Friday, November 23, 2007

Socksuality

From the The Rev. Canon Tim Smart in the Montreal Anglican.

From washer to dryer to folding, I'm sure we've all experienced the missing sock, the lone sock, only one of a pair.

For many of us, the remedy has been to put the lonely sock quietly away in the dresser drawer and forgot about it; claiming that singleness is now its true vocation.

But for a significant minority, the answer has been not to consign the single sock to the everlasting darkness of the drawer, but to mix their socks: gray with black, brown with beige, blue with navy blue. We now call such people Hetero-socksuals – people who wear different kinds of socks at the same time.
....

Most of us have been reared in a culture and a religion which has blessed homo-socksuality as the norm. The idea of people wearing different kinds of socks at the same time has sounded perverse and unbiblical.

In the past, hetero-socksuals had to be discreet. They wore long pants to cover their different socks. They avoided crossing their legs while seated and rarely wore shorts in public.


Please go read the rest of the piece at the site, as I may have already quoted too much. Here is a glossary to help you to better understand the article.

Glossary of Terms:

Homo-socksuals: those who wear the same-socks
Hetero-socksuals: those who wear different kinds of socks
Bi-socksuals: those who will wear same socks, or different socks
A-socksual: those who wear no socks at all.


Thanks to Ann for the tip.

6 comments:

  1. And you, a grandmother! This post has shocked the socks off me, and told me more about deviant practices than I wanted to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, I know. It is shocking, but we need to know this information, and I felt obligated to help spread the word. Tim Smart is smart, isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so funny and so relevant to a mother's life with ALL those different socks and missing ones being sucked into the washing machine somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this I love this I love this.

    Don't tell anyone, but sometimes when I am feeling lonely and confused, I go out with a sock on one foot and no sock on the other.

    Then I have always had some "socksual confusion and ambiguity".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, too. No more waiting for the mate to show up. Just mix them up and wear them, or be like you, Fran, totally socksually confused and ambiguous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a- or bi-, depending on the season. :-)

    Tag, if you want to.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.