Saturday, November 10, 2007

In Honor Of All Veterans


Image from the U. S. Dept. of Veterans affairs.

To all who have served in the armed forces of our country, I honor and thank you for serving. I honor you who have served in wars, you who have experienced the horror of war. I honor you who have returned from war wounded in body, mind, or spirit.

I honor your loved ones who waited, and worried, and prayed for your safe return. With them I join in thanksgiving for your return home.

Lord God, Almighty and everlasting Father, I ask your blessing upon all veterans today. Pour out your love upon them and bring healing of body, mind, and spirit. Grant all strength and courage as they go forward, and, Lord God, give them comfort, consolation, and your peace that passes understanding to keep their minds and hearts.

UPDATE: Doorman-Priest has a beautiful post for Remembrance Day.

UPDATE 2: From Frank in the comments:

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.


Laurence Binyon

The text of the entire poem, For the Fallen, is here.

10 comments:

  1. Ditto.

    You have said it better than I could.

    Thank you, veterans.

    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, I searched and searched for a poem and a prayer by someone else, but I found none that suited me. I wanted something uncontroversial and suitable to honor ALL veterans.

    At some sites, folks were arguing about the prayers because there was mention of victory or because there was prayer for the enemy. I gave up and decided to do it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, thank you. we have remembrances in our church service tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They shall not grow old
    As we who are left grow old
    Age shall not weary them
    Nor the years condemn
    At the going down of the sun
    And in the morning
    We shall remember them

    Semper Fi! Rich; thank you Bobby and all you other guys out there. May you rest in peace, rise in glory and never be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frank, thank you. Amen to your prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen amen amen to this and the way in which you have pursued it.

    You are a beautiful spirit dear Grandmere and an inpsiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all. I struggled with this one.

    Frank gave me a poem, for which I'm grateful.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.