:

Psalm 63:1-8 or 34:1-8
1 Timothy 2:1-7a
Luke 11:1-4

PRAYER (traditional language)
O Lord and Father, our King and God, by whose grace the Church was enriched by the great learning and eloquent preaching of thy servant Lancelot Andrewes, but even more by his example of biblical and liturgical prayer: Conform our lives, like his, we beseech thee, to the image of Christ, that our hearts may love thee, our minds serve thee, and our lips proclaim the greatness of thy mercy; through the same Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever.

UPDATE: Since I have seen references to Lancelot Andrewes as a "prayer warrior", I have included one of his prayers.

Faith
Coming unto God,
I believe that He is,
and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him:
I know that my Redeemer liveth;
that He is the Christ the Son of the Living God;
that He is indeed the Saviour of the world;
that He came into the world to save sinners,
of whom I am chief.
Through the grace of Jesus Christ
we believe that we shall be saved
even as our fathers withal.
I believe verily to see the goodness of the Lord
in the land of the living.

9 comments:

  1. Grandmère Mimi, My brother and I both read early and both of us, in our youth, had vocabularies that were considered beyond our years. He believed that much of it was derived from being exposed on a regular and intensive basis to the King James Bible. He pointed out that not only did we both learn to read by following along as it was read to us, but that the words were explained to us and we were required to memorize large blocks of it and to then explain the meaning to our elders. Even though he later rejected much of what we were taught, he said he felt that in many ways his children were cheated by not being exposed to the Bible at an early age, and most especially the King James Version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boocat, I believe that. I missed out on the KJV as a child growing up in the Roman Catholic Church, for we were not encouraged to read the Bible. In fact, I think the KJV was on the "Index of Forbidden Books". OBICBW.

    I'll bet reading Shakespeare was a snap for you and your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a funny bible story that I will share soon. This nice to read although, when you read my story you'll learn that I am not much of a KJV'er!!

    Thanks Grandmere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this reminder that the King James is to be treasured and beloved. It is a pity that the more accurate versions don't display the same command of English. I miss the familiar pronouns "thee,thou, and thy" in modern English. I also found it interesting that the KJV was done by committee including Lancelot Andrewes (a wonderful name)though I was aware that later versions were by committee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not much of a KJVer myself either, although I agree it is beautiful language. And it is quite a GOOD translation for its time. It did not have the benefit of some manuscript discoveries we have now. It is Shakespearean english, which is both its beauty and its trouble. Not everyone who swears by the KJV (I think fundamentalist sects, i.e.) understand the changes in the language.

    That being said, I am quite a fan of Lancelot Andrewes. T.S. Eliot quoted him, you know, at the beginning of his poem, "The Coming of the Magi".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fleur, the lofty cadences of the prose are beautiful when they're read aloud properly.

    Diane, the author makes the point that the translation was excellent for its time with the materials then available.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grandmere, you can find the story at my blog at Fran's Bible School, Sort of!

    ReplyDelete
  8. At first I was marveled to see such a blog.Your blog is sparkling. It has a great appeal. How are U able to cope such a lot.

    Meet me at
    http://gwb-chinese.blogspot.com/
    Waiting with curiosity. To know your innovation.

    And if you want to learn chinese,please visit at
    http://www.chinesepal.cn
    or
    http://www.chinesepal.cn/first/learn-chinese/index.htm
    Thanks again and looking forward for more of your posting soon!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.