Monday, December 31, 2007

Blog Review For 2007

Thanks to Jan at Yearning for God for the idea of doing a review of my blog year. I started writing on January 22, 2007, and I am approaching my one year blogversary.

I laughed when I returned to my first entry, because I set up my faux blog simply to be able to comment on other blogs. Well, there was this blank screen, and the rest is history, as they say. Here is the first sentence from the first day of each month of 2007:

January - "My friends, I don't really have a blog."

February - "Some months ago at MadPriest's place, there was a long comment thread on New Orleans-style red beans and rice."

March - "Copied verbatim from Scout Prime at First Draft: People's Rebuke for Bush's Photo Op in NOLA today"

April - "Later, perhaps tomorrow, I'll write my impression of my trip to New Orleans with Scout Prime and Athenae from the blog First Draft and the other folks in our group."

May - "This large painting by Manet was part of the exhibit from the Met at the Houston Museum of Fine Arts."

June - "Padre Mickey in Panama is the man to see for the commemoration of the early Christian saints."

July - "You absolutely must go read this hilarious post by Richard at Caught By The Light."

August - "WASHINGTON, Aug. 1 — Former Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said today he felt terrible about the military’s flawed handling of the death of Cpl. Pat Tillman, the former football star who was killed in Afghanistan."

September - "Clergymen struggling to comfort the afflicted in New Orleans are finding they, too, need someone to listen to their troubles."

October - "Remigius was the Bishop and Apostle of the Franks."

November - "The mound of rotted drywall and moldy planks piled recently outside the wrecked house in Algiers looked more or less identical to the countless heaps that have littered the New Orleans landscape since Hurricane Katrina."

December - "According to UNAIDS estimates, there are now 33.2 million people living with HIV, including 2.5 million children. During 2007 some 2.5 million people became newly infected with the virus. Around half of all people who become infected with HIV do so before they are 25 and are killed by AIDS before they are 35."

I began my review laughing, but by the end, I was not laughing. I won't write too much here about the experience of blogging, because I want something left to say on the actual anniversary. I thank all of you who have visited here and who have left comments. I have enjoyed my exchanges with you more than I can say. The engagement with others, as much as my writing, is what gives me pleasure in the blog.

22 comments:

  1. Well congratulations, Granmere Mimi, in advance of your blogversary. I was delighted that your "faux blog" became a very energized and entertaining blog. It's great, and I'm proud to have met ya in person.

    Press on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mimi, your blog is a blessing, and so are you! Happy New Year. I hope you and Grandpère have a feast planned, large or small.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oyster! The no. 1 response! You da man! You win awards and all. I'm proud to have met you, too.

    I will press on, although this blog is beginning to consume my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane, thank you. You and your blog are a blessing to me, too. I pray you and your loved ones have a Blessed and Happy New Year.

    I have to use IE to leave comments at your blog for the time being, because I cannot see the word verification letters on Firefox. I hope this gets fixed, since I do not like IE.

    Also, my little trash cans to delete comments have disappeared. I wonder if other Blogger users are having the same problems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandmère Mimi, I cannot imagine what life would be like without being able to log onto the web and read your blog each day. Whether or not we ever see each other face to face, I feel that you (in our virtual neighborhood)are as much true friend as anyone I know in my actual neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I blogged first when I was along the MS coast doing relief work after Katrina. But the blogs I now have got started the same way as yours--a way to comment on others' blogs. Isn't it interesting that we begin to find our voice when there is a blank screen upon it?

    Thanks, Mimi. Your commentary is important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great idea, Grandmere, and happy almost anniversary. I have enjoyed your blog almost year-round.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grandmère Mimi, I'm shocked! You've only been blogging a few months longer than I have! Yet I'm completely frivolous, and you're… Grandmère Mimi!!

    It was so wonderful to meet you back in October. And a bit overwhelming… in a very, very good way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog is a great mix of fun and challenging. I always find refreshment here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS The trash can is there for me to erase my comments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad you yielded to that empty page and began blogging, Grandmère. My life would be poorer without you. Congrats. I may try review of the year myself later in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It certainly has been an interesting year and you have been a big part of the positive side of it, Mimi. Meeting you and the others in New York was a definite highlight. And your thoughtful blog makes me feel a little embarrassed of mine. Well, not really. We are two different types of people. I'm glad there is such diversity in the world and in TEC. Hugs. And Happy New Year!

    Shel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks to you all. I look at the names of all who have commented, and I see many wonderful writers among you, whose blogs I have enjoyed reading. I am humbled.

    Ann, I don't know if it's my Norton security or Firefox or Blogger. Blogger has been acting up lately for me, and Norton has, too. Plus, I am a techie dummy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Light years ahead of me, Mimi: happy 'versary!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I tried leaving a comment earlier and it seems not to have made it. Perhaps Blogger's gone all wonky.

    I am so glad you yielded to the temptation of that blank page, GM, we are the richer for it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a year it has been.
    Glad that I've gotten to know you and the rest of the crowd this year.

    What museum shall we wander through this next year? new Orleans Museum of Art? The Museum of Antiquities in Newcastle-upon-Tyne?

    Looking forward to another year of fun and debates and pulling my hair out and swearing that i'm over and done with the whole Anglican wars thing and crazy music and photoshopped pictures of Pope Benny and all the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope Blogger or whoever gets fixed. I'm going back and forth between IE and Firefox, and my trash can is missing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. To echo Jane R--your blog is a blessing and you are, too! Funny and sad at the same time. A good retrospective glance anyway.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your blog is one of my favorite places. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm late coming to the party, but nonetheless earnest in saying I'm very grateful for your blog and for your participation in others. You're a true blessing, Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kirstin and Lisa, thanks. I enjoy yours, too.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.