Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!


My funny valentine
Sweet comic valentine
You make me smile with my heart
Your looks are laughable
Unphotographable
Yet youre my favourite work of art

Is your figure less than greek
Is your mouth a little weak
When you open it to speak
Are you smart?

But don't change a hair for me
Not if you care for me
Stay little valentine stay
Each day is valentines day


Virtual hugs and kisses all around. Mwah, Mwah, Mwah!


UPDATE: Today is truly a saints' day. St. Valentine has been dropped from the calendar of saints, nevertheless, Paul has a lovely icon and prayer in honor of Valentine. Whoever he was, or whether he ever was, he has left his mark.

And, of course, our master biographer of the early saints, Padre Mickey. has a wonderful post on Sts. Cyril and Methodius, whose official feast we celebrate today in the Episcopal Church.

UPDATE 2: The prayer for today's celebration of the feast of Cyril and Methodius is quite timely and appropriate:

PRAYER

Almighty and everlasting God, who by the power of the Holy Spirit moved your servant Cyril and his brother Methodius to bring the light of the Gospel to a hostile and divided people: Overcome all bitterness and strife among us by the love of Christ, and make us one united family under the banner of the Prince of Peace; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever.

UPDATE 3: Oh, my goodness, yes! Another update. Here's a wonderful bit of history of the celebration from Rmj at Adventus. How fortunate I am to have such scholars for blog friends.

14 comments:

  1. I love that song, GM. ¡Besos de Albuquerque! (I'm sure GP know they're chaste.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chaste kisses? That's a theme for a song, Paul.

    Chaste kisses, chaste kisses,
    All I get are chaste kisses.
    Oh, how I want some lover's kisses!
    Lover's Kisses, lover's kisses.


    The tune is coming to me as I type.

    Kirstin, love is all around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it's coming to you from NC, Mimi!

    Happy VD, as we used to say in grade school! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And from a continent away.
    Be my Valentine today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's see now. In the US, I have the East Coast covered; the West Coast is covered; and greetings come from across the sea.

    DP, I will be your valentine, spouses notwithstanding. How's the essay on Baptism coming?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got an email message two days ago from a college buddy from whom I have not heard in many years. This reminded me that 43 years ago today (how's that for precision?), he, I and three other friends walked to the Sunday morning service ("mass" - it was a bells and smells church) at a parish church a couple of miles from the campus. About half way there we were distracted by two sparrows having frantic, furious sex in the middle of the street. Dust everywhere (it was a back road) and totally engrossed in what they were doing - we could have picked them up or stamped on them without their noticing. Being a town boy, I had never before actually witnessed the mechanics of bird sex, so I was extremely impressed.

    At the church, the priest broke off about a third the way into the service to do the "kiddy homily" thing. He comes down to the children in the front pews and asks "Do you know what day it is today, children?" Lots of muttering and many "No, Father's", until finally a kid yells "It's St. Valentine's Day", at which point Fr. Sparks said "That's right, children, it's St. Valentine's Day - when the little birdies take a mate"!

    Our pew disolved into screams of uncontrolled laughter and damn near had to be carried out, handkerchiefs stuffed in mouths. To this day, when I hear the words St. Valentine's Day, I always think of those two sparrows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It just keeps getting better and better today! Thanks, Mimi.

    I will leave those lover's kisses up to your red-hot fellow swamp denizen, Grandpère, but I am always good for chaste kisses and warm bear hugs (a specialty, moderated for those who would crush in excessively ursine embrace).

    Such lovely company here! I want y'all for Valentines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Sweet Mimi, thanks for this and all you do. Here's a virtual set of hugs and kisses on V-Day. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy valentine's day!!!!
    (I Had a glass of wine tonight and can hardly type.)
    (going to bed now.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so late to the party but happy very belated but filled with love Valentine's Day!

    My time and calendar are a mess and I miss being able to visit more frequently.

    Plus I should come here first and not fritter away what little time I have at OCICBW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fran, someone should have warned you. OCICBW is addictive. MadPriest should post that info in large letters on his sidebar.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.