Saturday, September 1, 2007

Wounded Bird


Painting by Luiz Coelho, Sr.

Luiz Coelho is a dear virtual friend who lives in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and works in one of the poorest Episcopal parishes in the city, Christ the King, located in the City of God slum - one of the most dangerous in the city. God bless Luiz and the priest, Fr. Eduardo, with whom he works and the people of the parish.

Luiz's father, also named Luiz, passed away in 1990. He was an artist. Luiz sent me a link to the website which features pictures of his father's art, paintings and water colors, which the family still owns. The site includes a brief biography.

Luiz pointed out to me that one of the paintings is named "Wounded Bird". His father painted the picture a few months before he died, and Luiz helped him to choose the colors and the title. When I went to the site, tears came to my eyes when I saw the painting. There it is up there, with the same title as my blog. Isn't it beautiful?

I asked Luiz' permission to link to the site and copy the painting and post here. I choke up every time I look at the picture. It seems like a gift from God.

Luiz blogs at Wandering Christian.

Note: I corrected the name of the parish in which Luiz works.

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Luiz and Mimi. Simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, thanks. It is beautiful.

    Luiz, I loved doing it. The painting makes my blog beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my- how lovely. What beautiful art and the work of God being done.

    I am so deeply grateful that I have become a regular visitor to Grandmere's... it is one of the most unique and lovely blogs I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luiz, how beautiful your father's work is, and Grandmère Mimi, how cosmic, as we might say in my former California home. Don't you love the way the Holy Spirit does Her thing? Thanks to you both -- and to Luiz's father and to the Spirit who lives and breathes among us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing. I want to say, "How beautiful. How beautiful," over and over. I know that the Spirit of God is alive and at work in the world today.

    Thanks be to God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She pours out Her life to us all, and takes us unto Herself: such loveliness that rushes through Her creation! Thanks to Luiz, father and son, and to Mimi for their witness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Johnieb, welcome back. I hope you are well - as well as you can be after losing your mama. May the Spirit of the living God give you comfort, healing, and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Mimi; haven't I made it back to grandmere's yet? Gracious.

    I've been playing catch-up with many online friends--to thank them for their prayers, thoughts, and support. Given my walkabout character, this must be done in a number of places, but--trust me--I know what it's like being at the end of the alphabetical list.

    I was also catching up on news at Jake's just now; it's hard to imagine anybody worth noting ignoring or being mean to a Cajun queen with serious mojo resources (except the verifiably insane and ordained of the CofE), but ya know you can just call out my name, and wherever I am, I'll come running, to take yer back in any unpleasantness.

    Love from CT, you old sweetie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Johnieb, they're never not nice to me at Fr. Jake's. They talk around me. I think I'm not combative enough or interesting enough or whatever. It doesn't matter, because I see more anger in the comments than I'm comfortable with, although I do like to read Fr. Jake's posts.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.