Thursday, April 3, 2008

Sazerac State Cocktail Of Louisiana?


From the Times-Picayune:

BATON ROUGE -- The world-famous Sazerac, a cocktail conceived in 19th century New Orleans, picked up its first round of legislative support Wednesday as the state's official cocktail.

Without objection, the Senate Committee on Senate and Governmental Affairs toasted Senate Bill 6 by Sen. Edwin Murray, D-New Orleans, sending it to the full Senate for debate.

Murray added a provision that the bill would go into effect when Gov. Bobby Jindal signs it. Murray said he does not foresee any opposition to the measure.


What a relief to know that the Louisiana legislators are up in Baton Rouge doing serious business and not wasting time and money or anything. In truth, the citizens of Louisiana are probably better off with the legislators focused on this sort of thing, rather than making mischief in ways that could actually affect our lives.

The ingredients in the cocktail were not spelled out in the bill. Some contend the drink should be made with rye and others say it must be made from bourbon.

Murray said the drink is one of the oldest in the nation and the oldest created in New Orleans.

The drink was concocted in the 1830s by Antoine Amedee Peychaud, a pharmacist who fled from Haiti to New Orleans.

He used bitters he created as part of the drink and mixed it with Louisiana cane sugar and imported French brandy.

Peychaud's bitters is still a key component of the drink.


There you have it. Go make yourself a Sazerac, put on some good music, sit back, relax, and let your imagination rove where it will.

UPDATE: For a taste of the mischief cooked up by the Louisiana legislature in its last session, see Jim at JindalWatch. Of course, they were stirred up to do this bit of mischief by Governor Clean, who chooses as his example the Bush maladministration, the masters at doling out money to their cronies.

13 comments:

  1. I find this much happier than reading about what goes on in Congress. Thanks for the local color, Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does my heart good to see the government working so determinedly for the the common good. This is clearly an important step forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely! I love Sazeracs. When I get around to visiting you in N.O. we are going to waste an afternoon downing them at Galatoire's bar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul, Lindy, this made my day when I read it in the newspaper this morning.

    Dennis, as we're downing our Sazeracs, we will have the added satisfaction of knowing that we are drinking Louisiana's official cocktail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't believe that MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) would let the SC Legislature get away with designating a State cocktail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lapin, you're probably right about SC. Despite the havoc wreaked by Katrina, Louisiana's most densely populated areas are still in the southern part of the state, which is heavily Roman Catholic, where folks do like their cocktails - and their beer, and their wine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Until now I had never heard of Sazeracs, but I feel an urge to go out an try and find the ingredients. I need a cocktail like that to warm up the still chilly NY spring!

    Praise the Lord for Louisiana's Roman Catholics!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen, RR, else the state would be in the grip of the Baptists. Now I love my Baptist brothers and sisters, but their lifestyle just ain't my lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, it's not as if there's really anything important to fix or repair or completely re-do in Louisiana, right? I thought absinthe had been re-legalized, though. No competition?

    ReplyDelete
  10. PJ, I thought so, too - about absinthe being re-legalized. Maybe someone will Google and find out. I'm having a lazy day, myself. Just putting up other people's stuff. Way to blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Only Louisiana would get a state cocktail! I love it. Now I want to taste a Sazerac. I don't believe I had one during my visit to NOLA several years ago or I'd remember.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank goodness that things are moving down there in Louisiana! Legislation that makes a difference.

    Let them live in trailers, the sazerac will pave the way to a new life!

    Sorry, couldn't help myself.

    Mimi I realized I never shared this post with you. My blogfriend Bubs had a fine visit to New Orleans recently. In another post (the one above the one I link to here) he specifically mentions the "state cocktail" that fueled this post.

    One last thing... Yes people- absinthe is legal once again. One can even purchase it here in my sleepy suburb in the farthest reaches of Smalbania.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jane and Fran, it's good to know that the legislators have their priorities in order.

    Fran, I visited Bubs and left a comment there. Beautiful pictures of the old lady. Thanks for the info on absinthe.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.